NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

I really do like that the graphics finally acknowledge that most TV's/smart screens show every bit of data and no longer really need a safe zone designed in the 50s, and actually show most of the entire picture, so it's an out of the way graphics package unlike many noisy sports and news packages which overload you with statistics or information (still waiting on DraftKings to officially sponsor presidential odds and polls 🙄).

But yes, 'breaking news' has become just as bad a term as the George Carlin Seven to me. It's overused and 'Developing Story/News' carries the story just as well.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

NBC debuted some refreshed SR L3s this morning. The bug is now more closely aligned to MSNBC.

IMG_1381.jpeg

The Special Report L3 update was not necessary. It was perfectly fine before.  If anything, they should be trying to look less like MSNBC for bias purposes.

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

My dislike for this lower-third is strong.

image.thumb.png.195cad11f46c8b7b153a7996295d93d1.png

They need to stick to a left to right orientation rather than trying to place shorter captions in the middle.

This whole update reeks of change for change sake, rather than actually needed a refreshed look. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, squiggy said:

Here's the same shot cropped for a phone.

Untitled design (2).png

Yea. You can see how it fits well for the digital aspects. People have got to understand that some viewers are not watching newscasts on TV. They are watching on Snapchat, Instagram. The media companies are changing to adopt to it and remain relavent. That's why they had to do what they did, from having the simple two Ns, to having a simple l3rd. They're trying to have a digital focus, while seeing how it looks on the big screen. And they did it good to me. 

I only have two negatives. They didn't use the simple two Ns more than I thought they would. And, they could've incorporate real time graphics, like a data of locations and time zones of it, local news there, etc. Basically like what ABC O&Os are gonna start doing in a minute. 

They could've done more. But for the way it is, it's a good product. 

Edited by Horizon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, squiggy said:

Here's the same shot cropped for a phone.

Untitled design (2).png

Good point, but the rest of the graphics would not fit a vertical phone orientation, so I think it's more a result of the centered alignment and not a vertical strategy.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Good point, but the rest of the graphics would not fit a vertical phone orientation, so I think it's more a result of the centered alignment and not a vertical strategy.

It is a fair point but personally speaking, if I want to see something larger, I just turn my phone horizontally. 

Is that from youtube? From what I've seen YouTube doesn't let you do full screen for horizontally recorded videos.

Off topic...can the public please record eyewitness video horizonatally (or even personal videos). You can capture more action in frame that way. 

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, jd285 said:

Tonight’s edition came from a virtual recreation of Studio 1A.

I mean we can tell it looks virtual and kudos for them for making the reflections on the anchor desk.  The few changes I’d make is that it appears the larger desk that is rarely used was either scanned in or added in virtually. Second, in lieu JDB sitting at what I assume is the small desk of 1A which may be keyed in, I’d remove it and ad a physical desk where they could zoom out from. Then maybe make it where the desk in front of the wall can be removed, and maybe add some dynamic lighting. 

I did find it interesting that for the most part they kept the studio as is as opposed to cleaning it up. One example is the video wall that’s used for OTS and on Today weather. They kept the seams in the metal that are there in real life. 

Edited by rkolsen

Using a virtual set for the Saturday night show, which is typically broadcast from Miami where Jose Diaz Balart is located is not new.  He does not seem to come to NY often to broadcast from 30 Rock.  Makes sense with his other duties.

• Like 1

I don’t understand all this work to make it look like 1A. Just tell the viewers it’s coming from Miami. I remember when I was a kid almost all the weekend shows come from dc on abc and NBC. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

I don’t understand all this work to make it look like 1A. Just tell the viewers it’s coming from Miami. I remember when I was a kid almost all the weekend shows come from dc on abc and NBC. 

They just want a uniformed look. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I mean we can tell it looks virtual and kudos for them for making the reflections on the anchor desk.  The few changes I’d make is that it appears the larger desk that is rarely used was either scanned in or added in virtually. Second, in lieu JDB sitting at what I assume is the small desk of 1A which may be keyed in, I’d remove it and ad a physical desk where they could zoom out from. Then maybe make it where the desk in front of the wall can be removed, and maybe add some dynamic lighting. 

I did find it interesting that for the most part they kept the studio as is as opposed to cleaning it up. One example is the video wall that’s used for OTS and on Today weather. They kept the seams in the metal that are there in real life. 

They should ditch the desk from the wide shot. Looks like something from 90s CAD home decorating software. 

Some weird audio garbling of his voice at the end. 

• Sad 1

On 7/22/2023 at 10:05 PM, rkolsen said:

I mean we can tell it looks virtual and kudos for them for making the reflections on the anchor desk. The few changes I’d make is that it appears the larger desk that is rarely used was either scanned in or added in virtually. Second, in lieu JDB sitting at what I assume is the small desk of 1A which may be keyed in, I’d remove it and ad a physical desk where they could zoom out from. Then maybe make it where the desk in front of the wall can be removed, and maybe add some dynamic lighting.

While the virtual 1A is a bit jank, honestly so glad they finally did this, the Saturday editions with the insanely tight shot the entire show was always horrible, it didn't look like the level of quality you would expect from a national network. They didn't necessarily need to make a full blown virtual set but the camera was always way too zoomed in and you could tell the lighting was not great.

The new virtual set:

image.thumb.png.4997fb9259f898f0ccebc172877d0d20.png

Looks 100x better than the old setup:

nbc-nightly-news-weekend-studio-1a.jpg

Edited by bgiesing
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, bgiesing said:

While the virtual 1A is a bit jank, honestly so glad they finally did this, the Saturday editions with the insanely tight shot the entire show was always horrible, it didn't look like the level of quality you would expect from a national network. They didn't necessarily need to make a full blown virtual set but the camera was always way too zoomed in and you could tell the lighting was not great.

The new virtual set:

Honestly, I always thought the Saturday edition looked, off but I just couldn't put by finger on why. But now it makes sense! Honestly though your lucky to get the quality of the old Saturday look in small markets or even school productions (which as the helm of a school newscast, the stereotypical or small market feels are something we try to avoid, even with a green screen)

16 hours ago, bgiesing said:

The new virtual set:

Wouldn't it just be easier just to say reporting from Miami, Jose Diaz Balart?  Why the make believe he flies from Miami to NY to Miami every Saturday?  Then they don't have to do a virtual copy of 1A, or 3C in the past and any future 3X studio.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2023 at 6:33 PM, NowBergen said:

Wouldn't it just be easier just to say reporting from Miami, Jose Diaz Balart?  Why the make believe he flies from Miami to NY to Miami every Saturday?  Then they don't have to do a virtual copy of 1A, or 3C in the past and any future 3X studio.

From what I’ve been told Telemundo likes to dabble in VR. Al Rojo Vivo I think initially when they moved to the Telemundo Center they rebuilt  the set I believe the large curved wall for ARV in the home shot is a green screen as was the corner where the host would sit  at a see through table. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Drew said:

I might be the only one but I like the old logo more 

You're not the only one, the font was more distinctive and stood out a little more.

1 hour ago, gbsgeo said:

Special Report updated to new NBC News logo. 

IMG_3498.jpeg

I'm still not a fan of the peacock logo without the white border next to the NBC NEWS text, but peacock in the background still has it. lol

Edited by RCA TK47
  • Sad 1