NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

I really like the title logo. Simple, yet bold.

I love the slit on the opposite sides of the N's, which of course correlates with the short N\N logo.

(Sidebar: the G reminds me of the SNL

pre-season 40 logo, which I also love).

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

Very bold look, at least judging from that one image. This is interesting:

Wonder if it'll feel more like NBC News Now with the design.

The description from the article made me think of NBC News Daily.

Edited by PTVNews
  • Like 1

we will see how this goes but I would hate for them to adopt some bland flat look over what they currently and used to have.

Since NBC-NN is most likely dropping the latter L3, I think they'd look really good on  O&O stations.

IMG_2910.jpeg

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 2

Nightly did a retrospective of the last 75 years- kind of interesting how much they featured Brian given his unceremonious exit from the anchor chair (it feels like Today has snubbed former hosts for less).  

Lester ended the broadcast hinting at Mondays changes before stepping off and showing an empty Studio 1A with the old look

04FC068C-2E20-45B5-9FE1-B10D28E95002.jpeg

7A007B28-B21C-436E-9CAC-2D51B2F7FA54.jpeg

982AC441-AFFA-45B3-A6A1-20BC2A03ED4B.jpeg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Nightly did a retrospective of the last 75 years- kind of interesting how much they featured Brian given his unceremonious exit from the anchor chair (it feels like Today has snubbed former hosts for less).  

Lester ended the broadcast hinting at Mondays changes before stepping off and showing an empty Studio 1A with the old look

04FC068C-2E20-45B5-9FE1-B10D28E95002.jpeg

7A007B28-B21C-436E-9CAC-2D51B2F7FA54.jpeg

982AC441-AFFA-45B3-A6A1-20BC2A03ED4B.jpeg

Are they staying in 1A?

I’m assuming Nightly News will move into a renovated studio 3K sometime next year (well before the election) since WNBC is moving to studio 3B. NBC could get a flagship studio for elections and specialty coverage out of the deal and Nightly News will finally have a real home. Studio 3C stays with MSNBC & NBC News Now and studio 1A can get a full, and needed, renovation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

Studio 1A, as always. No reference was made that they'd be leaving for tonight's relaunch.

As others have stated,  they do not have a studio to move to if that is a decision to be made.  3A is for MSNBC, 3B is being reconstructed for WNBC and WNJU, 3C is MSNBC and 3K is the current WNBC studio.  4E is MSNBC and NBC News Now, 6A is being reconstructed for Kelly Clarkson, 6B is for Jimmy Fallon Tonight Show, 8G for Late Night with Seth Meyers and 8H for SNL.  Once WNBC moves sometime this year, then they can redo 3K if they decide to move Nightly back in.

The update is… fine. I do like the new logo. The insert graphics, particularly the lower thirds, need some work. I hate the little chip for story content, it feels like a tired old local news gimmick. It and the thin arrow make the banner appear very crowded. The best looking part of the package is probably that repeating N logo loop in the background. It’s nice they updated, but it’s nothing special. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Geoffrey said:

I'm surprised the lower-thirds go to the edges and bottom of the screen. I thought that style was long gone.

The margins on everything are so tight this looks like a social/streaming-forward design more than broadcast. I'm super surprised they went with Bebas. It's EVERYWHERE these days.

• Like 4

I like the look, also it appears the legacy NBC News mark might’ve been retired for one based around the current NBC logotype. It was used in the bug and the L3s, while in comparison, CNBC’s was the current when used in the L3 for one story. 

Something to keep an eye out on for other NBC properties. 

Edited by mightynine

2 hours ago, MidwestTV said:

The only thing I dislike is still how the top stories are all "breaking news." A fad ABC started that I won't forgive. If everything is breaking news, nothing is.

I'm glad someone else noticed that ABC is the origin of this madness.

The lower thirds are a downgrade from what they had previously, but it's better than the typical flat white rectangle. 

The new graphics look OK. I could definitely see these on MSNBC. The background behind the coming up graphics would look really good on the local O&Os.

image.png.62d8326a2f6f60594e29985768a6f34d.png

Nothing special, but still better than CBS and ABC. NBC can typically be trusted to have the best graphics of the big three. Let's just hope they can make it out of studio 1A eventually.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

The only thing I dislike is still how the top stories are all "breaking news." A fad ABC started that I won't forgive. If everything is breaking news, nothing is.

Still, could be worse. They could be talking in incomplete sentences and flagrantly using the present participle instead of speaking like normal human beings.

I think the new graphics look good enough. I do think the tease graphics are a downgrade, though; lower thirds are simpler and convey headlines much better then whatever they’re doing with these new graphics. There’s also a non-zero chance that the 3D elements will look really outdated sooner rather than later. Overall everything looks fine.

• Sad 2

The L3s might be my biggest beef, mainly because they're trying to squeeze full sentences into them. Just because you have the space for a complete sentence doesn't mean that you should cram it in there. If the text starts to squeeze, it's too much. Adding in that box on the far left to denote what the segment/story type is only adds to the clutter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, mightynine said:

So now we've got three versions of the NBC News logo in use - that one, the one on NN and the one on NOW.

Jeez, pick one!

Actually, four. There’s also the version on the NBC News website and app (which is the one the NBC News Now version was derived from).

NBC_News_2018.svg

Edited by T.L. Hughes