NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

On 5/28/2022 at 10:06 PM, 24994J said:

There were many 1-hour editions during the early days of the pandemic.

World News dos a east coast and a west coast edition at 7:30 P.M. during a short time during the worse of the Pandemic. Though I’m not sure if that was limited to ABC owned stations like WTVD, and KABC or both owned and affialties.

On 5/28/2022 at 8:54 PM, WheelWarrior said:

Last Wednesday, due to the tragedy in Uvalde, NBC Nightly News did an hour-long edition with the second half-hour optional, depending on the affiliate.

I remember in the 2010's, any time something really big happened, all of the Big Three evening news programs would do optional hour editions. I specifically remember Sandy Hook, the 2013 Moore, Oklahoma tornadoes, the 2016 San Bernardino shooting, and the death of Nelson Mandela all being covered in special hour-long editions. However, I don't recall any of the three doing this since the 2017 Las Vegas shooting. Was this the first time any of them did an hour edition since then?

Las Vegas ABC did a full hour. 2016 election CBS and NBC day after hour-long. Boston Marathon ABC, NBC, CBS hour long. CBS I think went to 8pm. Hurricane Sandy I think ABC did a full hour one time. And Osama Bin Laden Death day after ABC did a full-hour.

• 2 months later...

My guess is they are getting 1A ready for election coverage and need to get lighting, flooring and other elements in place. 

Hopefully Nightly moves to 3K when WNBC vacates it, NN deserves a real set and one the network can use for other coverage. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wow! First Pete Williams now Kerry Sanders, not to mention Chuck Henry at KNBC and other vets retiring from NBC. For years I knew Kerry as the Florida guy! Wishing him the best.

I wonder if Andrea Mitchell will call it quits next, and many have asked about WNBC's Churck Scarborough. Hopefully they dont. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Will the network evening newscast expand to 1 hour on a regular basis?  I don't believe they will in the near future because they're investing in other news programs for their online and streaming news sites.  

Maybe in a few years when the networks are in desperate need of more programming, they will put 1 hour editions of the evening news.  

15 minutes ago, JTT said:

Will the network evening newscast expand to 1 hour on a regular basis?  I don't believe they will in the near future because they're investing in other news programs for their online and streaming news sites.  

Maybe in a few years when the networks are in desperate need of more programming, they will put 1 hour editions of the evening news.  

if that were to happen, it would be cool if the first half hour focused on domestic events and the second half hour focused on global events.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MediaZone4K said:

if that were to happen, it would be cool if the first half hour focused on domestic events and the second half hour focused on global events.

That would be nice and a good use of time. However, with news divisions running on tighter budgets and being asked to do more with less, I fear that more time for the evening programs will just mean more light news, extreme weather, viral videos and content traditionally seen on morning programs. 

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Also waiting for the full reveal but I really like this sneak peek -  it feels like we might see the first truly "modern" nightly broadcast newscast. I don't know how to phrase this exactly, but there's something about it that feels mold-breaking to me.

• Like 6

Changes like this aren't made lightly so NBC must be feeling pretty confident with themselves. You gotta give them credit for adapting to the times (heavy digital focus) and trying something new.

It's not a bad logo. Hearkens back to the old NBC 'N' of the 70s. I might have preferred the diagonal ends be sharp rather than squared off. Also interesting that they've kept the white border on the peacock after ditching it everywhere else.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, mrsunshine said:

Also waiting for the full reveal but I really like this sneak peek -  it feels like we might see the first truly "modern" nightly broadcast newscast. I don't know how to phrase this exactly, but there's something about it that feels mold-breaking to me.

I understand exactly what you mean. Even though I prefer ABC News programming more, I’ve always found NBC to be the most positively disruptive and groundbreaking of the big 3. When they make decisions about their programming it tends to catch on across media.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

Changes like this aren't made lightly so NBC must be feeling pretty confident with themselves. You gotta give them credit for adapting to the times (heavy digital focus) and trying something new.

It's not a bad logo. Hearkens back to the old NBC 'N' of the 70s. I might have preferred the diagonal ends be sharp rather than squared off. Also interesting that they've kept the white border on the peacock after ditching it everywhere else.

There's some confusion on this, but the borderless peacock logo is for solid white backgrounds only. There is also a black/white version purely for just white backgrounds as well.

All other uses will retain the border. The only thing visually changing is the peacock's beak.

49 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

But is NBC still "proud as a peacock"?

I don't watch much of the national newscasts (and no longer have cable for CNN, Fox, or MSNBC) but my mom usually watches Norah O'Donnell on CBS. Occasionally David Muir, and very rarely Lester Holt. She's always preferred CBS Evening News for some reason - through Dan Rather and Scott Pelley. Once Pelley left she started watching David Muir, then went back to CBS...

Even my now-late grandmother and grandfather watched CBS, especially back in the days of Cronkite.

Anyways, back on topic

I was just thinking to myself how long its been since Nightly's L3's were updated. The current package is fine. I really like that the L3s aren't flat white boxes and they have gloss and shine to them. Likewise, they co-inside with the Special Report graphics. 

• Like 1

Very bold look, at least judging from that one image. This is interesting:

A new two-part “N” can split apart to reveal headlines for TV chyrons, or rest on screen with NBC’s signature Peacock logo in front of it. The look of the newscast’s bottom-of-the-screen graphics will use fewer elements, but present them in bolder fashion — all part of a bid to put the visual emphasis on Holt’s delivery or video captured by NBC News crew and correspondents.

Wonder if it'll feel more like NBC News Now with the design.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

Does this hit the air tonight, or on Monday? I know Nightly has a history of rolling out changes on Fridays... so maybe tonight?

The Variety article linked above says it’ll debut on the 19th

• Like 1