NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

I'm left wondering if a few weeks ago somebody said, "Let's try Nightly from here some night and see how it works out".  A handful of rehearsal shows later... and there ya go.  The fact that the Today show sunrise element is still in that last shot above during Nightly makes me wonder.  That marble floor though... not. good.

Edited by RCA TK47
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2021 at 3:40 PM, freelanceproducer said:

Tom Llmas is anchoring Nightly News tonight for the second night in a row. He has become the primary fill-in on Today and is having a growing presence on Nightly. His new NBC News Now primetime show is expected to launch this fall, so this wide-ranging presence on the linear channel is great marketing for that. 

And NBC News has revealed the name for the show... Top Story with Tom Llamas. The show debuts September 20.

top-story-logo.thumb.jpg.5f1a82053d35ddc448892352ffccc9f1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, KRAP-TV said:

Very interesting...

Not really… Conventional wisdom was that Shep was going to get a chance to sub for Lester (at some point) when he was hired. Wouldn’t read too much into this. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Norah O'Donnell is the master controller of the entire CBS network. Who can replace her?

I wish it was Shepard. He would've been great as anchor and mananging editor for the CBSEN. The wild card IMO is still BW.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, geojustiniano said:

What about his show? Who’s going to anchor “The News” tonight? 

I think the news will be anchored from 30 Rock tonight it will be interesting to see how that works.    It could also be that Tyler Matheson or someone else just fills in over on CNBC. 

• Like 1

Shep did a great job, wish we’d see him more, I really hope this make someone at MSNBC realize he should be a part of any upcoming changes. 
He is anchoring his show tonight and appears to be in 1A using a very tight shot in front of the weather wall. 

• Like 2

Shep is anchoring in what appears to be his studio on CNBC as of 7pm ET.

I see he was doing the trademark shouting voice trend that the Evening News does now. Liked his enthusiastic delivery during the March madness segment.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, iron_lion said:

I see he was doing the trademark shouting voice trend that the Evening News does now. 

Not sure where the shouting trend began, I suspect ABC News on either WNT or GMA. Every newscast might have to add a little dose of sensationalism to make it more interesting, but  the shouting  just overdramatizes the news and makes it more stressful. Especially when it's the first thing you're watching in the morning or going to sleep at night. Add this to the every story for the first 15 minutes is breaking news habit.

I suppose this is the popular cadence now, much like the Dan Rather type straight--unemotional--monotone delivery was the wave back in the 60s and 70s. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Last Wednesday, due to the tragedy in Uvalde, NBC Nightly News did an hour-long edition with the second half-hour optional, depending on the affiliate.

I remember in the 2010's, any time something really big happened, all of the Big Three evening news programs would do optional hour editions. I specifically remember Sandy Hook, the 2013 Moore, Oklahoma tornadoes, the 2016 San Bernardino shooting, and the death of Nelson Mandela all being covered in special hour-long editions. However, I don't recall any of the three doing this since the 2017 Las Vegas shooting. Was this the first time any of them did an hour edition since then?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WheelWarrior said:

However, I don't recall any of the three doing this since the 2017 Las Vegas shooting. Was this the first time any of them did an hour edition since then?

There were many 1-hour editions during the early days of the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe not officially dubbed as one hour editions, I believe the evening newscasts were extended during the impeachment process of 45th. Also not a planned hour long edition but the evening shows remained on the air beyond 6:30pm covering the dramatic flight home from Walter Reed to the White House after the president’s Covid stay.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Tonight they are devoting the whole show to one night of gun violence in America. They had Kate Snow and other reporters around different cities showing things that happened last night.

Edited by G2000
  • Like 2