NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

That is so true with Brian Williams.

I think Lester is doing NBC a favor cause if he were to step down or go to another network, then we will definitely see a down trend. Also evening news is to predictable and we are living in a disruptive age where news can happen while you are watching your evening newscast. I think sooner or later then evening news will have to evolve.

There is a downward trend, regardless of who's at the helm, across the entire industry. News is going to "evolve" into being short bytes on social media. The target demo has neither the time or attention span to sit through a 30-minute structured news program listening to things they really don't care about for the two things they do.

• Like 1

There is a downward trend, regardless of who's at the helm, across the entire industry. News is going to "evolve" into being short bytes on social media. The target demo has neither the time or attention span to sit through a 30-minute structured news program listening to things they really don't care about for the two things they do.

True eventually the networks will have to evolve and try to do things different.

• Like 1

i am in the target demo, and the only reason i watch network news is i work in tv and it's on at my desk... if i wasn't working i wouldn't watch... why? because i've heard it already... i saw the same news on Twitter three hours ago... and i didn't have to sit through a bunch of fluff to see it... i'm not sure you will like how they "evolve"... Its going to be nothing like how it is now... one anchor? long opens? all of that will go away... to attract the kiddos... @Weeters needs to make a pure HTML theme for this site so people can pretend it really is 1995...
  • Like 1

[quote name='Webovision']i am in the target demo, and the only reason i watch network news is i work in tv and it's on at my desk... if i wasn't working i wouldn't watch... why? because i've heard it already... i saw the same news on Twitter three hours ago... and i didn't have to sit through a bunch of fluff to see it... i'm not sure you will like how they "evolve"... Its going to be nothing like how it is now... one anchor? long opens? all of that will go away... to attract the kiddos... @Weeters needs to make a pure HTML theme for this site so people can pretend it really is 1995...[/QUOTE] Why do they hash the same old news and script that we heard at 9AM in the morning.

I’m not even sure it has much to do with the target demo’s attention span. To me it simply boils down to, why would I watch this newscast for a recap of news that I’ve seen 5 hours ago? I’ve caught myself way too many times picking up my phone to find a news article that a newscast has just teased for after the break. TV network news did terrible at keeping up with the internet.

• 2 weeks later...
I’m not even sure it has much to do with the target demo’s attention span. To me it simply boils down to, why would I watch this newscast for a recap of news that I’ve seen 5 hours ago?

A little late to the discussion, but I really want to echo this. The social media generations already know what happened. We're more interested in why things happen and what they mean. Give us several minutes on how bad the situation was for the people showing up at the border to seek asylum, and not just what happens afterward. Do a full package on the most important agenda item at the city council meeting before it happens, not just a quick SOT when it passes.

• Like 5

It seems too TV news in general will be live from whatever is breaking; whether on the local level be that a fire, shooting, or car crash, or on the national level that may be the border, the scene of the latest mass shooting, or some type of natural disaster where people's lives are clearly impacted and have a story to tell. More often than not, once the liveshot or broadcast is done they pack up and leave with little followup on the event, just being live for the sake of being live like it's 1978 and that was the new thing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
What is the control room area behind Lester while he is anchoring on set? Does anyone know?

You mean in 30 Rock behind the glass panels? That’s the newsroom that launched with msnbc back in 2007. They either use the full 3A studio backdrop (as it was intended) or as they do most of the time they the cut newsroom portion in half with an LED wall if the slides in which shows a backdrop similar to the one Nightly has. On the other side is another wall for msnbc where they have a video where it looks like the typical view to the Nightly Studio or they show generic graphics. It’s always on showing something even when it’s slid into “hiding” but can be seen in certain shots.

• Like 3

What is the control room area behind Lester while he is anchoring on set? Does anyone know?

Oh I think that’s Lester being in LA. That’s not a control room but a monitor wall showing all the various feeds and satellites they can receive. You likely see a lot of color bars because there’s nothing being sent.

They likely are monitoring the network (ABC and CBS like NBC have unencrypted feeds), the affiliates, news channels. In fact on the perpendicular walls where the header NBC News Los Angeles is typically there there’s an array of flat screens showing each local LA station and the cable nets on each side. The big monitor wall that’s seen when the camera shoots to the right and is frequently seen on MSNBC that typically displays show graphics displays multiviewer feeds and a large board showing trending content and I think a list of package being edited or video ingested. I’ll have to ask a friend whose desk is on the left side out of any camera shots.

• Like 2

I am liking the different nightly good segment stories Lester is doing around the end of his newscast. I like the fact he is narrating the stories which is a good way for the audience to reconnect with the anchor again.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The Lester Across America series is such a hit! I think it is great.

I love seeing Lester outside of NYC and among different cities to reflect the country. It makes the broadcast more refreshing and less uptight. Anytime I watch programs that come from NYC and DC, it comes across more uptight. I think Lester feels more lifted being around the people and outside the studio.

I don’t think viewers are watching Lester anymore, I feel like the network has lost it completely. Lester doesn’t care about everything what’s going on right now, like come on NBC it's been three years of no viewers, no winner. NBC News needs to catch up because the other networks are winning in total viewers and demographics!!!! Nightly News needs to change dramatically!!!!

• Like 5

I don’t think viewers are watching Lester anymore, I feel like the network has lost it completely. Lester doesn’t care about everything what’s going on right now, like come on NBC it's been three years of no viewers, no winner. NBC News needs to catch up because the other networks are winning in total viewers and demographics!!!! Nightly News needs to change dramatically!!!!

Network news in general has been on the decline for the last seven years.Cable news has been on decline the last five years, they are enjoying a slight high right now but it is a fraction of viewers in a mass population of millions of people. It is no pinpointed on talent anymore, it is a trend and it will continue cause not many people don't watch television as watch. As a Nightly News viewer I don't often watch it live but I will watch it on demand or on my mobile device.

Also mainstream news is on the decline in general people are scattering to get their news they don't rely on just one source anymore.

• Like 1

Network news in general has been on the decline for the last seven years.Cable news has been on decline the last five years, they are enjoying a slight high right now but it is a fraction of viewers in a mass population of millions of people. It is no pinpointed on talent anymore, it is a trend and it will continue cause not many people don't watch television as watch. As a Nightly News viewer I don't often watch it live but I will watch it on demand or on my mobile device.

Also mainstream news is on the decline in general people are scattering to get their news they don't rely on just one source anymore.

I don't eat in some places because I don't trust the food.

When broadcasters produce a trustworthy product...the public will reward them with viewers.

I spend twice as much time (as a viewer) trying to confirm news stories that should have already been fully confirmed or vetted properly.

Lester was in San Diego on Thursday and Friday for a PR tour. Lester also managed to slip in a quick helo ride over the beach for some quick pops with the U.S. Customs and Border Air crew. They slapped some file video around it and called it a special report. I see MMJ's in 170+ markets do a better job with NO resources. Lester was phoning it in.

But to be fair to Lester...all the anchors pretty much phone it in.

The product is crap.

Everybody knows it.

Produce a decent newscast and people will watch it.

Edited by Eat News
  • Like 1

Ideally ... Brian Williams. It’s called redemption.

— Matt

That’s a pipe dream. I would be upset as he’d leave The 11th Hour a show he has molded in his own and you can see his personality.

I’d imagine the finalists would be between Savannah, Kate or Jose. However I’d imagine they’d be reluctant to take Savannah from Today unless the worked it out where she would not have to come in as early for Today and come back for Nightly in the late afternoon.

If NBC were to replace Letster any thoughts on who they would replace him with?

I does not matter who replaces Lester because the problem is the product sucks.

Fix the process, and the execution of the actual newscast and it's contents.

Stop producing crap aimed at 6th graders.

• Like 2

That’s a pipe dream. I would be upset as he’d leave The 11th Hour a show he has molded in his own and you can see his personality.

I’d imagine the finalists would be between Savannah, Kate or Jose. However I’d imagine they’d be reluctant to take Savannah from Today unless the worked it out where she would not have to come in as early for Today and come back for Nightly in the late afternoon.

I really doubt that Jose would seriously be considered. Doesn’t he front Noticiero Telemundo at the same time? And he rarely fills in, even on Sundays if Kate is off. Primary weekday fill-ins seem to be Savannah and Kate.

• Like 1

I really doubt that Jose would seriously be considered. Doesn’t he front Noticiero Telemundo at the same time? And he rarely fills in, even on Sundays if Kate is off. Primary weekday fill-ins seem to be Savannah and Kate.

Yes he does.

breitbart.com reports that 'Nightly News' has been fallen to its lowest year ever!!! Ouch, NBC is not gonna be happy about this and Megyn is also included with her lowest viewers than any other NBC program.

Don't believe in Breitbart. They're not legitimate. Unless if you had facts from Nielsen or read reports from TVNewser to back it up, then don't believe in that.

• Like 7