NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

Well the NBC News President was the Editor "President" of ITN ashen they debuted the News at Ten graphics

I thought she was the editor when they decided to ditch that NaT look in favor of the horrible ITV News yellow parking lot look. Either way, yeah, there's that connection.

While I can see how the look reminds some of the 1980s look, it reminds me most of the 1999 opens, where they had that tremendous straight ahead shot of 30 Rock. This echoes that. I think the best word to sum up this open is "iconic". It really catches the imagination more than 99% of all news opens do these days.

Surprised no one has mentioned how this is, in some ways, effectively the old Today Show open.

I'm more focused trying to wrap my mind around how complicated and time-consuming it was to create that open in such detail, as well as the render time. yeesh.

• Like 1

I'm more focused trying to wrap my mind around how complicated and time-consuming it was to create that open in such detail, as well as the render time. yeesh.

It's becoming easier and easier to pull this stuff off. A lot of these maps can be found built and textured for the most part already. There's a lot of great Cinema 4D plugins for doing this. The render times... probably would take you a few days on your home computer but places like NBC have a render farm.

I worked for a station in San Francisco that used to have a 3D skyline animation in their news opens for years and was working to rebuild it in HD in Cinema 4D before I left. It was amazing how easy it was and how good it looked.

It looks different being animated but looks good. I wonder how it would have turned out if it was filmed and stylized together? The other package appeared to be easily customizable when Nightly was on location. Wonder how it will be handled now.

The following likely will sound confusing simply because I don't know how else to describe or characterize the new open. I see several nods to the previous package. On the water by the Statue of Liberty you see some of the rectangles that intersected and in other places they kept things which I assume symbolize loading data. In another sense I can see a BBC style of influence where different buildings in Manhattan are sized up having different points on them on the lead up to 30 Rock. The lower thirds themselves are quite clean but still retain the Nightly Style where the corners feature intersecting perpendicular lines that go past the actual lower thirds.

• Like 1

I love the opening, I think this is a good sign that they are slowly transitioning away from reminents of the Williams era. As long as you don't get rid of the music and the studio layout. Nightly News has the best looking studio at 30 Rock.

My suggestion for the Nightly News team, is to focus on doing more global outreach in their stories.

I love the opening, I think this is a good sign that they are slowly transitioning away from reminents of the Williams era. As long as you don't get rid of the music and the studio layout. Nightly News has the best looking studio at 30 Rock.

My suggestion for the Nightly News team, is to focus on doing more global outreach in their stories.

With most MSNBC shows coming out of the new newsroom, and WNBC abandoning 3C, I kinda wonder if we're heading towards a renovation of 3A and 3C that would bring them back to where they were when MSNBC moved into 30 Rock. The new video wall in 3A is nice, but I still feel like it's a temporary measure. It's out of place.

The set in 3B is being used for purposes it wasn't built for, and there's a whole bunch of space (the old home base/Nightly News set) that's not used and basically wasted. That's a couple strikes against it. I would think it's days are probably numbered.

As for the open, it definitely has some European influence. RTL has a similar concept going on in their open:

The set in 3B is being used for purposes it wasn't built for, and there's a whole bunch of space (the old home base/Nightly News set) that's not used and basically wasted. That's a couple strikes against it. I would think it's days are probably numbered.

From what I've seen on Instagram is that the old home base area of 3B is storage / green screen.

• Like 1

Weekend broadcasts do you think they will go back and add the anchors name to the title like they used to before Lester became the weeknight anchor?

I don't think so, they stopped the intro of the anchors as soon as Lester got promoted. The current crew are contributors not exactly anchors.

• 1 year later...

The new studio is growing on me, however I think the pace of the news coverage should change. To me I think NBC needs to do more original content on Nightly News. Stop rehasing the same stories and have the anchor be more involved in his own newscast with him doing his own original projects. The stories and script are too similar, people have opened their eyes to it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I applaud NBC News for running, uncensored, Trump’s “shithole” quote during Peter Alexander’s piece at the top of the January 11th broadcast. But could the partisan FCC go after NBC affiliates for airing the segment if they wanted to? I hope not.

• Like 1

I applaud NBC News for running, uncensored, Trump’s “shithole” quote during Peter Alexander’s piece at the top of the January 11th broadcast. But could the partisan FCC go after NBC affiliates for airing the segment if they wanted to? I hope not.

If someone files a complaint.

• Like 2

If someone files a complaint.

It looks like some people already have http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/trump-shithole-fcc-complaints-1202662858/

I guess time will tell. It a no-win situation here but on any other normal day they would have fined them but NBC and CNN have a good argument on why they did not censor it as The President of these United states use the word to describe other countries.

It looks like some people already have http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/trump-shithole-fcc-complaints-1202662858/

I guess time will tell. It a no-win situation here but on any other normal day they would have fined them but NBC and CNN have a good argument on why they did not censor it as The President of these United states use the word to describe other countries.

CNN isn’t under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

• Like 1

They (those people) were directly quoting the President.

Nobody will be fined.

Unless...

The whole thing was just a lie and it's proven he never said shithole... Then would NBC be on the hook for the profanity???

No.

Nobody will be cited, no NAL's...no fines....no s**t.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Lester Holt did a piece on North Korea. Considering the amount of time he was there they should've spend 3 days on the story instead of ultra editing it to a 4 minute segment.

I'm sure they are sitting on plenty of other N.Korean fluff pieces. Those will be aired in the weeks to come.

Lester Holt did a piece on North Korea. Considering the amount of time he was there they should've spend 3 days on the story instead of ultra editing it to a 4 minute segment.

I'm sure they are sitting on plenty of other N.Korean fluff pieces. Those will be aired in the weeks to come.

I imagine there are more for the Olympics. They were invited for that sole reason.

On one of the reports they were told that they couldn’t record and requested that footage be deleted but continued to do so anyway. How exactly would they get around that? I thought I read that some cameras had a mode where you could hide that your recording (no lights or anything) but what about the files?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...