NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

• 1 month later...

Slightly odd shot blocking tonight. Richard Engel was reporting in studio but instead of placing him opposite Lester he was sitting behind the desk next to Lester. Looked slightly odd. At first I thought something was up with the monitor wall facing Lester preventing them from using it but it was in perfect condition.

Slightly odd shot blocking tonight. Richard Engel was reporting in studio but instead of placing him opposite Lester he was sitting behind the desk next to Lester. Looked slightly odd. At first I thought something was up with the monitor wall facing Lester preventing them from using it but it was in perfect condition.

They've been using that shot for a while now

Lester Holt using citizen journalism in light of the explosion in Chelsea neighbhorhood of New York City.

I can't recall ever seeing a top anchor going in the frontlines and talking among the people and doing his own report without any producers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/explosion-witness-i-just-heard-this-loud-big-bang-767650883914

Lester Holt using citizen journalism in light of the explosion in Chelsea neighbhorhood of New York City.

I can't recall ever seeing a top anchor going in the frontlines and talking among the people and doing his own report without any producers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/explosion-witness-i-just-heard-this-loud-big-bang-767650883914

Ha ha, I bet NABET /CWA union reps are loving that.

I recall him doing this a few times like an NYC church Fire and the LAX Shooting false alarm. He streams on facebook live.

• 3 weeks later...

This is honestly the coolest thing/news open I have seen in my entire (17 year old) life

It appears that Nightly News has an updated look. They have kept the same music but with a new open. Not sure if new graphics are coming but I imagine they are.
  • Like 1

Yeah, one could argue this is a heavy refresh of the old look (really only retaining the color scheme), but it's executed beautifully. I'm not a huge fan of the semi-constant L3, but this is very well done. It's also one of the best applications of Gotham I've seen. While the WNT and CBS evening looks are nice, NBC is clearly well trained in text allignment and general proportions.

Solid A work.

The open looks very nice... but isn't it too focused on New York? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to feature the country or even the world?

Anyone want to place bets as to whether they include the tree, maybe with some snowflakes in the air, come December?

The lower-thirds graphics, particularly the "coming up" set, feel very "local news" to me.