NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

Lester is one of those "good guys" at NBC and I really think he is. Very good for him!

I know he's not taking this for granted since he's been fired (or "let go") twice, once from WBBM-TV.

Lester is one of those "good guys" at NBC and I really think he is. Very good for him!

I know he's not taking this for granted since he's been fired (or "let go") twice, once from WBBM-TV.

Congrats to Lester, I watch his newscast every night. I think his demotion was the best thing for him, clearly he was meant to do bigger things. A guy that good is meant for the evening news.

NBC are the ones that can't take him for granted. There was unofficial rumors from insiders before the Williams fiasco, that Lester was thinking about stepping down from his weekend duties and possibly leave NBC. A history of mismanaging very good talent, he was overlooked a long time at NBC, he should've got the job before Brian Williams got to ten years and spread his poison. Lester is truly a shining diamond and has brought credibilty back to NBC. There are not many anchors at NBC that have the collective likability and appeal that Lester has with so many people. Lester appeals to so many people in different walks of life, that is so rare and really special.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If my memory serves me correct, Jose D-B has only anchored Saturday NN once in the past 4 weeks. Thomas Roberts anchored twice, and tonight Willie Geist was the anchor. The intro didn't say that Roberts or Geist were filling in, nor did either of them mention they were subbing. So as I suspected earlier in this thread, it appears that Jose D-B is one of a few rotating anchors of Saturday NN.

If my memory serves me correct, Jose D-B has only anchored Saturday NN once in the past 4 weeks. Thomas Roberts anchored twice, and tonight Willie Geist was the anchor. The intro didn't say that Roberts or Geist were filling in, nor did either of them mention they were subbing. So as I suspected earlier in this thread, it appears that Jose D-B is one of a few rotating anchors of Saturday NN.

Their is no urgency to have a permanent Saturday anchor so it does not matter at this point who fills in or not.

Their is no urgency to have a permanent Saturday anchor so it does not matter at this point who fills in or not.

I agree. I was just stating that it appears that there is no permanent anchor, but rather a set of rotating anchors. If you look back on this thread, you will see that some were insisting that Jose D-B was the permanent anchor.

I agree. I was just stating that it appears that there is no permanent anchor, but rather a set of rotating anchors. If you look back on this thread, you will see that some were insisting that Jose D-B was the permanent anchor.

Your right. I was basing it off of his Twitter bio and the fact he anchored for three or four weeks straight.

• Like 2

Nightly News is coming from DC tonight in the newsroom. The broadcast was unremarkable except for the fact that one toss came from the MSNBC studio. Lester was standing between the monitor wall and the desk and when it was over he was back in the newsroom. It just seemed out of place from the whole show.

It seems like they tried to maintain the more elaborate and casual camera shots they use when in NY and LA sans the presence of enough tech to match what they regularly use (projection walls in NY and the different monitor setups they have in LA). I really think they should bring a facelift or renovation to the D.C. Bureau that could better align the newsroom's look with that of 30 Rock and the new LA setup. The newsroom set could use some more monitors and lighter design components to provide more show/branding opportunities since the set is used daily on NBC and MSNBC broadcasts. The lone monitor currently used behind the anchor/reporter to brand the show and the internally lit columns towards the back just seem outdated.

I think they should have used the MTP set tonight because NN and MTP's set bare noticeable similarities. The presence of heavy wood tones, projected walls and monitor walls would have made a much better match for tonight's broadcast.

Nightly News is coming from DC tonight in the newsroom. The broadcast was unremarkable except for the fact that one toss came from the MSNBC studio. Lester was standing between the monitor wall and the desk and when it was over he was back in the newsroom. It just seemed out of place from the whole show.

I think that Lester was in a newsroom instead of a elaborate studio, they probably prop up the newsroom to accomodate Lester when he is doing the broadcast. In my opinion, if Lester is now the anchor and he said that likes taking the broadcast on the road then their bureaus should develop studio space to accomodate Nightly News. When Lester is anchoring from LA, they have the studio designed for the Nightly News broadcast. The same thing goes for their DC, Chicago and London bureaus.

Your right. I was basing it off of his Twitter bio and the fact he anchored for three or four weeks straight.

I think that there is a rotation team on the weekends, I think Kate Snow permanently has Sunday but on Saturdays, they rotate the anchors.

I think they should have used the MTP set tonight because NN and MTP's set bare noticeable similarities. The presence of heavy wood tones, projected walls and monitor walls would have made a much better match for tonight's broadcast.

They can't do that cause it will change the mood of the broadcast. When people tune it they might think Lester is on Meet The Press instead of Nightly News. You don't want to get viewers paniking and thinking that Lester has changed positions.

It seems like they tried to maintain the more elaborate and casual camera shots they use when in NY and LA sans the presence of enough tech to match what they regularly use (projection walls in NY and the different monitor setups they have in LA). I really think they should bring a facelift or renovation to the D.C. Bureau that could better align the newsroom's look with that of 30 Rock and the new LA setup. The newsroom set could use some more monitors and lighter design components to provide more show/branding opportunities since the set is used daily on NBC and MSNBC broadcasts. The lone monitor currently used behind the anchor/reporter to brand the show and the internally lit columns towards the back just seem outdated.

I don't think there's going to be any renovation to the newsroom until the whole building is renovated. A while back in an interview (early 2015 I think) Valeri Staab said they were planning a building renovation. They've used the Meet the Press studio in the back but it's occupied by MTP Daily from 5-6pm and they wouldn't have enough time for rehearsals. They periscope'd a rehearsal from the studio before MTP Daily launched and they were there around 3PM practicing and recording teases for the various affiliates.

Is Thomas Roberts going to be Lester's fill in anchor during the weekdays. I respect Thomas Roberts, good presentation but they need to be careful with how they push him as well,ever since Lester took over, everybody is trying to be get their name out there for demographics and become the first so on. What made Lester Holt good is that he never had an agenda or wanted to push anything towards people which is one factors in why people trust him. Cause anytime you go on national news anchoring a major broadcast, the vetting needs to go up to avoid another Brian Williams mistake. He is gay but his sexuality is not the main issue it is how he will use his platforming and hopefully him being gay won't make him someone pushing an agenda. He is fine on cable news but evening news anchor is the top tier job in that industry. Evening news anchor is broadcasted to wide variety of people with and viewers want an evening news anchor as someone who has no agenda and overall very neutral. If they need a second tier fill in then focus on Kate Snow cause she has no agenda from what I have seen and has been there longer.

Is Thomas Roberts going to be Lester's fill in anchor during the weekdays. I respect Thomas Roberts, good presentation but they need to be careful with how they push him as well,ever since Lester took over, everybody is trying to be get their name out there for demographics and become the first so on. What made Lester Holt good is that he never had an agenda or wanted to push anything towards people which is one factors in why people trust him. Cause anytime you go on national news anchoring a major broadcast, the vetting needs to go up to avoid another Brian Williams mistake. He is gay but his sexuality is not the main issue it is how he will use his platforming and hopefully him being gay won't make him someone pushing an agenda. He is fine on cable news but evening news anchor is the top tier job in that industry. Evening news anchor is broadcasted to wide variety of people with and viewers want an evening news anchor as someone who has no agenda and overall very neutral. If they need a second tier fill in then focus on Kate Snow cause she has no agenda from what I have seen and has been there longer.

Are you suggesting he is unworthy of an unbiased anchoring position because his sexual orientation opens him up to a bias?

Are you suggesting he is unworthy of an unbiased anchoring position because his sexual orientation opens him up to a bias?

I'm thinking more along the lines that he should earn any such position on merit, no matter if gay or straight. It's insulting to him and the viewers to try and just fill a quota. He's got the potential to move up on talents, alone.

• Like 2

Seems to be a bit of an over-reaction here...I highly doubt Roberts (or anyone else) is trying to step on Lester's toes or has some type of agenda. A number of different people have subbed for Lester, so what??? Good grief, NBC News has a pretty solid team, so if Roberts subs (for Lester) more often than Snow, Smith or anyone else, it shouldn't be a big deal. Is he not qualified or something? What am I missing?

• Like 3

Seems to be a bit of an over-reaction here...I highly doubt Roberts (or anyone else) is trying to step on Lester's toes or has some type of agenda. A number of different people have subbed for Lester, so what??? Good grief, NBC News has a pretty solid team, so if Roberts subs (for Lester) more often than Snow, Smith or anyone else, it shouldn't be a big deal. Is he not qualified or something? What am I missing?

What indication do you have that Thomas is only filling in for Lester to "fill a quota"?

It is his optics and promotion that needs to be handled carefully. Thomas Roberts is a good reporter and anchor but optics is important espcially appealing to a national audience . Anderson Cooper never used his sexuality push agendas but Roberts is openly gay and promoted himself as the first gay man to anchor an evening newscast. Sometimes when people put quotas on you there is often pressure to make it an agenda. Evening newscast is a different platform then cable news, so he has to be careful with how he presents himself especially towards evening viewers who only care about the news and credibility of the anchor.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/thomas-roberts-hosts-nbc-nightly-809767

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/msnbcs-thomas-roberts-discusses-coming-out-with-metrosource/282041

http://www.advocate.com/media/2015/07/18/watch-reporting-tonight-thomas-roberts-first-out-gay-man-anchor-network-news

I'm thinking more along the lines that he should earn any such position on merit, no matter if gay or straight. It's insulting to him and the viewers to try and just fill a quota. He's got the potential to move up on talents, alone.

He should earn the respect of viewers by his merit and nothing else cause people won't care what you are as long as you stay professional and do your job. If you use to platform to push yourself to be a certain quota and agenda then people won't like that.

It is his optics and promotion that needs to be handled carefully. Thomas Roberts is a good reporter and anchor but optics is important espcially appealing to a national audience . Anderson Cooper never used his sexuality push agendas but Roberts is openly gay and promoted himself as the first gay man to anchor an evening newscast. Sometimes when people put quotas on you there is often pressure to make it an agenda. Evening newscast is a different platform then cable news, so he has to be careful with how he presents himself especially towards evening viewers who only care about the news and credibility of the anchor.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/thomas-roberts-hosts-nbc-nightly-809767

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/msnbcs-thomas-roberts-discusses-coming-out-with-metrosource/282041

http://www.advocate.com/media/2015/07/18/watch-reporting-tonight-thomas-roberts-first-out-gay-man-anchor-network-news

He should earn the respect of viewers by his merit and nothing else cause people won't care what you are as long as you stay professional and do your job. If you use to platform to push yourself to be a certain quota and agenda then people won't like that.

Sorry, but your comments are coming off to me as paranoid and slightly homophobic. I've yet to see any proof that Roberts has some "agenda" to push is "gay agenda" over the airwaves or secretly overthrow Lester. Careful how he presents himself? Roberts isn't some stereotypical flamboyant, Modern Family-like, Ru Paul's Drag Race-like gay person. He's a reporter doing his job.

Anderson Cooper never used his sexuality to push agendas because Cooper has no agenda to push. Roberts promoted himself as the first gay man to anchor a broadcast (big point there) evening newscast because he is and he took pride in that, so what? It's not like he won't shut the hell up about it. Lester is the first black man to anchor a broadcast evening newscast and Katie Couric was the first woman. Other people made a big deal out of it, even if they themselves did not.

I assure you, if Roberts starts acting "too gay" on TV, or viewers start complaining about it, he and NBC News will know and do something about it.

It's much ado about nothing. Get back to me when Kim Kardashian starts reporting or anchoring news!

• Like 5

Sorry, but your comments are coming off to me as paranoid and slightly homophobic. I've yet to see any proof that Roberts has some "agenda" to push is "gay agenda" over the airwaves or secretly overthrow Lester. Careful how he presents himself? Roberts isn't some stereotypical flamboyant, Modern Family-like, Ru Paul's Drag Race-like gay person. He's a reporter doing his job.

Anderson Cooper never used his sexuality to push agendas because Cooper has no agenda to push. Roberts promoted himself as the first gay man to anchor a broadcast (big point there) evening newscast because he is and he took pride in that, so what? It's not like he won't shut the hell up about it. Lester is the first black man to anchor a broadcast evening newscast and Katie Couric was the first woman. Other people made a big deal out of it, even if they themselves did not.

I assure you, if Roberts starts acting "too gay" on TV, or viewers start complaining about it, he and NBC News will know and do something about it.

It's much ado about nothing. Get back to me when Kim Kardashian starts reporting or anchoring news!

Max Robinson was the first African American to be an evening anchor. Yes it was more of a rotation anchor team but he was technically the first. I will say that I don't see anything wrong with Roberts claiming to be the first openly gay man to anchor an evening network broadcast (even though there some discrepancy about that but that's another story).

• Like 4

Am I missing something here too?

Why is it that every time I read Thomas Roberts' name on this thread alone, I read more about his sexual orientation than his overall talents. He's a very solidly talented and talented anchor and correspondant, and can be a great fill-in and (possibly a) weekend anchor.

When I first learned of that, I thought "Okay, cool. What's for dinner?"

I also wish we can stop discussing his sexuality and just say how good he is every once in a while. (Like me starting now...)

• Like 4

Just to clarify, I am definitely in favor of and appreciative of sexual equality and I am in NO way homophobic (except for the PDA--but to me that's grossly obnoxious no matter what gender you like).

I'm just done with the discussions about this one NBC News correspondent who just happens to not be straight.

I hope you all weren't confused or disgusted by my last posting.

• Like 1

You should really get with the times. This comes off as ignorant and homophobic.

• Like 3

You should really get with the times. This comes off as ignorant and homophobic.

I want him to be pushed for his credibility and how good he is and not because of a quota or cause he is gay. It is not homphobic, it is common sense never wearing who you are on your sleeve and staying professional.

Look at the links and headlines I put on my post. First gay evening news anchor, don't care really as long as you are good in your profession and have the background to back up why he got the spot. At least with Anderson Cooper he established him first and never wore his sexuality on his sleeve climbing up the ladder. It is about avoiding agenda and NBC has a bad enough rep for being an agenda setting network.

• Like 1