NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

I think that Thomas Roberts, he filled in for Lester the past two days, should get the Saturday anchor position. He could keep his MSNBC show similarly to what Kate does. Jose is ok but he just lacks something for me.

I think either Roberts or Diaz-Balart would make sense because it would then reinforce the notion of how MSNBC and NBC News are one (again) with having prominent MSNBC folks doing Nightly News on the weekends (including Kate Snow).

I think that Thomas Roberts, he filled in for Lester the past two days, should get the Saturday anchor position. He could keep his MSNBC show similarly to what Kate does. Jose is ok but he just lacks something for me.

Diaz Balart is being used to bring a sought after demographic and he is competing against Cecila Vega on ABC News.

I think either Roberts or Diaz-Balart would make sense because it would then reinforce the notion of how MSNBC and NBC News are one (again) with having prominent MSNBC folks doing Nightly News on the weekends (including Kate Snow).

MSNBC has gone back to being a strict news format, giving leeway for NBC news talent to be on MSNBC. Kate Snow is going to be the shoe in fill in when Lester is away during the week on non holidays.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, but just for the record, Kate is an NBC person appearing on MSNBC, not the other way around.

I think Thomas Roberts or Peter Alexander should get the Saturday spot. To me, when I see Carl Quintanilla, I think business and financial news as he is one of the main faces over at CNBC. When I see Jose Diaz-Balart, I think Spanish and Telemundo as he is the face of that network's news division. There's something about him that's not appealing. I don't like him on The Rundown on MSNBC either.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, but just for the record, Kate is an NBC person appearing on MSNBC, not the other way around.

I think Thomas Roberts or Peter Alexander should get the Saturday spot. To me, when I see Carl Quintanilla, I think business and financial news as he is one of the main faces over at CNBC. When I see Jose Diaz-Balart, I think Spanish and Telemundo as he is the face of that network's news division. There's something about him that's not appealing. I don't like him on The Rundown on MSNBC either.

Carl has branched out and he appears on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel.

I don't think Diaz Balart has the connection and he can talk kind of fast which is a turn off.

That's a fair point, although my point was ultimately that they want MSNBC and NBC now to be more interchangeable, particularly in daytime.

And to be fair, I'm not the biggest fan of Diaz-Balart on MSNBC but I do think he's better on Nightly. I do wish NBC would appoint a regular person to that gig instead of contuining this hodge-pose, if you will.

• Like 1

That's a fair point, although my point was ultimately that they want MSNBC and NBC now to be more interchangeable, particularly in daytime.

And to be fair, I'm not the biggest fan of Diaz-Balart on MSNBC but I do think he's better on Nightly. I do wish NBC would appoint a regular person to that gig instead of contuining this hodge-pose, if you will.

They are in no rush for an evening news hosts during the weekend. Weekend news wars are gone now that Lester Holt and David Muir have been promoted to the weekdays.

Kristen Welker anchoring NN tonight. She was also the newsreader on Today this morning. Raphael Miranda, who did the weather this morning on Today, is also reporting weather on NN.

Welker has been showing up more often now, never seen her on Nightly but she is intelligent and prefer watching her on weekend Today over the primary hosts Erica Hill and Shenielle Jones.

• 5 weeks later...
http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/1/25/changing-jobs

Jose Diaz-Balart has been named co-anchor of the Saturday versions of NN.

SMH. See the OUT AND ABOUT thread. Note that that appears like a press release, some of the other items are almost six months old, the word "a" is used instead of "the", and the response to rkolsen's tweet does not give us anything conclusive, and no other outlet has reported that he is "the" Saturday night anchor.

Jose Diaz Balart filled in Weekend Today last week. He did a nice job, he tends to use his accent when pronouncing Spanish names. I still believe he is part of the quota, since Lester became first African American solo news anchor, NBC now has a woman and now they need an Hispanic.

Jose Diaz Balart comes from quite a family, they are like the Cuban political mafia. His aunt was married to Fidel Castro and his father was a Cuban politician. His brother work in Congress and I don't know if his marketability will help him overall nationally to an audience with how many political ties he has with his family. It does not help having family members as politicians at the same time trying to get people to be persuaded and trust him as a news anchor/commentator. NBC needs to tread lightly on this guy.

• 1 month later...

Slightly new graphics for Nightly. Lower thirds are touched up and feature a larger font size. They also now stay on the lower third of the screen throughout the entire story; they don't dissolve away (not a fan). The peacock also now only says NBC NEWS underneath it instead of the website and like TODAY and MTP it flips between that and the show logo. Looking online, these new changes debuted yesterday.

Edit: Just saw this http://www.newscaststudio.com/2016/03/08/nightly-adds-story-banners-new-bug/

• Like 1

I was noticing the same thing. I can't say I'm a fan either. Too much movement for an evening newscast, and the font for the headline (as well as the red color) doesn't match the font or colors used elsewhere in the package.

• Like 1

I hate how the L3 stays up the entire time. What's the point of keeping one up if it doesn't have any real, valuable, worthwhile information. if there was a sub header with more information, I could deal with it, but there isn't. Plus the chasers and runner bars are toooooo busy. Way too busy.

• 4 weeks later...
Worth a read from the Hollywood Reporter about Lester Holt:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/lester-holt-his-rise-top-880720

He is movie star handsome I love that young picture of him. Cool read about Lester he is doing a great job on Nightly News. I don't even miss Brian Williams, to me it seemed like Lester had that chair for a long time.

I like what he said when he said "bosses are not your friends" that is true and that he understands he is working in a cold hearted business. Unfortunately in news business profit has gotten in the way of paying dues and Lester got the chair by being the best in the business. I hope NBC never mistreats Lester Holt, he seems like a good person and in a cold business like that it is easy for bosses to exploit and mismanage the nice people. They don't care about your resume unless it translate to their bottom dollar. Rooting for Lester Holt, very good article.