NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

The only people who know Nightly is done from the insert studio on the weekends are some of NBC's NY employees and users of this website. 99.99% of viewer's don't, so why not? It saves a bunch of money.

So what keeps them from always using the insert studio?

Is it a NABET thing?

• Like 1

Is it a NABET thing?

I imagine there's no way to do cross-talk, when a reporter joins the anchor, from an insert studio like that.

Also, for a national weekday show, that would put too many creative constraints on the technical crew (i.e. no jib shots etc.). Viewers definitely expect more of the weekday newscasts than they do on weekends.

Is it a NABET thing?

The Union is liekly why they're in there to begin with. I presume the group of insert studios can be overseen by one or two engineers/techs who would be there whether or not Nightly was using one. Instead of paying a group of camera operators and stagehands and a lighting person to do a show in 3A, they can just use the insert studio techs who would be there anyways.

Brian Williams fought to keep robotic cameras out of the Nightly News studio, so this was probably the outcome of that fight: they'll keep humans behind the cameras but they won't pay for people to come in on the weekends.

I imagine there's no way to do cross-talk, when a reporter joins the anchor, from an insert studio like that.

That has more to do with the control room than the studio. As far as I know, they use the same control room on the weekends as they do during the week.

Jose Diaz Balart is filling in on Nightly News again this weekend. I wonder if they are trying to introduce/groom him for future roles outside of Telemundo. It's a bit slow but they've been working him in a little bit at a time first appearing in interviews, then Meet The Press, some cross talk during election nights, his MSNBC show, one or two weekends co-hosting Today (his Noticiero Telemundo cohost Maria Celest Arraras filled in on Today's Take twice) and now being added into the rotation of Saturday Nightly.

I'm a big fan of him and glad to see that he's getting credit where credit is due.

• 3 weeks later...

I only saw a post on TVNewser the other day but apparently on the final segment of December 8's broadcast of Nightly News had essentially what was two and a half minute editorial by Tom Brokaw on the comments that Trump made about banning Muslims. I agree with what Tom Brokaw said but I can't remember any time in recent memory where Nightly News did any thing like this. You can watch what Nightly called a "reflection" here: http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/tom-brokaw-reflects-on-trump-s--dangerous-proposal--to-ban-muslims-582434371851

• Like 1

I only saw a post on TVNewser the other day but apparently on the final segment of December 8's broadcast of Nightly News had essentially what was two and a half minute editorial by Tom Brokaw on the comments that Trump made about banning Muslims. I agree with what Tom Brokaw said but I can't remember any time in recent memory where Nightly News did any thing like this. You can watch what Nightly called a "reflection" here: http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/tom-brokaw-reflects-on-trump-s--dangerous-proposal--to-ban-muslims-582434371851

I watched that and I'm glad he did it. We often think of analytical journalism as commentary and something that should be reserved for cable news hosts - but it should be done more often on serious topics like this and it's great to have it done by an experienced and authoritative person like Tom Brokaw.

The most trusted man in America, Walter Cronkite, famously changed the country's perception of the Vietnam war with his editorial at the end of a CBS News special broadcast.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106775685

Lester is out sick today so Brian will be anchoring NBC News Special a Report this afternoon.

But don't expect Brian to fill in on Nightly as he banned from appearing on broadcast

I'm glad seeing Brian Williams on the NBC air again. I've always liked his style, he handles special reports like no other.

• Like 4

Lester is out sick today so Brian will be anchoring NBC News Special a Report this afternoon.

But don't expect Brian to fill in on Nightly as he banned from appearing on broadcast

I don't think I've read it anywhere that he was banned but rather others will fill in.

"From NBC News World Headquarters in New York, This is NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. Substituting Tonight: Brian Williams."

Unlikely we'll ever hear these words. Kate Snow will be handling anchoring duties tonight, after already anchoring her 3-5pm ET block on MSNBC.

"From NBC News World Headquarters in New York, This is NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt. Substituting Tonight: Brian Williams."

Unlikely we'll ever hear these words. Kate Snow will be handling anchoring duties tonight, after already anchoring her 3-5pm ET block on MSNBC.

Never is a long time. I could see him substituting in a few years once he has had a chance to restore his credibility. Question is whether he would want to sub.

• Like 4

So Jose Diaz-Balart substituted on Nightly News last night and he tweeted that he will be anchoring every other weekend. He's taking some time off and will be back in January.

[MEDIA=twitter]678344263621545988[/MEDIA]

Not a big fan of his. Hope he doesn't get it permanently.

• Like 1

Jose Diaz Balart is filling in on Nightly News again this weekend. I wonder if they are trying to introduce/groom him for future roles outside of Telemundo. It's a bit slow but they've been working him in a little bit at a time first appearing in interviews, then Meet The Press, some cross talk during election nights, his MSNBC show, one or two weekends co-hosting Today (his Noticiero Telemundo cohost Maria Celest Arraras filled in on Today's Take twice) and now being added into the rotation of Saturday Nightly.

I'm a big fan of him and glad to see that he's getting credit where credit is due.

Jose Diaz Balart is okay but I have a feeling that he is there to satisfy the Hispanic demographic who are becoming the largest minorities. NBC does not have many anchor Hispanics expect for Natalie Morales so they an extra one to reach their quota. I can't see him being vetted to become a potential fixture evening news anchor. I don't get that instinct that he ever going to be "next big thing".

When Lester was coming up on MSNBC you can tell by seeing him and how he presents the news that he was going to become a future main anchor and "next big thing" for NBC News. He was likable, respected, got people watching and last of endangered group of classic journalists.

I don't see that kind of thing with Balart the quota system is to transparent where people will just see him as another political pawn.

No offensive to Balart but that is how the optics is presented.

• Like 2

Jose Diaz Balart is okay but I have a feeling that he is there to satisfy the Hispanic demographic who are becoming the largest minorities. NBC does not have many anchor Hispanics expect for Natalie Morales so they an extra one to reach their quota. I can't see him being vetted to become a potential fixture evening news anchor. I don't get that instinct that he ever going to be "next big thing".

When Lester was coming up on MSNBC you can tell by seeing him and how he presents the news that he was going to become a future main anchor and "next big thing" for NBC News. He was likable, respected, got people watching and last of endangered group of classic journalists.

I don't see that kind of thing with Balart the quota system is to transparent where people will just see him as another political pawn.

No offensive to Balart but that is how the optics is presented.

No, I don't see Jose doing any more than hosting Saturday Nightly and appearances on MTP and pre recorded bits for NN. But I don't see it as a quota system. That being said NBC is realizing that Hispanics are a growing demographic so they should have their main anchor appear on the "flagship" network. A while back when Telemundo rebranded they specifically mentioned the "duality" of this generation who speak both English and Spanish. I think his appearances simply are showing just that.

No, I don't see Jose doing any more than hosting Saturday Nightly and appearances on MTP and pre recorded bits for NN. But I don't see it as a quota system. That being said NBC is realizing that Hispanics are a growing demographic so they should have their main anchor appear on the "flagship" network. A while back when Telemundo rebranded they specifically mentioned the "duality" of this generation who speak both English and Spanish. I think his appearances simply are showing just that.

It is a quota system caused they have plenty of qualified reporters who could've got the Saturday gig with respectable resumes who people recognize.

Peter Alexander, Carl Quintanilla, Harry Smith, are considered logical shoe in anchors for the job.

Jose is being used as quota, they have a woman hosting the Sunday edition and now they have a spanish speaking Latino.

• Like 2

Everything Erica Hill touches turns into ratings decline. She has a horrible track record, yet still ends up getting jobs. Mind boggling

Erica Hill is on MSNBC filling in more often. She is awful! She makes Don Lemon from CNN look like John Chancellor. Hill is just a disaster, fast talker, unprepared, can't ask good questions, seems lost, doubt she reads about stories she is covering. Who is she sucking up to keep her job?

She anchored the 7-9am eastern block on MSNBC this morning, filling in for Morning Joe. I'm glad they are utilizing her more, and think she is an enjoyable and credentialed anchor. Would love to see her in CNN primetime.

She was on CNN and I remember during her stint there she was with flirting with Anderson Cooper. I don't think CNN wanted her, she lasted there for a couple of years. I don't enjoy watching as an anchor, I lost my interest in her when she was fired from CBS. I thank her for giving us Norah O' Donnell from CBS This Morning, who I enjoy watching. Erica Hill talks like a cartoon character in my opinion. She tries to act like she is Megyn Kelly/Kennedy all rolled into one.

It is a quota system caused they have plenty of qualified reporters who could've got the Saturday gig with respectable resumes who people recognize.

Peter Alexander, Carl Quintanilla, Harry Smith, are considered logical shoe in anchors for the job.

Jose is being used as quota, they have a woman hosting the Sunday edition and now they have a spanish speaking Latino.

I don't agree with this quota thing. Why does it have be some sort of quota that he's getting more prominent work instead of his qualifications for the gig? And it's not like he's some guy they just pulled out of nowhere, he's been around for a while now including of when he was on the This Morning on CBS in the late 90's (and yes, I know this was when you couldn't pay somebody to watch morning news on CBS but still). It is 2015, right?

As for Erica Hill, I've been all that fond of her but I don't think she's terrible either. She's capable but never really stood out to me. But she's perfectly fine filling in on MSNBC and considering she's a fill-in, that's all you need IMO.

I don't agree with this quota thing. Why does it have be some sort of quota that he's getting more prominent work instead of his qualifications for the gig? And it's not like he's some guy they just pulled out of nowhere, he's been around for a while now including of when he was on the This Morning on CBS in the late 90's (and yes, I know this was when you couldn't pay somebody to watch morning news on CBS but still). It is 2015, right?

As for Erica Hill, I've been all that fond of her but I don't think she's terrible either. She's capable but never really stood out to me. But she's perfectly fine filling in on MSNBC and considering she's a fill-in, that's all you need IMO.

Not attacking his credentials but I think it is no coincidence he was pushed cause he caters towards the Hispanic demographic who are rapidly growing population in the US. NBC and Telemundo have an agreement with each other .The changes in news business sometimes can reflect the political/cultural mood in the US.

MSNBC has lost the white blue collar demographic, they all went to Fox News. They can tap into the Hispanic demographic who can possibly help MSNBC's viewership.

MSNBC's change to just a news format helped in keeping them away from bad publicity. I respect your opinion and I agree that she is better off filling in. I can't take any on air personality seriously who change jobs as much as she has. I understand how fleeting the business is but she was given chances to make it at the big time and did not live up to expectations. She is trying to rebound her career now that she is at Weekend edition of Today and at 40 years old, a floating anchor and her days in that business are closing in unless she becomes smart like Chris Jansing and become a correspondent.