NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

Via Facebook, it seems that Thomas Roberts is the first openly gay man to anchor an evening newscast for a major network. Here's an article I pulled from Facebook's trending feature.

http://www.advocate.com/media/2015/07/18/watch-reporting-tonight-thomas-roberts-first-out-gay-man-anchor-network-news

Darn! I wanted this milestone.

I really like that there's no weekend anchor set in stone. I don't see it as inconsistency but as a way for NBC News to show just how deep their talent is, and it's DEEP. Anchoring the weekend edition is also a good way to get people some more time on air.

People that have anchored on weekends

Carl Quintanilla

Peter Alexander

Kate Snow

Thomas Roberts

Craig Melvin

Erica Hill

Willie Geist

Savannah Guthrie sometimes

***I personally wish Harry Smith was given a few more chances***

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Jose Diaz Balart anchoring the Saturday edition tonight.
Apparently he's being added into the rotation. I thought he did great.

Telemundo is obviously proud:

[MEDIA=twitter]668202729765019649[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668203345044205568[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668211303522115584[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668213529430925313[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668218000085024769[/MEDIA]

Apparently he's being added into the rotation. I thought he did great.

Telemundo is obviously proud:

[MEDIA=twitter]668202729765019649[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668203345044205568[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668211303522115584[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668213529430925313[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]668218000085024769[/MEDIA]

What studio is that? Doesn't look like 3C?

What studio is that? Doesn't look like 3C?

It's one of NBC's insert studios that is used for weekend Nightly News and other purposes. They have four of them available for use. Then they have the bigger studio that was used for Wake Up With Al, Noticiero Telemundo when they're in NY and MSNBC sometimes. Another studio is used to provide live continuity for Sprout - their children's channel.

http://nbcny.filmmakersdestination.com/stages/global-media-insert-studios/

But your right - that's the desk that came from the old Nightly News studio. The image comes from the great Dennis Degan on Flickr.

[MEDIA=flickr]557853219[/MEDIA]

I guess I don't understand why they didn't just use the main studio?

Because it costs money to staff a studio - camera operators and stage managers. It's a lot cheaper to do a broadcast from a studio where there's one camera that's robotically operated.

Because it costs money to staff a studio - camera operators and stage managers. It's a lot cheaper to do a broadcast from a studio where there's one camera that's robotically operated.

Yes but this is NBC Nightly News we are talking about, not CBS 493 News in Onionville.

Kidding of course but the point stands, it is the flagship broadcast of NBC News.

• Like 2

Well, the fact that it took posting a picture of the studio for anyone to notice tells me...Its not a big deal. It's the weekend show, and they have an rear projection screen that can make it look just like they're in the main studio. Saves a little money, viewers don't notice. Seems like a no-lose scenario for NBC.

• Like 1