NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

Savannah is anchoring tonight. Lester is out because of a family emergency.

Will it be audition week on Nightly News?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/03/savannah-guthrie-to-fill-in-on-nbcs-nightly-203341.html#.VPS1M_-F9Vw.twitter

This has obviously come up because of personal matters so Savannah better do a good job tonight if she wants to be considered; it might be her only chance to woo NBC executives.

Savannah is anchoring tonight. Lester is out because of a family emergency.

Will it be audition week on Nightly News?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/03/savannah-guthrie-to-fill-in-on-nbcs-nightly-203341.html#.VPS1M_-F9Vw.twitter

This has obviously come up because of personal matters so Savannah better do a good job tonight if she wants to be considered; it might be her only chance to woo NBC executives.

Lester is the best person for the duration of Williams' suspension. He already has a command of the show and the show's tone doesn't skip a beat. To ask viewers to get used to someone new is asking alot. Now, If they're for the interim Weekend Nightly News spot while Lester fills in weekdays, then that's something different.

• 2 weeks later...

It is nice to see Lester begin to put his stamp on this broadcast. He has already changed the opening line and now has been testing new camera and seating positions. I thoroughly appreciate his hard work and dedication in keeping this show relevant. I only hope NBC acts swiftly to install Lester permanently. He is a class act and will give this broadcast the necessary gravitas that Brokaw did for so many years, but Williams failed to do.

Dr. Nancy Snyderman is leaving NBC News.

Wonder if this has anything to do with Brian or if this was actually her decision. I'm sure people would have said Nancy lost her credibility but stayed, Brian should be able to too. Now Nancy is gone.

She did loose some personal credibility based on her stupid mistake of going out during a self imposed quarantine but she did not commit any journalistic crimes. They started using her less and less to the point of once a week where a year or two ago she was on almost daily. I think she may have seen the writing on the wall with this whole Brian Williams saga and realized that Lester will want to book the people he's most comfortable with. One example of Lester putting his mark on Nightly News is less reliance of Al Roker, Janice Huff and the Weather Channel but now the go to meteorologist is Dylan Dreyer. Since Lester took over I think I've only seen Al and Janice once.

I will say I did like "Dr. Nancy" her short lived show on msnbc which had a six month run. The show focused on health and politics. However I don't think there was enough health news for a daily show. I watched it daily while I had to be off my feet between the time I broke my back and my back surgery.

• 5 weeks later...

Lester on tonight. First time on air on a weekend since his first week of filling in for Brian.

Interesting. I wonder if someone else will be doing the weekday Show this week or if Lester working six days this week? I wonder if the Weekend Show audience is the same as the Weekday one?

I wonder if the weekend broadcast has been down without Lester. Wouldn't surprise me.

Hmm Good Question, Could be that especially if there audience who watches Weekend Nightly News. wouldn't surprise me.

They probably wondering where in the world is Lester Holt but by this point they should know what going on. Everybody knows now even people who don't regularly watch any of the National Evening News on the weekends.

Although Peter did both Nightly and TODAY yesterday. Peter did TODAY this morning

couple other possibilities:

Andy and Steve decided to bring Brian back early and he will be back tomorrow or this week sometime (This is the least likely and if this was the cast we would have found out by now as it would have been leak) so that why Lester was back in his normal chair this week.This one is not likely as If this was the case he would have done TODAY Show this yesterday and this morning

Brian was let go permanently late last week or this weekend and a announcement will come sometime this week announcing Lester as the permanent Nightly News anchor.. They wanted Lester to anchor Weekend Nightly a couple more times before he officially moves to Weekday Show permanently in order to allow the weekend Show to have a more peaceful and smooth transition. I think this is the second most likely after ratings being down. Also allows Lester to say goodbye to Weekend Viewers explaining his move to weekday permanently.

Since he hadn't been on Weekend Nightly for awhile he decided he would anchor tonight. but wouldn't he had done both days if that was the case?

Dateline which comes on after Nightly on Sunday is pre tape so.

I don't feel like starting a new thread for something so minor but tonight on Nightly News they used a unique courtesy bug:

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/588535588510392320

Seems to go against their branding guidelines

The bug switches to the right later on in the video. Do you think NBC would accept a video with this logo burnt in?

Edit: Here's a higher resolution version of the image:

f_os_gyrocopter2_150415.jpg

This looks like the In Living Color/Laramie logo being hatched.

I agree that this shouldn't be used. It looks better for another network or maybe something else that this would fit with on this network. But it doesn't feel right for Nightly News; it's just so random. I mean, what's its purpose? "Home-grown video"? That's all I got.

My initial suspicion was that whoever provided the video to NBC did it on the condition that they keep that courtesy graphic in the video when airing it (as in, the people who gave the video over to the media put the courtesy graphic in, not NBC).

It was given to NBC like that. It's similar to how White House video has WH.gov branded on the top right.

It was a toss up for me really. The bug moves around where when most people upload watermarked videos their name is static. I did a reverse image search for this logo and can't find anything similar to this. Finally the font they used seems to match the one used during the show.

It was a toss up for me really. The bug moves around where when most people upload watermarked videos their name is static. I did a reverse image search for this logo and can't find anything similar to this. Finally the font they used seems to match the one used during the show.

It now appears it was burnt in by the photographer. But I still don't know where they got that logo. Google does not return any other hits.

Tonight Lester is in LA. The cold open started out in the large studio that's used mainly for msnbc and CNBC. Then Lester broadcasted most of the show from the anchor desk in the newsroom. Finally the last block was back into the other side of msnbc/cnbc studio where the RP walls that look similar to those in 3B.

• 2 weeks later...

question who interrupts programming when something big happens does holt do it or the today anchors or whoever? i ask because when i was little either brokaw or one of the today anchors would do it

It normally depends on the time. If its during the 7-11 blocks either Matt or Savannah or Matt and Savannah. The anchor of Nightly News normally comes in around noon (the same time the Today anchors leave), so either a well known correspondent (Kate Snow, Peter Alexander) or the NN anchor will anchor till about 4, then after that I've never seen anyone but the NN anchor.