Breaking: Tom Llamas Exiting WNBC

NYNewsCoverage

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let the speculation begin. Who gets the 5pm slot? David Ushery, Gus Rosendale, Rob Schmitt, or a long shot Chuck?

My guess is they are gonna hire someone from outside, but until then use a rotational schedule of fill-ins until a permanent anchor is announced.

Long shot possibilities include paring Shiba with Sibila or Linda or bringing back Jim Rosenfield. If he hadn't left WNBC for WCBS back in 2005 he likely would have been on the verge of getting the 11 pm newscast as I would expect Chuck to retire in the next 2 to 3 years. My guess is Rob gets the 5 pm newscast and David gets 6 and 11 and Gus gets Weekends at 6 and 11. It's also possible Gus or David get the 5 pm newscast tho that's highly unlikely. They just need to stick with David for the 11 pm newscast when Chuck retires unless they get Jim back. Rob or Gus would be a mistake. Another long shot possibility is Michael going to the 5 or 6 and 11 pm newscasts with David, Rob or Gus taking over for him on TINY. As for Tom my guess is he will either end up anchoring one or both of the World News Tonight Weekend shows. Don't see any changes being made to GMA or GMA Weekend and World News Now and America This Morning are not what I would consider to be coveted anchor slots. It also seems NBC and CBS made a play for Tom so that's likely what got him to jump to ABC.

Perhaps WNBC will take Shiba off the 5 pm newscast and it will see two new anchors. Perhaps Rob and Darlene and move Shiba to TINY. Wonder why Stacey Bell hasn't filled in weekdays much.

That actually might be a good idea. Shiba doesn't seem like the most popular and likeable person. I like Shiba a lot, but nothing about her makes me turn to WNBC to watch the news at 5.

Perhaps WNBC will take Shiba off the 5 pm newscast and it will see two new anchors. Perhaps Rob and Darlene and move Shiba to TINY. Wonder why Stacey Bell hasn't filled in weekdays much.

Everything you say is possible but I would not put Shiba at TINY. She doesn't show any aspects of a good morning anchor.

Something I would like to see is Michael G. move to 5pm and Noon and have Rob replace Michael on TINY.

Everything you say is possible but I would not put Shiba at TINY. She doesn't show any aspects of a good morning anchor.

Something I would like to see is Michael G. move to 5pm and Noon and have Rob replace Michael on TINY.

I honestly think that none of David U., Michael G., or Gus R. are #1 DMA anchor material. Michael and Gus are better suited to be reporters in my opinion, while David can pass as a weekend anchor in DMA #1, but nothing more. I mean, there is a reason he was let go from WABC, and a reason he was demoted from weekday evenings anchoring. Rob in the mornings on the other hand might be a good move! As for Shiba, I feel like she is getting the "Deborah Norville" treatment. Wrong place wrong time. While she is not the greatest, she is not as bad as everyone makes her out to be.

If WNBC doesn't hire someone to fill the 5 PM slot, why don't they just use Chuck? There's other NBC O&Os where there 6 & 11 guy also does the 5. KNBC, WTVJ, KNSD & KNTV are a few stations that come to mind. So there's no reason Chuck can't handle the 5 in addition to his current 6 & 11 duties.

If WNBC doesn't hire someone to fill the 5 PM slot, why don't they just use Chuck? There's other NBC O&Os where there 6 & 11 guy also does the 5. KNBC, WTVJ, KNSD & KNTV are a few stations that come to mind. So there's no reason Chuck can't handle the 5 in addition to his current 6 & 11 duties.

At this stage in his career, there's no indication they will have Chuck take on an additional newscast. If they wanted him to do the 5pm, he would have done it years ago.

As much as people here don't like Shiba, I don't see WNBC demoting her back to weekends anytime soon. If they were they wouldn't have promoted her to the weekday slot within months of joining the station. And speaking of Sibila I wouldn't be surprised if she lasts longer then 3 years since she apparently has a track record of only lasting 2 - 3 years tops at each station she's been at. Now I like both Shiba & Sibila and have no problems with them. Shiba also seems to be the primary fill-in for Sibila when she's off just like she was for Sue Simmons. As for Stacey Bell, I think they only use her as as weekday fill-in for Sibila is off and Shiba isn't available.

Or they can get rid of Shiba and have Sibila and David do the 5, 6 and 11 pm newscasts and put Rob on weekends and perhaps once WPIX makes another anchor change they can hire Shiba.

If Sibila's track record continues, then I see her gone before Shiba.

In that case perhaps Shiba would be back at 11 again in a few years tho I don't see Sibila wanting to leave WNBC. Perhaps WNBC tho will want to see Sibila leave. Shiba can become the Dana Tyler of WNBC unless they went with Pat, Contessa or Darlene.

I would hope Sibila stays longer then 3 years. I like her just as much as I like Shiba. They both are good in their own way.

Other than being a news junkie, I have absolutely zero experience in this industry, though I do have my opinions.

I honestly can't explain why I feel how I feel, but I do have some strange affinity to NBC and WNBC News. However, the one anchor I absolutely cannot watch is Shiba. I admit that at first it was because I was so sorry to see Sue go; she was an NBC News institution, and although I understand what happened and even why, I had a very difficult time with it and I could not watch her "replacement", perhaps out of loyalty, who knows?

Anyway, over time I have tried to watch her broadcasts, and for some reason I still just cannot. WCBS becomes my broadcast of choice when she is anchoring. I was thrilled when Shiba was moved from 11 PM to Noon. Watching WCBS at Noon and 5 is a decent choice for me, but besides Shiba not wanting the late shift, if she needs to stay at all, please don't move her anywhere else. Sibila, on the other hand, despite apparent majority opinion, fits in well with Chuck IMO.

And whatever they do, please do NOT touch TINY -- that team is really a fantastic way to start my day and yes, though there have been many changes over the years for a variety of reasons, that broadcast always seems to work for me.

OK, I have no idea why I needed to get all this off my chest, but I did. Please don't have me too much. Though verbose, I'm actually not a bad guy ;)

Archived