Breaking: Tom Llamas Exiting WNBC

NYNewsCoverage

Just read this from our friend Jerry Barmash: http://tunedinnyc.com/2014/08/26/breaking-tom-llamas-exiting-wnbc/

It seems pretty accurate considering that the ND sent an email out, so it's likely official. So will this mean that Rob Schmitt will get to anchor next to Shiba Russel at 5pm in addition to his noon duties?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow what a bummer, wonder what happened? Does it have anything to do with ratings? Is Tom going back to Florida? Who knows. I'll just say this...I just really hope David Ushery gets the spot since he should of gotten it to begin with...Rob Schmitt is fine at Noon but won't help their ratings at 5pm...David Ushery is familiar to the Tri state audience since he's been on the last 20 years and can only help...Stay Tuned I guess...lol

I've always enjoyed Tom as an anchor and thought he did well at WNBC and thought he would go far. I suspected something was up though when they seemed to be using him less & less as the fill in for Chuck. As for who would take his spot on the 5 that's anybody's guess, but could they just have Chuck anchor at 5 in addition to his 6 & 11 PM duties? I mean other stations across the country have their main male anchors handle the 5 PM show in addition to the 6 & 11 PM show. Some examples include:

Chuck Henry - KNBC

Adam Kuperstein - WTVJ (though he only anchors the first half of the 5, Trina Robinson takes over at 5:30)

Mark Mullen - KNSD

Raj Mathai - KNTV and so on.

And would they put David on the 5? They tried him on a weekday slot before which apparently didn't work out. He's good enough to be a weekend anchor, but guess he's not good enough to be a weeknight anchor.

My guess? Rob takes over at 5, leaving the 6 and 11 to David when Chuck hangs it up. Yes, he's been on weekdays before, but the station is not the same as it was then, and I'm sure David might feel he's at a different position in his career, as well.

Just read the post over on tvspy supposedly he's network bound. If so congrats and good luck. I'll know he will be great there just as he was anchoring at WNBC.

For some reason I always had a feeling Tom was looking to move up to the network... Congrats to Tom!... here's the article on TVSpy : http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/tom-llamas-leaving-wnbc_b127765

While he might be a good fit, I don't think going to ABC would be a step forward in his career. ABC has loaded up with a lot of young, impressive talent, and Tom would likely get lost in the fray because he's late to the party. I think NBC would be his best network bet, unless cable or a high-ranking local spot come calling.

This sounds to me like Tom is staying at NBC just moving up to the network. Although the only thing the article said was that he's "network bound" ...whatever that means exactly.

It could be he's joining NBC News as a full time correspondent hence why it says "Network bound". Joe Fryer who is currently a Los Angeles based correspondent was hired on last year from KING-TV (NBC affiliate) in Seattle after filling in over the summer. KNBC reporter Jacob Rascon is currently working at NBC news as a Los Angeles correspondent as well through September. A lot of people are hoping that NBC hires him full time as well.

Tom often fills in for Jenna Wolf on Weekend Today. I wonder if he moves up to NBC News, he will fill in for her while she is away.

I could see that happen, but another thing that I just thought of was that since Tom is from Miami, maybe he is moving back and will be a network correspondent down there.

In the few clips from Youtube that I've seen of Tom anchoring, he seemed to have improved compared to back in 2011, when News 4 NY at 5 was revived. I hope his next stop is somewhere within the ranks of NBC news.

Guys, I think this tweet to Tom Llamas was meant to be a joke. "Hombre Caliente" translates to "Hot Man" or "Hot Guy" in English. I highly doubt Tom Llamas will be hosting a show called "Hot Guy" on Telemundo.

Speculating but I get the feeling Tom will be departing the NBC family completely. If he was just going to NBC News he wouldn't have to wait until he was off air on WNBC to reveal.

I think your correct. He changed his twitter handle and erased all indication he was with WNBC/NBC. Just a generic "stay tuned" and New York, NY in the bio.

Archived