Corporate General Threads and How to Use Them

Smitha A

Hello all!

We have decided to move ahead on our plan to create a "Corporate" board, for discussion about station ownership groups and the like. This should be where discussion regarding mergers/buyouts regarding more than one station, station group "mandates", and other "corporate culture" matters should take place.

Please remember that things like corporate graphics packages should be taken to the Graphics forum, and things like corporate website layouts should be taken to the Web/Social forum.

As there is now a place dedicated to talking about companies' doings, the "general discussion" threads will be re-evaluated in the coming days and may be split/closed. This is part of the Topic Quality Control Initiative.

Happy Posting!

Smitha

How should the "little guys" (i.e. smaller companies) be treated? Since they will garner far fewer posts and less frequently but may get some attention - as long as they don't sell.

In most cases, whatever's going on, regardless of company size, should get it's own thread. Company matters here, individual station matters in General TV.

For example, let's say XYZ Corp is meging with KableCorp. That should be posted here. KableCorp clearing house at WXXX after the merger would go in General TV as it's own thread.

The "general thread" concept is fundamentally broken and wasn't really supposed to end up outside of the NY board, where they were supposed to serve as a catch-all for really small things that didn't warrant a new thread. Now everything's messed up I'm slowly trying to correct it.

I don't want to tell anyone what they can and can't post. If you want to post a scathing review of the bathrooms at Sinclair's HQ, you're welcome to, just post a new thread about it!

In most cases, whatever's going on, regardless of company size, should get it's own thread. Company matters here, individual station matters in General TV.

For example, let's say XYZ Corp is meging with KableCorp. That should be posted here. KableCorp clearing house at WXXX after the merger would go in General TV as it's own thread.

The "general thread" concept is fundamentally broken and wasn't really supposed to end up outside of the NY board, where they were supposed to serve as a catch-all for really small things that didn't warrant a new thread. Now everything's messed up I'm slowly trying to correct it.

I don't want to tell anyone what they can and can't post. If you want to post a scathing review of the bathrooms at Sinclair's HQ, you're welcome to, just post a new thread about it!

Doing it that way is only going to make it much, much worse. We'd probably be better off discussing each company in one thread. If we create a new thread for each little thing that happens, such as in your cleaning house example, then we'll only have a thousand threads again. Personally it seems better to have things compact enough that they stick in one thread. Doing it the other way is a bit unwieldy and hard to keep track of. If we discuss Sinclair in one thread and MG in another etc. that makes a hell of a lot more sense then a new thread for each little event at an individual station. What to do with things that don't warrant a thread but might be interesting as an aside but concern one station?

These rules would also seem to go against what you said when the Sinclair general thread was created too...

I'll say this TVNT is going down a really bad path like other sites who use IP.Board like forums where there is 40 different categories to choose from and too many options enables dictators (err moderators) to start controlling the content of the threads.

Please don't make this reputable site go tacky like every other forum to exist on the Net.

Guest NewsHound

THANK YOU! I hate these General Discussion threads. I'm not going to hunt through 10s of 100s of pages of posts and off-topic ramblings and stupid questions and posts that are merely speculation to find out whats happening. :rant:

THANK YOU! I hate these General Discussion threads. I'm not going to hunt through 10s of 100s of pages of posts and off-topic ramblings and stupid questions and posts that are merely speculation to find out whats happening. :rant:

Does that mean you'd rather have 10's of hundreds of threads to sort through?

Guest NewsHound

Does that mean you'd rather have 10's of hundreds of threads to sort through?

No, if a topic doesn't interest me I won't read it. Don't force me to have to read everything.

I think like this: if Joe Schmo gets promoted from VP to president of marketing or something for [iNSERT MEDIA COMPANY], that that news wouldn't deserve a thread of it's own, thus making a general discussion thread to be a valuable piece to have around. On the other hand, if a company goes up for sale, gets new graphics, or gets nuked off the face of the Earth, then it deserves a thread. One way to look at it is if it's a random note and not a debatable topic, toss it in the general pile. If it lends itself to conversation and discussion, it should stand alone.

I think like this: if Joe Schmo gets promoted from VP to president of marketing or something for [iNSERT MEDIA COMPANY], that that news wouldn't deserve a thread of it's own, thus making a general discussion thread to be a valuable piece to have around. On the other hand, if a company goes up for sale, gets new graphics, or gets nuked off the face of the Earth, then it deserves a thread. One way to look at it is if it's a random note and not a debatable topic, toss it in the general pile. If it lends itself to conversation and discussion, it should stand alone.

I agree 100% with this, stuff off my TV tuner that's odd or interesting isn't worth a thread every time, just an anecdotal mention.

I'm not liking these new rules. Its too Orwellian. I think the moderators should have a thicker skin and avoid not dictating what we can or cannot say.

I've have never once gotten the impression that the Admins are trying to dictate what we can and can't say. the only thing I've seen them do is try to get people to have discussions in the proper corners of the playground. There is no need to have two or three or more discussions on the same topic taking place in two or three or more places. You will have much better discussion if everyone that is participating is in one place instead of scattered all over the place. So, they are trying to prod everyone back into the proper places. The fact that they haven't gone hog wild locking, splitting or moving threads shows that they have restraint and are trying to guide members.

I couldn't agree more with this! It was worth a shot to try these [insert station group] general discussion threads. But, it's made things worse. Heck, we currently have two Gannett "General Discussion" threads. And, most of the posts within them are continuations of discussions already taking place elsewhere or would warrant there own threads. In some cases threads have been created after originally being brought up in the "general discussion" threads like KSWB's recent newscast expansion. It's hard to fault a member for creating a thread in order to discuss a topic when they don't currently see discussion (ie: thread) taking place. They'd like to join the discussion but, as far as they can see there isn't one taking place. And, if it's becoming hard for current members to find a discussion how do we expect any potential new members to find that one discussion that takes them from "lurker" to "member".

Isn't that kind of what the "Out and About" thread evolved into, a dumping ground for random nuggets.

In the case of the Jack Williams story, he was a prominent anchor at one of the prominent CBS O&Os, and I felt his story deserved his own thread and not Out and About for the peons