Fox Television Stations - General Discussion

Samantha

I didn't notice this until a promo ran on KSAZ just now. After seven years the "MyFox" site name is no more, with the station now using the domain name fox10phoenix.com — this matches their other social media. (Previously they had used fox10.com which still redirects to the correct domain.)

So far no other Fox O&O has done this, but it's a really good move. In 2007 when this site name format was created MySpace was the thing; now it's just an Internet relic, so the "My" sounds tacky and the logos look dated. (I suspect it's been kept because it creates some sort of connection to the MyNetworkTV stations.) KSAZ's also been making a visible push at increasing its social media presence over the last couple years, so it makes sense (their social media accounts all follow this branding).

Also MyFox8.com

I thought MyFox8.com was a replacement domain by LocalTV... (other replacement domains included Fox4KC.com, Fox2Now.com, Fox13Now.com and Fox6Now.com). WGHP previously had something along the lines of "MyFoxPiedmont.com" when they were still an O&O. WBRC never had theirs reset from MyFoxAL.com because LocalTV already agreed to trade it to Raycom.

WJW actually got REALLY lucky when the domain names were reset by LocalTV. They got Fox8.com.

I thought MyFox8.com was a replacement domain by LocalTV... (other replacement domains included Fox4KC.com, Fox2Now.com, Fox13Now.com and Fox6Now.com). WGHP previously had something along the lines of "MyFoxPiedmont.com" when they were still an O&O. WBRC never had theirs reset from MyFoxAL.com because LocalTV already agreed to trade it to Raycom.

WJW actually got REALLY lucky when the domain names were reset by LocalTV. They got Fox8.com.

Oh, WGHP's O&O domain was MyFoxWGHP.com Yeah, it was random. I'm awaiting for the "MyFox" domain to be finally retired by all including WBRC.

• 4 weeks later...

Some Fox O&Os have hopped on the Syncbak train: KDFW, KSAZ, KTBC, KTTV, WJZY, WNYW. The apps are branded Fox [#] Go!.

That said Syncbak really could use a better UI. It does not look right. At all. Also some O&Os are missing for whatever reason. This was launched on Monday.

WNYW & KTTV have both been doing the Syncbak thing for a little while now. WNYW started in February and KTTV jumped aboard over the summer. And, since they were early to the party they have yet to adopt the Fox [#] Go! branding that all their sister stations are now using.

I think it's also worth noting that FTS is requiring authentication via a MVPD in order to stream on their Syncbak apps. Most of the launched markets only have one cable provider on board. On top of the need to install all the gear this might also explain why only a subset of stations have launched so far.

WNYW & KTTV have both been doing the Syncbak thing for a little while now. WNYW started in February and KTTV jumped aboard over the summer. And, since they were early to the party they have yet to adopt the Fox [#] Go! branding that all their sister stations are now using.

I think it's also worth noting that FTS is requiring authentication via a MVPD in order to stream on their Syncbak apps. Most of the launched markets only have one cable provider on board. On top of the need to install all the gear this might also explain why only a subset of stations have launched so far.

That cable provider is Comcast.

For KSAZ this app is downright useless if Comcast is the only available MVPD because all of Comcast's Arizona systems are in the Tucson area. Cox and CenturyLink are the MVPDs in Phoenix, with the rural areas being served largely by Cox, Suddenlink and some other small fry cable companies. Most of the stations seem to be in TWC markets, with Cablevision and TWC on board for WNYW.

Though, I did try the app and it worked and gave me a video stream. I bet they're going to put the authentication on after so many days.

• 4 months later...

Sometime within the last week or so, KDFW has switched from myfoxdfw.com to fox4news.com. Is this the end of the "MyFox_____" sites?

Seeing as how the myfoxinsertcityhere.com sites came about when MySpace was at the height of its' popularity, I would think it would be good to change them.

Archived