6abc Fall Schedule Change

rear_flank

Just saw a commercial on Channel 6 about their new fall schedule in the afternoon

12pm-1pm: Action News (was a half hour)

1-2pm: The Chew

2-2:30pm: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (was at 12:30)

2:30-3pm: Jeopardy

3pm-4pm: General Hospital (back to original time when All My Children & One Life To Live was on)

I don't understand why they didn't just leave General Hospital where it was and put Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Jeopardy in the 3-4pm slot

Interesting!

Expanding the noon news to an hour makes sense. I like the hour-long 11am newscast that 10 does because it allows for more in-depth coverage and stories.

Moving GH back to the 3pm slot is obviously an attempt to give Action News at 4 a better lead-in. A repeat of Jeopardy wouldn't cut it, I think.

Good move by 6.

Very good move by 6.

I used to watch Jeopardy a lot as a kid, so watching it twice a day will be appointment television for me. And as for Action News expanding to an hour at noon, I agree with Matt. This really makes sense. Watching Rick Williams 2 hours a day makes a day 37% better.

Action News is such a fast paced newscast, wouldn't adding an hour to both slots just slow the newscast down?

I know this is stupid to say, but I don't get why people would want to watch Millionaire? I never think the syndie ever had a winner of a $1m, and its so damn staged. They get people having to "phone a friend" for some lame question like "Whose the second president of the US?" - really basic questions, and its like the $1,000 question.

Not sure which is worse, the dummies that go on the show (or recruit) or is our country just lowering our standards?

This will be interesting to see with these programming changes what the other O&Os have in store. They got crappy daytime programming and not so great programing at primetime, this isn't the ABC I once knew.

All very surprising. We all knew Millionaire & Jeopardy were coming to replace Katie, but the schedule shift is a bit of a shock. I believe I saw elsewhere on this site that another ABC O&O was expanding their midday newscast and I'm glad to see it here too. ABC product also feels like a better lead-in to the 4pm than a Jeopardy rerun.

The bigger shock comes on PHL17. Again, a move I'm happy to see. For me, Modern Family has been a regular choice after the 10pm newscast, and with an hour's worth of news at 10 now, unless there's a big story it'll be a tough choice between that and another 11pm newscast.

And I was figuring there wouldn't be much of a shakeup at 6 once the new syndication season set in... :rofl!:

All very surprising. We all knew Millionaire & Jeopardy were coming to replace Katie, but the schedule shift is a bit of a shock. I believe I saw elsewhere on this site that another ABC O&O was expanding their midday newscast and I'm glad to see it here too. ABC product also feels like a better lead-in to the 4pm than a Jeopardy rerun.

The bigger shock comes on PHL17. Again, a move I'm happy to see. For me, Modern Family has been a regular choice after the 10pm newscast, and with an hour's worth of news at 10 now, unless there's a big story it'll be a tough choice between that and another 11pm newscast.

And I was figuring there wouldn't be much of a shakeup at 6 once the new syndication season set in... :rofl!:

The other O&O is WABC.

With the announcement that Action News at Noon would go a full hour and so will the PHL17 Newscasts at 10, it got me thinking how 6 will handle the anchors. First with PHL17 going an hour and on weekends too, I don't see Walter anchoring solo for two straight hours. I know it's been mentioned that Sarah has anchored alongside Walter on Sundays (?). Maybe they can make it a permanent pairing.

In effect, on the Noon newscasts at 6, the most likely option might be Rick Williams and Sharrie.

Walter is mentioned on the release as the weekend anchor... I don't think that's been mentioned anywhere before.

The 10pm news is significant. Obviously they're doing well enough to merit the full hour and the logistical challenges it poses (given that Brian and Shirleen are at the kids' table, and Jim is at the main desk). The fact that they beat 29 in July, at least in total viewers, is also significant. Action News at 10 has basically no lead in. That means viewers are turning in on the strength of the name alone.

General Hospital moving back to 3pm are only in certain markets while other markets will keep it on at 2pm. However back in 2011, when ABC canned All My Children and One Life to Live they had to give an hour back to the affiliates, so 2PM was when they put General Hospital on and those affiliates that had Katie were on at 3PM.

(Even Stevie Wonder himself knew Katie wasn't going to last), so with that being. I read last week certain ABC markets were going to move General Hospital back at 3PM.

General Hospital moving back to 3pm are only in certain markets while other markets will keep it on at 2pm. However back in 2011, when ABC canned All My Children and One Life to Live they had to give an hour back to the affiliates, so 2PM was when they put General Hospital on and those affiliates that had Katie were on at 3PM.

(Even Stevie Wonder himself knew Katie wasn't going to last), so with that being. I read last week certain ABC markets were going to move General Hospital back at 3PM.

When ABC canned AMC & OLTL, it was replaced with The Chew & The Revolution (yeah, remember that one?). But when Katie came about, the network went ahead and canned the Revolution, and place GH at 2pm, to make room for Katie at 3pm. In between that weeks between the end of The Revolution and the GH move to do was that successful.

Of course, who couldn't remember that certain program that aired those nine weeks in between the end of the Revolution and the GH move to 2pm. Y'all know what I'm talking about.

When ABC canned AMC & OLTL, it was replaced with The Chew & The Revolution (yeah, remember that one?). But when Katie came about, the network went ahead and canned the Revolution, and place GH at 2pm, to make room for Katie at 3pm. In between that weeks between the end of The Revolution and the GH move to do was that successful.

Of course, who couldn't remember that certain program that aired those nine weeks in between the end of the Revolution and the GH move to 2pm. Y'all know what I'm talking about.

Are you talking about Good Afternoon America?

Oh yeah, I remember that show. I really quite enjoyed it. Josh and Lara were quite wonderful as hosts. And I really liked the chemistry.

Oh yeah, I remember that show. I really quite enjoyed it. Josh and Lara were quite wonderful as hosts. And I really liked the chemistry.

With the announcement that Action News at Noon would go a full hour and so will the PHL17 Newscasts at 10, it got me thinking how 6 will handle the anchors. First with PHL17 going an hour and on weekends too, I don't see Walter anchoring solo for two straight hours. I know it's been mentioned that Sarah has anchored alongside Walter on Sundays (?). Maybe they can make it a permanent pairing.

In effect, on the Noon newscasts at 6, the most likely option might be Rick Williams and Sharrie.

Or Sarah could continue at Noon Monday-Thursday, co-anchor Sunday nights, with Sharrie co-anchoring noon on Fridays and nights on Saturday?

Walter is mentioned on the release as the weekend anchor... I don't think that's been mentioned anywhere before.

The 10pm news is significant. Obviously they're doing well enough to merit the full hour and the logistical challenges it poses (given that Brian and Shirleen are at the kids' table, and Jim is at the main desk). The fact that they beat 29 in July, at least in total viewers, is also significant. Action News at 10 has basically no lead in. That means viewers are turning in on the strength of the name alone.

Logistical challenges? I don't see any. They easily transition from 4pm to 5pm, and 5pm to 6pm.

Or Sarah could continue at Noon Monday-Thursday, co-anchor Sunday nights, with Sharrie co-anchoring noon on Fridays and nights on Saturday?

Logistical challenges? I don't see any. They easily transition from 4pm to 5pm, and 5pm to 6pm.

Yes, but the transitions from the 4 to the 5 and the 5 to the 6 are all done on the same station.

The transition from the 10pm to the 11pm will involve switching from one station to the other. I mean, it's probably doable, but given that the 10pm uses a completely different setup than the 11, that might complicate things.

Yes, but the transitions from the 4 to the 5 and the 5 to the 6 are all done on the same station.

The transition from the 10pm to the 11pm will involve switching from one station to the other. I mean, it's probably doable, but given that the 10pm uses a completely different setup than the 11, that might complicate things.

They do have two control rooms, one for each studio and I believe they are both exactly the same running Ignite. They most likely have one central router that feeds the two different control rooms so it shouldn't be that difficult. Given the fact that WPVI is decently automated most likely all of their graphical templates are created in either ENPS or iNews and their use of VizRT the producers most likely for regular chyrons or full screen graphics would most likely only need to be coded in the run down and they would be rendered on the fly. I. Elieve for a simple bullet list they would code the template to be used and then enter the list as it's to be displayed in the rundown.

30 Rock for example has one giant router that is used to feed the main control room and back up that is used for Nightly News and Today but the router feeds the remaining 7 control rooms.

As a side note I was just reading an article about when WPVI moved into their new facility they didn't include a regular switcher or traditional sound board. To me that seems crazy for the lengths they went through to be technically the best, they didn't need to but I would expect them to put one in their primary studio control room even if they don't plan on using it. Rather they outfitted it to the point where they could link it to their production truck if the need arises.

They could simply just have the 10PM end at say 10:57 and fill the remaining 3 mins with commercials on 17 so they can transition to broadcasting on 6. I'm sure that's simply a few button pushes at master control. They only have one live studio. The other they only use for their public affairs shows (which are all prerecorded) and promos and the control room for it is simply for flexibility so they can tape the shows whenever they want.

They could simply just have the 10PM end at say 10:57 and fill the remaining 3 mins with commercials on 17 so they can transition to broadcasting on 6. I'm sure that's simply a few button pushes at master control. They only have one live studio. The other they only use for their public affairs shows (which are all prerecorded) and promos and the control room for it is simply for flexibility so they can tape the shows whenever they want.

Yes, one live studio but I'd expect them to use the second control room so the staff change from 10-11 wouldn't interfere with the 11PM broadcast preparation. I'd be surprised if they did not set it up so that they control one studio from either control room. Prior to MSNBC adding studio 3K they used two control rooms so the staff would not have to rush to finish up one show while upcoming show doesn't have to rush to preload the system.

Action News is such a fast paced newscast, wouldn't adding an hour to both slots just slow the newscast down?

No, cause they will most likely simply do 2 1/2hr newcasts...like they already do with the Sunday noon nescast.

It's nothing for 6. They have a state of the art station afterall. No different then switching liveshots during a newcast. Keep inmind eyewitness news already does it every morning.

With the expansion to a full hour at noon, I wonder if Channel 6 will utilize fill-ins when one anchor is off. With the half hour, they typically go solo (except for a few weeks earlier this year when they were "experimenting").

With the expansion to a full hour at noon, I wonder if Channel 6 will utilize fill-ins when one anchor is off. With the half hour, they typically go solo (except for a few weeks earlier this year when they were "experimenting").

In my opinion, I expect to see Sharrie to be the primary fill-in in the event that Rick and/or Sarah is out. Maybe we'll see more Alicia Vitarelli at noon when needed but then again she's the primary fill-in when Brian or Shirleen are out. I would not be surprised if though if they go solo when the situation calls for it at noon since I'd think they would want to have two anchors for the 4, 5, and 10.

In my opinion, I expect to see Sharrie to be the primary fill-in in the event that Rick and/or Sarah is out. Maybe we'll see more Alicia Vitarelli at noon when needed but then again she's the primary fill-in when Brian or Shirleen are out. I would not be surprised if though if they go solo when the situation calls for it at noon since I'd think they would want to have two anchors for the 4, 5, and 10.

Alicia Vitarelli is too goofy for serious news

Archived