New KSHB set

MidwestTV

KSHB in Kansas City has officially started construction on their new set.

Per meteorologist JD Rudd's Twitter: https://twitter.com/jdrudd/status/500821495963451392/photo/1

BvNGe8EIQAA7UMY.jpg

A couple other images:

Weather center: https://twitter.com/jdrudd/status/500764058233356289/photo/1

Panorama: https://twitter.com/jdrudd/status/500702442699243520/photo/1 (off to the far right is where the KC Live studio used to be)

They wasted no time taking it down! That's more or less half their set already gone in a day. A few weeks ago they moved their daytime talk show, "Kansas City Live," set into its own separate studio. Kansas City Live took up a good third of their now old studio, so with it in it's own place, that frees up a lot of space in their main for the new set. Their new thing, designed by Park Place, should debut in either September or early October. Their old one was 6 years and 9 days old (it debuted on August 8, 2008, the opening night of the Beijing Olympics, that's why such an exact date can be given).

This is WAY off topic but something that I have noticed here in the KC market is that every station with a "sister station" here in KC uses that station for newscasts.... But KSHB DOES NOT use 38 the spot (KMCI) for any newscasts.... you'd think that this would be a good way to compete with other stations (KMBC on KCWE) and now (KCTV on KCMO)... Ive just never understood why they don't do something.

This is WAY off topic but something that I have noticed here in the KC market is that every station with a "sister station" here in KC uses that station for newscasts.... But KSHB DOES NOT use 38 the spot (KMCI) for any newscasts.... you'd think that this would be a good way to compete with other stations (KMBC on KCWE) and now (KCTV on KCMO)... Ive just never understood why they don't do something.

They tried a 9pm newscast a number of years ago and it failed miserably. Plus, those newscasts on KMBC and KCWE constantly rate below a 1.0, so there's not really a point since practically no one is watching.

Edit: Looks like the lights are down. It would appear that JD Rudd will be posting photos of the project. He likes to give people a behind-the-scenes look into his job. I wonder, though, if he'll have to stop as the new set is actually being built:

BvTezyECMAI-TaB.jpg

Honestly, I almost cannot tell that they are redoing the set. It all looks the same to me.

Not surprising since they practically moved the critical components of the main set into another studio minus all of the monitors. That's probably the point too. But i don't know why they had to switch what sides the weather and sports folk sit on...that's weird.

It's amazing what more you can do when you no longer share a studio with another program. I feel like a portion of the studio was designed with the NOW in mind. Guess we'll find out if they'll move it from the newsroom to the main studio.

Park Place is doing their set we saw it in a mockup some weeks ago since then they took it down. They were also going to do KMGH but i saw on Newscast Studio that Devlin is doing it.

What happened with Park Place and that render I wonder then? What's interesting is that Scripps has gone to multiple different companies for their stations' set upgrades. First FX, then BDI, followed by Park Place and now Devlin apparently. You'd think they'd just try to strike up a deal with a company or two. No matter, multiple companies = varying designs.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that set looks like it'll be pretty nice for Kansas City. While I'm not the biggest fan of plain, monotone (even if color changing), light-up walls, it will be interesting to see what color combinations they use. Obviously they don't have the studio lights on, but I like the way it looks when it's dark like that. Hopefully they'll use blue/purple for their night newscasts.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't quite tell but is there enough room for everyone to sit at the desk? Or is it a sports and weather areas with throwovers setup? I can tell by looking at it that it isn't a sports and weather stand on the ends kind of desk.

The desk is significantly smaller than their old one.Hell, the anchors appear to barely fit within the corners before those "holes." They look cramped. I'm still trying to figure out what the solo-talent shots will look like. Based off of that shot of Jack Harry, it looks like it's either going to be tight and awkward or purposely wide with the talent framed to the left to utilized that video array.

That "digital center" is different than the render. There are only 2 vertical monitors with one horizontal one in the middle instead of the three vertical like the render, and there's also no desk there like the render. That's a lot of open space.

My biggest beef with the set are those, ugly, dull, boring, uninspired grey spaces topping the set. They surely could have done something more interesting there. Put up a peacock, "41," "KC" or something.

I love this set! to me this set makes the station more competitive and it makes them stand out in the market. I do think that this will help ratings. Its just so open and i do really like it! in one of the pictures in the gallery it does look as if there is an interview set where the old green screen used to be... but hey they will reveal it in weeks to come!

One interesting note in the video Jiao Jiao was absent from the morning crew.... Could it be signs to come.. i do like her so it is interesting what the station has planned.

I hope WMAR get some nice stuff nothing crazy. As well KNXV and WFTS, but they have newsroom sets. Some of Scripps sets looks very plastic ie. WCPO.

WMAR needs it worst of all and more than anyone in the Scripps group.

Archived