Craig Ferguson headed to Tribune for a 7pm talk show?

Rusty Muck

Yup.

On KDAF, Celebrity Name Game is slotted for 6:30 and 10:00. If that lasts, and this makes it to air at 6:00, that'll be a full hour of Craig. Tribune must really like him.

This is FANTASTIC news. I love Craig Ferguson, his humor, and his "shtick". Hopefully this will give tribune stations a boost in ratings.

As I just posted elsewhere:

At least in this area, if not a majority of the central time zone, the 6:00 pm CT (7:00 pm ET) newscast is one of the major local newscasts. If you're not doing a 6:00 pm newscast, that's basically a sign that your station has given up competing for local news viewers altogether.

I'm wondering how this is going to play on a station like WITI-TV, Tribune's Milwaukee FOX affiliate, which has a reasonably competitive newscast followed by TMZ, which flows well into FOX prime-time programming. I don't see them wanting to give up either for a program foisted upon them by Tribune. Frankly, I don't see a good slot for this on WITI at all... even the 10:35 pm slot has a surprisingly well rated "Seinfeld" syndicated broadcast. Maybe 11:05 pm?

Will this be the first show of Tribune's influence on stations like WITI - will they be *forced* to carry it at 6:00 or 6:30, like it or not?

Didn't WITI have to carry Arsenio?

Have to? I don't know, but they do carry it at 11:05 pm. That's why I suggested that slot as being open.

I suppose it's possible they bump TMZ down to 11:05, and do Ferguson at 6:30. It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing WITI will want to carry in that slot.

As another fan of Craig and his brand, I'm excited for this new shows to come in the years to come. I've enjoyed The Late Late Show since I was a kid and now can enjoy him in two different shows. I so cannot wait for Celebrity Name Game next month and the new talk show next fall, if the news are confirmed and Craig himself says so.

This dude will go more places.

Really? 7pm? If "Celebrity Name Game" does well, it will move from Sinclair's WRLH (don't know what time CNG will air on that station this fall) to Tribune's WTVR at 7:30pm after Craig's new show. That will mean the 7pm newscast on WTVR - which has been around for a few years - will be axed and will probably move "Access Hollywood" somewhere AND the two shows will compete against "Wheel" and "Jeopardy!" on WRIC (the two have been on that station a long time) and "ET" & "Inside Edition" (2nd airing) on WWBT. That's crazy!

As I just posted elsewhere:

At least in this area, if not a majority of the central time zone, the 6:00 pm CT (7:00 pm ET) newscast is one of the major local newscasts. If you're not doing a 6:00 pm newscast, that's basically a sign that your station has given up competing for local news viewers altogether.

I'm wondering how this is going to play on a station like WITI-TV, Tribune's Milwaukee FOX affiliate, which has a reasonably competitive newscast followed by TMZ, which flows well into FOX prime-time programming. I don't see them wanting to give up either for a program foisted upon them by Tribune. Frankly, I don't see a good slot for this on WITI at all... even the 10:35 pm slot has a surprisingly well rated "Seinfeld" syndicated broadcast. Maybe 11:05 pm?

Will this be the first show of Tribune's influence on stations like WITI - will they be *forced* to carry it at 6:00 or 6:30, like it or not?

I live on the East Coast, but Central Time fascinates me. Your whole outlook on primetime is totally different than ours... plus, I bet the late local news has a lot more viewership being at 10pm versus 11pm. 11 is awfully late for someone who has to get up to get kids ready for school/get ready for work.

WDJT doesn't air a 6:00 newscast because Jeopardy's ratings are always way ahead of whoever's in first place for 6:00 news programming. In May, WISN's 6PM won the news race with a 5.6 rating while Jeopardy was just under two points ahead at 7.5. WITI was in last place with a 4.5. It would be a gamble (this entire show is a gamble as it is) but it could pay for WITI to can the 6PM news and compete directly with Jeopardy for the people who don't want to watch the news at 6PM.

I live on the East Coast, but Central Time fascinates me. Your whole outlook on primetime is totally different than ours... plus, I bet the late local news has a lot more viewership being at 10pm versus 11pm. 11 is awfully late for someone who has to get up to get kids ready for school/get ready for work.

Just the at the time of the nightly news it airs at 5:30 PM central time (and on many stations on pacific time as well) where they do a quick half hour broadcast, then there's the nightly news and then one hour to primetime. Ideally I would want them to do local news for a full hour leading up to primetime.

WDJT doesn't air a 6:00 newscast because Jeopardy's ratings are always way ahead of whoever's in first place for 6:00 news programming.

True, although if WDJT attempted a 6:00 newscast, they'd be absolutely trounced.

Not a joke.

And if this is confirmed, Geoff Peterson - and much of the current "Late Late" staff - will be along for the ride.

Interesting to see if WJW runs the show runs at 7:30pm instead in place of "Big Bang," or if they sacrifice their 7pm newscast.

Cool. Although, I worry how much will translate to an earlier time slot.

I'm skeptical how this would work in central/mountain time too. We don't have a duopoly partner. We've had a 6:00 p.m. newscast for decades and it has won several rating periods in the last few years.

My guess it will be cleared "mostly" in access with an option to clear it in late night after local news. Craig's Late Late Show predecessor Craig Kilborn tried the same thing a few years ago, testing an access period talk show. "The Kilborn File" was only tested on two CT/MT stations and they ran it in late night. The ET/PT test stations ran it in access or fringe. So, using that as a guide I'd suspect that you'd either dump/move WOF at 6:30pm or possibly get an option to run it in late night. I don't see how this can get wide enough clearance without the option for late night (at least in CT/MT.)

• 4 months later...

Not happening after all, thanks to Sinclair: http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/82070/no-go-for-craig-ferguson-syndicated-talker

It looks as if Craig Ferguson will not be resuming his talk show career in broadcast syndication, according to industry sources.

Tribune Media has been trying to find other stations groups to clear a new Ferguson show in prime access and help bear its considerable cost.

Tribune was counting heavily on the Sinclair Broadcast Group to pick up the show, but the sources say the Baltimore-based mega-group has decided to take a pass.

At least Celebrity Name Game was renewed. However, in my market its timeslot was downgraded away from prime access.

Archived