CBS affiliation moving to Tribune's WTTV

The Frog

Obviously you haven't seen how KSTP and KSTC in Minneapolis handle it.

The digital signal of KSTP contains one subchannel, while that of KSTC contains five. Through the use of virtual channels, KSTC's subchannels are associated with channel 5.

5.1 KSTP-TV ABC

5.2 KSTC-TV independent

5.3 Me-TV

5.4 Antenna TV

5.6 This TV

5.7 Live Well Network

5.1's real channel number is 35.1 and is the only one with that number. The rest are all subchannels of PSIP 45.

BTW, the KSTP/KSTC arrangement is messy. Don't know what's wrong with 5.1 for KSTP and 45.1-45.5 for the others...

I think their reasoning is that they want to prioritize ABC HD programming so they don't have to compress their HD signal. 5.2 an HD feed of Independent digital KSTC channel 45.2 but virtual channel 5.2. Virtual channels 5.3-7 are SD.

Fox NY duopolies kind of do a similar operation but this time the Fox affiliate WNYW is simulcasts an SD feed of MyNetwork affiliate WWOR, likewise WWOR carry an SD feed of WNYW. Fox's logic was that way they could assure that viewers could receive both stations in the event that they could not receive the second. Their logic makes sense until you realize that both stations broadcast from the Empire State Building and god forbid something happened their where the signal was lost they would have no backup but if they had two separate towers their actions would be reasonable.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The outcome of this series of events is simple. Pony up the dough, or CBS is going to walk to someone else who will pay more. Unlike the Nexstar and Fox situation back in 2011, this was an isolated incident.

However, the prospect of Gray balking at CBS wanting more money does put CBS in the position to "trade up" if the contract is up and the existing station is outbid. However, since Gray is one of the larger CBS affiliate groups (and at one time was) CBS may have a large problem on their hands if Gray won't agree to their new terms.

The prospect of Sinclair/ABC and Media General/CBS having a lot of stations up for renewal soon and in the same market could be interesting, but I'll leave it at that before delving into speculatron territory....

What happens to all the people that work at WISH TV news when CBS moves to WTTV?

They will likely stay on should WISH pursue the same strategy WJXT did when it lost CBS, and actually expand on their news offerings.

Will LIN/Media General do well with an independent WISH? Belo and Post-Newsweek/Graham were/are, unlike Young, actual competent station operators devoid of delusions of grandeur, and Media General will - if the merger goes through - be under LIN's management...

WISH will be scrambling to fill hours of now network programming as well as cope with the loss of most Indianapolis Colts games

Because of the timing I really thing it would be wise for networks to try to switch affiliates in September prior to the new seasons starting up so home viewer won't be confused by changing of stations mid season. The reason why I state this is simply the number of people who time shift viewing will have to manually reset their season passes on their DVRs (or maybe it's just my TiVo and Comcast box where the series are linked to a channel) considering CBS has been pushing for Live + 7 day ratings which could cause a dip locally.

The second reason why I think they should switch in September (ideally they should be notified of the change a year before the switch) is because that is when the new syndication seasons / deals start. Just CBS giving WISH a little over three and a half months was a screwy move because they will be scrambling to fill 13.5 hours during the week days (I'm including one and a half hours of Up To The Minute / CBS Morning News - but they could easily rerun syndicated fair overnight). As you stated they will be struggling to find quality programs and usually some series cannot be replayed more than a certain amount of time in the day.

This was just a screwball move by them when LIN was negotiating in good faith. It's not like LIN called off negotiations over so,etching trivial.

Because of the timing I really thing it would be wise for networks to try to switch affiliates in September prior to the new seasons starting up so home viewer won't be confused by changing of stations mid season. The reason why I state this is simply the number of people who time shift viewing will have to manually reset their season passes on their DVRs (or maybe it's just my TiVo and Comcast box where the series are linked to a channel) considering CBS has been pushing for Live + 7 day ratings which could cause a dip locally.

The second reason why I think they should switch in September (ideally they should be notified of the change a year before the switch) is because that is when the new syndication seasons / deals start. Just CBS giving WISH a little over three and a half months was a screwy move because they will be scrambling to fill 13.5 hours during the week days (I'm including one and a half hours of Up To The Minute / CBS Morning News - but they could easily rerun syndicated fair overnight). As you stated they will be struggling to find quality programs and usually some series cannot be replayed more than a certain amount of time in the day.

This was just a screwball move by them when LIN was negotiating in good faith. It's not like LIN called off negotiations over so,etching trivial.

That may be ideal, but there's three words describing why WISH won't make the switch early: NFL on CBS .

Granted its not going to be WSVN V.2 but WISH still will hold the remaining cards and will milk out all the money they can with them being the home of the Colts until 1 January 2015. If the COLTS make the playoffs, than this is easily going to help WTTV with a higher profile if they do get a CBS playoff game but that will play out over the NFL season.

It would be interesting to see the books in Indy post change (Feburary possibly)

Yep, this isn't WCCB losing Fox who didn't have to worry about replacing any programming on weekdays since they switched to CW. And they actually gained the Bill Cunningham show. Even if they had not picked up CW and gone indy again you're only talking about filling 2 hours per weekday. But going from CBS to indy in less than 5 months is crazy!

LIN has some good markets, but scanning the list of stations it looks like Indy was their largest market.

Portland is a slightly bigger market than Indianapolis (#22 vs #26).

As I mentioned in Speculatron 9000, KOIN is an LIN CBS affiliate, and KRCW is a Tribune CW affiliate. Hmm...

I'm still shaking my head at the thought of WISH running reruns of Andy Griffith and reinstating the 3:00 movie. WISH as an independent? It is really bizzare.

LIN has some good markets, but scanning the list of stations it looks like Indy was their largest market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIN_Media

Wasn't there always this battle of WISH vs WAVY one of these stations was Lin's company flagship station? Nobody really knew which station was the flagship and they both became the flagship in ppl eyes.?

Portland is a slightly bigger market than Indianapolis (#22 vs #26).

As I mentioned in Speculatron 9000, KOIN is an LIN CBS affiliate, and KRCW is a Tribune CW affiliate. Hmm...

Also with FOX wanting getting KTVU wasn't there talk that FOX wanted an O&O in Seattle? Cox owns KIRO and Tribune owns KCPQ? Could FOX buy Cox out for KIRO and CBS move over to KCPQ?

Also with FOX wanting getting KTVU wasn't there talk that FOX wanted an O&O in Seattle? Cox owns KIRO and Tribune owns KCPQ? Could FOX buy Cox out for KIRO and CBS move over to KCPQ?

It wasn't just talk, it was even mentioned in an article in the Chicago Tribune that some circles had word of a proposed trade of KCPQ for WPWR.

Wasn't there always this battle of WISH vs WAVY one of these stations was Lin's company flagship station? Nobody really knew which station was the flagship and they both became the flagship in ppl eyes.?

More likely that CBS would move to KSTW-11, which is owned by CBS, and the CW would end up on KCPQ.

It wasn't just talk, it was even mentioned in an article in the Chicago Tribune that some circles had word of a proposed trade of KCPQ for WPWR.

Or KSTW for WPWR? That way CBS could have a duopoly in Chicago.

CBS tried that 20 years ago. It didn't work. In fact it was such a flop in the ratings that CBS decided to return to KIRO.

Right. But the situation was different back then. In the situation mentioned above, the poster is speculating that FOX buys KIRO. CBS would be forced to find a new affiliate in this situation. KCPQ or KSTW? Wouldn't you rather have it on your own station?

I think it's more likely that Fox would trade KRIV/KTXH to Tribune for KCPQ/KJZO.

CBS tried that 20 years ago. It didn't work. In fact it was such a flop in the ratings that CBS decided to return to KIRO.

Mostly wrong. CBS returning to KIRO was caused by Gaylord selling KSTW to Cox and then a mess of mergers and ownership swaps between Cox, Belo, and Viacom/Paramount Stations Group. KSTW getting the CBS affiliation was part of the deal when Gaylord agreed to take on the CBS affiliation on KTVT in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Archived