CBS affiliation moving to Tribune's WTTV

The Frog

I know this might be semi- off topic, I just wonder out of all the MG stations that are CBS affiliates.. which are up for renewal ??? and should they be concerned at all that if they dont renew..CBS could take their ball elsewhere???

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's Media General's information from their 2013 annual report... The dates at the end are their affiliation expiration dates, the CBS stations are in red

San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose, CA 6 KRON MyNetworkTV 5 2 9/30/2014

Tampa - St. Petersburg - Sarasota, FL 14 WFLA NBC 3 6 12/31/2015

Raleigh - Durham, NC 24 WNCN NBC 4 4 12/31/2015

Nashville, TN 29 WKRN ABC 3 9 8/31/2015

Columbus, OH 32 WCMH NBC 3 9 12/31/2015

Greenville-Spartanburg, SC, Asheville, NC 37 WSPA CBS 1 11 6/30/2015

Greenville-Spartanburg, SC, Asheville, NC 37 WYCW CW 6 2 9/17/2016

Birmingham, AL 44 WVTM NBC 4 4 12/31/2015

Providence, RI - New Bedford, MA 53 WJAR NBC 1 11 12/31/2015

Richmond - Petersburg, VA 57 WRIC ABC 3 10 8/31/2015

Albany - Schenectady - Troy, NY 58 WTEN ABC 3 12 8/31/2015

Albany - Schenectady - Troy, NY 58 WXXA (2) FOX 4 5 12/31/2017

Mobile, AL - Pensacola, FL 59 WKRG CBS 1 14 4/2/2015

Knoxville, TN 61 WATE ABC 3 6 8/31/2015

Roanoke - Lynchburg, VA 66 WSLS NBC 3 7 12/31/2015

Green Bay - Appleton, WI 70 WBAY ABC 1 16 8/31/2015

Savannah, GA 92 WSAV NBC 2 11 12/31/2015

Jackson, MS 94 WJTV CBS 2 14 12/31/2014

Charleston, SC 95 WCBD NBC 2 11 12/31/2015

Tri-Cities, TN/VA 97 WJHL CBS 2 12 12/31/2014

Greenville - New Bern, NC 99 WNCT CBS 3 11 12/31/2014

Davenport, IA - Rock Island - Moline, IL 100 KWQC NBC 1 19 1/1/2015

Myrtle Beach - Florence, SC 102 WBTW CBS 1 17 6/30/2015

Sioux Falls, SD 111 KELO CBS 1 25 4/2/2015

Augusta, GA - Aiken, SC 112 WJBF (3) ABC 2 14 6/30/2014

Lansing, MI 115 WLNS CBS 2 15 9/30/2017

Lansing, MI 115 WLAJ (2) ABC 3 8 12/31/2015

Lafayette, LA 122 KLFY CBS 1 20 9/30/2017

Columbus, GA 126 WRBL CBS 2 12 3/31/2015

Hattiesburg - Laurel, MS 167 WHLT CBS 2 9 8/31/2015

Rapid City, SD 173 KCLO CBS 2 10 4/2/2015

A LOT of their stations either have their agreements expire at the end of this year, or sometime next year. Lafayette and Lansing are locked in until 2017.

Sinclair's ABC affiliations are up in 2015 as well. This could be interesting for Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville and Mobile/Pensacola should Sinclair make a play for CBS. Media General could be vulnerable if they don't defend these affiliations to the end and be willing to pay for them.

I am seriously wondering what is up with all those different dates. KELO, WLNS, KLFY and KCLO all came from Young, but they have different dates too. You'd think that those groups would ensure that all these stations had affiliation contracts that ended at the same time.

You would figure that the stations would be a group deal.

In Terre Haute... WTHI's agreement with CBS is also expiring on 12/31... The same date as WTWO's NBC contract. If LIN is truly in trouble with CBS... there's a possible switch there.

You would figure that the stations would be a group deal.

In Terre Haute... WTHI's agreement with CBS is also expiring on 12/31... The same date as WTWO's NBC contract. If LIN is truly in trouble with CBS... there's a possible switch there.

At least WTHI has a backup plan if that does happen (Fox is currently on 10.2).

Absolutely... I worked for the station for a while. The shakeup is what that station's management at THI needs. FWIW supposedly the renegitation contract for the company with CBS **WAS** going well then the anvil was dropped.

Here's Media General's information from their 2013 annual report... The dates at the end are their affiliation expiration dates, the CBS stations are in red

San Francisco - Oakland - San Jose, CA 6 KRON MyNetworkTV 5 2 9/30/2014

Tampa - St. Petersburg - Sarasota, FL 14 WFLA NBC 3 6 12/31/2015

Raleigh - Durham, NC 24 WNCN NBC 4 4 12/31/2015

Nashville, TN 29 WKRN ABC 3 9 8/31/2015

Columbus, OH 32 WCMH NBC 3 9 12/31/2015

Greenville-Spartanburg, SC, Asheville, NC 37 WSPA CBS 1 11 6/30/2015

Greenville-Spartanburg, SC, Asheville, NC 37 WYCW CW 6 2 9/17/2016

Birmingham, AL 44 WVTM NBC 4 4 12/31/2015

Providence, RI - New Bedford, MA 53 WJAR NBC 1 11 12/31/2015

Richmond - Petersburg, VA 57 WRIC ABC 3 10 8/31/2015

Albany - Schenectady - Troy, NY 58 WTEN ABC 3 12 8/31/2015

Albany - Schenectady - Troy, NY 58 WXXA (2) FOX 4 5 12/31/2017

Mobile, AL - Pensacola, FL 59 WKRG CBS 1 14 4/2/2015

Knoxville, TN 61 WATE ABC 3 6 8/31/2015

Roanoke - Lynchburg, VA 66 WSLS NBC 3 7 12/31/2015

Green Bay - Appleton, WI 70 WBAY ABC 1 16 8/31/2015

Savannah, GA 92 WSAV NBC 2 11 12/31/2015

Jackson, MS 94 WJTV CBS 2 14 12/31/2014

Charleston, SC 95 WCBD NBC 2 11 12/31/2015

Tri-Cities, TN/VA 97 WJHL CBS 2 12 12/31/2014

Greenville - New Bern, NC 99 WNCT CBS 3 11 12/31/2014

Davenport, IA - Rock Island - Moline, IL 100 KWQC NBC 1 19 1/1/2015

Myrtle Beach - Florence, SC 102 WBTW CBS 1 17 6/30/2015

Sioux Falls, SD 111 KELO CBS 1 25 4/2/2015

Augusta, GA - Aiken, SC 112 WJBF (3) ABC 2 14 6/30/2014

Lansing, MI 115 WLNS CBS 2 15 9/30/2017

Lansing, MI 115 WLAJ (2) ABC 3 8 12/31/2015

Lafayette, LA 122 KLFY CBS 1 20 9/30/2017

Columbus, GA 126 WRBL CBS 2 12 3/31/2015

Hattiesburg - Laurel, MS 167 WHLT CBS 2 9 8/31/2015

Rapid City, SD 173 KCLO CBS 2 10 4/2/2015

A LOT of their stations either have their agreements expire at the end of this year, or sometime next year. Lafayette and Lansing are locked in until 2017.

Sinclair's ABC affiliations are up in 2015 as well. This could be interesting for Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville and Mobile/Pensacola should Sinclair make a play for CBS. Media General could be vulnerable if they don't defend these affiliations to the end and be willing to pay for them.

Would CBS leave for KMOV for KDNL if Sinclair offers enough in retrans comp?

Further research shows that FOX's affiliation doesn't end with WXIN until June of 2016, and WTTV's contract with The CW doesn't end until 2017. WRTV's contract with ABC was signed as five year deal in 2010 - so it ends next year.. WTHR's deal with NBC was signed in 2004 as a 14 year deal ending in 2018.

I would think that Meredith would do all they can to retain CBS on KMOV. If that would mean committing to CBS on WSMV in the process, then things start to get really interesting... (and Speculatron fodder)

Real question:

Would CBS leave KMOV for KPLR if Tribune offers enough in retrans comp?

Well, does CBS still hold some sentimental value towards KMOV, it being a former O&O that Laurence Tisch sold off after fending off a Ted Turner takeover?

(Although CBS almost built KPLR from the ground up as KMOX-TV... before buying KWK-TV, and selling the channel 11 license to Harold Koplar. Oddly enough, after WCBS, that would have been the only other O&O CBS ever built and signed on.)

Anyone see Tribune using this kind of configuration:

WTTV

4.1 CBS 1080i

4.2 CW 480i

WTTK

29.1 CW 1080i

29.2 CBS 480i

Not gonna happen. As I have said, WTTV/WTTK is one station with two transmitters. There's a setup like this in Roanoke/Lynchburg VA with WFXR and WWCW, but those are two separate stations with the same owner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFXR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWCW

The most likely scenario would be CBS in 1080i on 4.1/29.1 and CW in 720p on 4.2/29.2.

Either way, ABC 4 St. Louis has a ring to it, non?

With Sinclair's heavy push into news, it's only a matter of time before they restart their news department. That should be enough to satisfy ABC. Sinclair owns too many stations important to ABC to piss Sinclair off.

WTTV

4.1 CBS 1080i

4.2 CW 480i

WTTK

29.1 CW 1080i

29.2 CBS 480i

Does WTTK use virtual channel 4? To do so, they have to carry the same programming. If you split up the channels, they will have to use their assigned virtual channel.

Does WTTK use virtual channel 4? To do so, they have to carry the same programming. If you split up the channels, they will have to use their assigned virtual channel.

According to RabbitEars, WTTK uses virtual channel 29.

Still, WTTK is effectively a repeater for WTTV and HAS to run the same programming.

WTTV

4.1 CBS 1080i

4.2 CW 480i

WTTK

29.1 CW 1080i

29.2 CBS 480i

Still, WTTK is effectively a repeater for WTTV and HAS to run the same programming.

Even if they use that configuration they'll still running the same programming. I think that would be smart of Tribune.

Once WTTV gets into the top 4 (which is inevitable....could WRTV become the 5th ranked station?) AND Tribune decides to sell (which won't happen). THEN a buyer couldn't get both WXIN and WTTV because of their rankings in the market. The fact that the CW is on a subchannel is irrelevant in the eyes of the FCC. (and would hold little weight otherwise).

This is why Clear Channel was able to snatch up CBS to put on WTEV, then a low-ranked UPN station that was easy duopoly bait. CBS raised WTEV's ranking to the point when Clear Channel cashed out, Newport had to license out WTEV to High Plains, and then Cox had to license out WTEV to Bayshore Television.

Same can be said for WRAZ in Raleigh. Sinclair botched the FOX affiliation for WLFL, leading them to sign with WRAZ when it was easy duopoly bait.

Well, remember that Tribune had to reassign the licenses to Angelo, Gordon & Co./Oaktree/JPMorganChase consortium that acquired majority interest in Tribune when the company exited bankruptcy. Any future transaction in which Tribune remains together, but the three investment firms relinquish ownership in the company to its employees or someone else could result in WTTV having to be sold if WXIN and WTTV/WTTK both ended up being among the four highest-rated stations in the ratings and the company had to do a similar license reassignment.

If Tribune's claim that WXIN and WTTV will maintain separate news departments holds water, it would make it easier when separating the two stations. Also, if it happens while the FCC continues scrutinizing JSA/SSA/LMAs (or even goes as far as considering applying the dual network rule to ownership of stations), an LMA might be harder for it to form. Although other than the WTKR/WGNT and WNEP situations, Tribune usually doesn't do many operational agreements (not to say they wouldn't, but whatever ones they had were few and far between).

I think RabbitEars only shows the assigned virtual channel number. For example, WGCT-CD is a religious station here on virtual and RF 8. It shows up as virtual 8 at the FCC and RabbitEars, but since it is a repeater of a station in Marion, Ohio, they use their virtual channel 39.

Even if they use that configuration they'll still running the same programming. I think that would be smart of Tribune.

Interesting. I wonder if the rules on this are written loosely enough for them to exploit some kind of a loophole.

Tribune can do this fair and square, since they already own the stations, and WTTV's current market share falls below to where they could have been snatched up by Tribune if they weren't already owned by them.

Once WTTV gets into the top 4 (which is inevitable....could WRTV become the 5th ranked station?) AND Tribune decides to sell (which won't happen). THEN a buyer couldn't get both WXIN and WTTV because of their rankings in the market. The fact that the CW is on a subchannel is irrelevant in the eyes of the FCC. (and would hold little weight otherwise).

This is why Clear Channel was able to snatch up CBS to put on WTEV, then a low-ranked UPN station that was easy duopoly bait. CBS raised WTEV's ranking to the point when Clear Channel cashed out, Newport had to license out WTEV to High Plains, and then Cox had to license out WTEV to Bayshore Television.

Same can be said for WRAZ in Raleigh. Sinclair botched the FOX affiliation for WLFL, leading them to sign with WRAZ when it was easy duopoly bait.

And don't forget what happened in Honolulu where Raycom ended up with both CBS AND NBC by swapping intellectual property and call letters.

Where are you guys finding all of this information about stations' affiliation contracts and when they're set to expire and stuff?

1. The Online FCC public file at stations.fcc.gov. Enter the calls of the station you would like to search. Then click on the "ownership reports" tab and then the "contracts and additional documents" tab.

2. Most Public companies will have them listed in their annual reports and/or 10-K's

3. Google search.

For the public companies, the affiliation expiration dates are often in their annual reports, although LIN's doesn't have them, just the license expiration dates. Some affiliation agreements are also available at the FCC's public file database.

They are there. Scroll a few more pages down. ;)

Further research shows that FOX's affiliation doesn't end with WXIN until June of 2016, and WTTV's contract with The CW doesn't end until 2017. WRTV's contract with ABC was signed as five year deal in 2010 - so it ends next year.. WTHR's deal with NBC was signed in 2004 as a 14 year deal ending in 2018.

A couple of clarifications.
  • WTTV's (along with the rest of Tribune's CW affiliates) affiliation agreements expire August 31, 2016.
  • WXIN's (along with the rest of Tribune's "legacy" FOX affiliates*) affiliation agreements expire June 30, 2016.
  • All of Tribune's old "Local TV,LLC" Fox affiliates have their affiliation agreements expire on July 14, 2018.
  • All of Scripps' "legacy" ABC affiliates have their affiliation agreements expire on January 31, 2015.
  • WRTV's (along with the rest of Scripps' old "McGraw-Hill ABC affiliates) affiliation agreements expire 4Q 2014...I can't find the exact date though.

*I can't find the current end date of KSWB's affiliation agreement. The public file lists the expiration date as July 31, 2013. So, I'm going to assume it was quietly renewed. Whether it's a long-term deal or an short-term deal to bring it in line with the other deals IDK as I can't find any info.

Real question:

Would CBS leave KMOV for KPLR if Tribune offers enough in retrans comp?

Guys, this deal in Indy doesn't mean we are on the verge of out and out bidding wars for affiliations. Nor, is Tribune (or any other group) circling like a vulture waiting to pick up a "prized" affiliation. If Lin would have agreed to CBS' demands and ponied up the cash we wouldn't be here discussing this switch. Lin fucked up and overplayed their hand. CBS got sick of waiting on Lin to cave in. Tribune was in the right place at the right time. IMO, I think it's likely CBS offered up Indy to Tribune due to the impasse with Lin.

So, if KMOV, KNDL or whomever agree to their respective networks demands at renewal time there won't be any need for CBS or ABC to switch.

WTTV

4.1 CBS 1080i

4.2 CW 480i

WTTK

29.1 CW 1080i

29.2 CBS 480i

I was going to post this last night but, deleted it at the last minute. I self-edited myself for two reasons. First, I didn't want to derail the thread and thought it might do that. Second, I wanted to review adjacent stations for PSIP conflicts. Since we are down the road anyway here is was I was going to write as I saved it to my notepad...

I'm surprised Tribune isn't planning on "cross-mapping" WTTV/WTTK. It would give the "allusion" of The CW being on it's own channel removing some of the stigma for being relegated to a "subchannel" even though it technically would still be a "subchannel" of WTTV/WTTK. Plus, it has the added benefit of CBS being on "Channel 4" OTA in the entire market and The CW being on "Channel 29" OTA in the entire market.

If I were in charge of things that's what I'd do and, here's how I'd do it:

• WTTV: "Primary Stream" CBS 4.1 (RF 48.1) and "Subchannel" The CW 29.2 (RF 48.2)
  • WTTK: "Primary Stream" CBS 4.2 (RF 29.2) and "Subchannel" The CW 29.1 (RF 29.1)
  • Both WTTV and WTTK would be running both The CW and CBS in 1080i with VBR.
  • And, for completeness This TV would move to WXIN on 59.3 with VBR.

So, viewers in the far northern portions of the market that can only receive WTTK would only see 4.2 (CBS) and 29.1 (The CW). And, viewers in the far southern areas that can only receive WTTV would only see 4.1 (CBS) and 29.2 (The CW). Viewers in the central overlap areas that can receive both WTTV & WTTK would see 4.1 & 4.2 (CBS) and 29.1 & 29.2 (The CW). So, no matter where you are located in the market CBS and The CW are both available in HD via OTA. And, no matter where you are located in the market CBS is always on "Channel 4" via OTA and The CW is always on "Channel 29" via OTA.

Now, before someone calls me a hypocrite and gets on my case due to me chastising others about the rules surrounding PISP and Virtual Channel numbers this is allowed. There are two minor exceptions within the PSIP standard that would allow for this to happen. First, a licensee may include programming "originating" from another licensee. In this instance the VC of the "original broadcast" may be used provided that it doesn't create a PSIP conflict major/minor channel numbers or with a neighboring/adjacent market station. Second, commonly owned stations with overlapping contours are allowed to map under a common VC number provided that it doesn't create a PSIP conflict with a neighboring/adjacent market station. So, provided there isn't a "Channel 4" in an adjacent northern market that would overlap signals with WTTK or a "Channel 29" in an adjacent southern market that would overlap signals with WTTV then Tribune could realistically do this. There are plenty of examples of stations that due this. The only down side would be that The CW wouldn't be able to demand "must-carry" as it isn't the primary stream on it's own channel...there is just the allusion to the average viewer it is. Or, they could just say to hell with it and make WTTK the CW affiliate outright while still maintainting the simulcast between the two channels. This would allow them the ability to use "must carry" for WTTK if need be. But, they wouldn't opt for "must carry" and would negotiate for carriage with MVPD's anyway...so, that's really a moot point.

All that said I fully expect Tribune to due the following:

• WTTV: "Primary Stream" CBS 4.1 (RF 48.1) and "Subchannel" The CW 4.2 (RF 48.2)
  • WTTK: "Primary Stream" CBS 29.1 (RF 29.1) and "Subchannel" The CW 29.2 (RF 29.2)

Tribune has the opportunity to due something creative due within the scope of the PSIP rules (provided there aren't any PSIP conflicts.) And, due to the unique situation of Tribune having a third station in the market a result of the "satellite station" waiver they have for WTV/WTTK. Unfortunately, I don't see Tribune using the plan I presented.

I'm surprised Tribune isn't planning on "cross-mapping" WTTV/WTTK. It would give the "allusion" of The CW being on it's own channel removing some of the stigma for being relegated to a "subchannel" even though it technically would still be a "subchannel" of WTTV/WTTK. Plus, it has the added benefit of CBS being on "Channel 4" OTA in the entire market and The CW being on "Channel 29" OTA in the entire market.

If I were in charge of things that's what I'd do and, here's how I'd do it:

• WTTV: "Primary Stream" CBS 4.1 (RF 48.1) and "Subchannel" The CW 29.2 (RF 48.2)
  • WTTK: "Primary Stream" CBS 4.2 (RF 29.2) and "Subchannel" The CW 29.1 (RF 29.1)
  • Both WTTV and WTTK would be running both The CW and CBS in 1080i with VBR.
  • And, for completeness This TV would move to WXIN on 59.3 with VBR.

I didn't know you could cross-map. If that's the case, then I agree with everything except using the ".2". If I remember correctly, WOIO's translator and main signal are both 19-1's. I would make both of them 4.1 and you can grab whichever 4.1 comes in the best.

I didn't know you could cross-map. If that's the case, then I agree with everything except using the ".2". If I remember correctly, WOIO's translator and main signal are both 19-1's. I would make both of them 4.1 and you can grab whichever 4.1 comes in the best.

Obviously you haven't seen how KSTP and KSTC in Minneapolis handle it.

The digital signal of KSTP contains one subchannel, while that of KSTC contains five. Through the use of virtual channels, KSTC's subchannels are associated with channel 5.

5.1 KSTP-TV ABC

5.2 KSTC-TV independent

5.3 Me-TV

5.4 Antenna TV

5.6 This TV

5.7 Live Well Network

5.1's real channel number is 35.1 and is the only one with that number. The rest are all subchannels of PSIP 45.

BTW, the KSTP/KSTC arrangement is messy. Don't know what's wrong with 5.1 for KSTP and 45.1-45.5 for the others...

Archived