CBS affiliation moving to Tribune's WTTV

The Frog

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty obvious that if you own a CBS affiliate in an AFC market, and your affiliation agreement renewal is coming up, get ready for a shakedown. Lin/Media General better watch their back in Buffalo.

Where else would they go in Buffalo though? WUTV/WMYO is pretty much their only other option in that market.

Alright, ready set, go.

This happened because of retrans fees.

So what happens now? COMING SOON: CBS4 Indianapolis

Tribune takes the CBS affiliate and all its bells and whistles (COLTS GAMES!!!!, March Madness/Final 4, CBS programming)

(From @aishahhasnie - Anchor at WXIN) - All of the CBS programming goes to WTTV. That means we will build another news team and some newscasts will rival with Fox.

(From @aishahhasnie - Anchor at WXIN) - Both the Fox and CBS affiliate will be housed in the same building on the NW side of Indy. We are adding onto our current home.

(From @aishahhasnie - Anchor at WXIN) - Let the hiring and expanding begin! :D Come Jan 1st, this market will be SO different.

WISH will be independent for a while. All contracts are set for sometime. CW will go to WTTV 4.2

I'm honestly shocked CBS didn't try to buy WTTV outright, and it wouldn't surprise me if, down the road, WTTV/WXIN become a CBS O&O duopoly, with FOX looking for a new home. (Maybe on WISH?)

As for what happens with WXIN's news vs. WTTV, I doubt given how much they've poured into FOX 59 that Trib would just shift everything over and leave just 7-10A and 10PM--especially since it's my understanding WXIN rates OK all things considered. They JUST started an 11PM news, too. But maybe you'll see an arrangement like KWGN/KDVR, where it's separate brands but essentially the same news team at different times.

I'm honestly shocked CBS didn't try to buy WTTV outright, and it wouldn't surprise me if, down the road, WTTV/WXIN become a CBS O&O duopoly, with FOX looking for a new home. (Maybe on WISH?)

As for what happens with WXIN's news vs. WTTV, I doubt given how much they've poured into FOX 59 that Trib would just shift everything over and leave just 7-10A and 10PM--especially since it's my understanding WXIN rates OK all things considered. They JUST started an 11PM news, too. But maybe you'll see an arrangement like KWGN/KDVR, where it's separate brands but essentially the same news team at different times.

I have a feeling that WTTV and WXIN will try to format its newscast differently depending on audience. WTTV will be more of a traditional newscast befitting is CBS afffiliation and WXIN could format its newscast to be hip and edgy a la Fox.

CBS has no interest in owning a TV station in Indianapolis. Besides, they don't need to when they can simply extract a sizeable piece of change from someone else.

UPDATE FROM THE INDIANAPOLIS BUSINESS JOURNAL:

A source familiar with WTTV’s preliminary plans said the station will have its own newscasts separate from its local sister station, WXIN-TV Channel 59, which is affiliated with Fox Broadcasting.

“It will be its own news; nothing will be re-purposed from WXIN,” the source said. “The specifics are still being worked out.”

Though WTTV’s plans are still being formulated, the source familiar with the station’s discussions said the station will hire its own local TV personalities and not rely on WXIN’s on-air talent.

Wow - that's a sign that New Tribune wants to play with the big boys now. (Look at the adjective. Play. Sorry, couldn't resist.) And it says volumes about its feelings about the CW, I think.

I think it's shocking they're going to build a newscast from the ground up. The easiest way to do this would be to join the WTTV and WXIN news teams under a joint brand like "Indy News Now". I wonder if it's a CBS requirement, though.

CBS has no interest in owning a TV station in Indianapolis. Besides, they don't need to when they can simply extract a sizeable piece of change from someone else.

Sure they do--unless you think they're getting more out of the retrans agreement. Why have a middleman for the revenue stream when Colts games can bring in big bucks directly?

Another thing I'm reading is that for all intents and purposes, the current WTTV (including ALL syndicated programming) will be moving to the .2 and that the main "WTTV" will be an entirely new station.

As of 12:23 PM CT, there is no mention of the affiliation switch on WISH's website. Does anyone know if they've mentioned it on-air? I'm guessing LIN hasn't decided yet on how to spin losing CBS in Indy.

No mention anywhere. On air or Online. They probably don't know what the hell to do. This is huge for them right now.

Besides the reverse comp issue, this move makes no sense for anybody, at least in my view. CBS loses out on a strong news brand. WISH loses its network and to get another one either is impossible (ABC) or would continue making seismic waves (NBC).

Get ready for a whole new meaning to "24 Hour News 8". They'll pull the 10pm from WNDY, and I wouldn't be surprised if they look at KTVK or WJXT to see how they do things.

I remember reading in a earlier post that LIN does not promote CBS in their station brandings at all, and If you look at all of the LIN Media stations they seem to downplay their respective networks but especially their CBS stations. I will use WIAT-TV in Birmingham as an example, when they were owned by NewVision they were known as CBS 42 now owned by LIN they became WIAT 42 and you really don't see the CBS branding at all except for network programming now. I will say this, I know that WIAT-TV prepares all year for their money maker season know as SEC Football and with the state of Alabama loving their football and WIAT 42 being the #1 station for SEC on CBS things could also get interesting in Sweet Home Alabama, but I will chalk that up to speculation for now.

As for Indiana it is interesting to me that LIN Media owns a chunk of CBS stations in Indiana, with WLFI-TV in Lafayette, and WTHI-TV in Terre Haute, and WANE-TV in Fort Wane. So why strip WISH-TV when LIN has a good strong hold of CBS stations in the state already...... I guess because money is a powerful thing and everyone is out to make a buck in todays media world.

I wish everyone at WISH-TV the best, I know it was probably like a hammer dropped at the station when they found out but I feel like they will be OK as an Indy in Indy.

Something just occurred to me; how will this affect LIN's WLFI Lafayette?

While WLFI is a standalone station in what is effectively its own DMA (with Indianapolis covering the rest of the affiliations), who knows if CBS has also screwed over that station as well.

No mention anywhere. On air or Online. They probably don't know what the hell to do. This is huge for them right now.

WCCB didn't either when the announcement was made that they were losing Fox (to WJZY) but at least their GM made a statement right away.

Archived