CBS affiliation moving to Tribune's WTTV

The Frog

I have to agree; it all looks amazing. I'd say it's the best graphics package in the market, and the set is up there with WTHR's new set.

I noticed that there seems to be a very noticeable echo in the studio. I don't know if everyone's talking loud, the set, bad audio production, or the studio itself. Hoosier Lotto doesn't go back far enough on their drawings to test this.

Anyway, I was watching the noon cast with my parents. My mom said it's weird because it feels like we're watching a newscast from another city, and I have to agree. The switch is probably going to feel weird for at least a few weeks, possibly months. For some people, it might always feel weird.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This open reminds me of the new KTLA promo and tease graphics that have been talked about here, with animations, shapes, and colors that very closely match that. Additionally, BOTH stations are owned by Tribune... so I wonder if KTLA might go with their iteration of this graphic design soon... maybe for the debut of their new 3pm?

This open reminds me of the new KTLA promo and tease graphics that have been talked about here, with animations, shapes, and colors that very closely match that. Additionally, BOTH stations are owned by Tribune... so I wonder if KTLA might go with their iteration of this graphic design soon... maybe for the debut of their new 3pm?

In addition to what Weeters said, it does seem like a tri-cross between Scripps, CBS O&O's and KTLA. Although truthfully, I'm not the biggest fan of weather graphics, especially the 7 day. Something about just feels too...big and amateurish.

Guest NewsHound

Maybe it's just be but I'm really bothered by the kearning and weight changes of "The Weather Authority" logo. I mean call me a font snob, I admit I am, but it seriously bothers me.

Overall, the graphics are very powerful, but in some areas they are inconsistent from other areas. For instance, the lower 3rds are rather plain compared to the full screens, and the weather graphics are just kind of off.

The set is very nice for being in such a small studio.

In addition to what Weeters said, it does seem like a tri-cross between Scripps, CBS O&O's and KTLA. Although truthfully, I'm not the biggest fan of weather graphics, especially the 7 day. Something about just feels too...big and amateurish.

The graphics were designed so large so they could be seen on the monitor. The reason they are using the monitor is because the studio is too small to fit a green screen.

These are probably some of the nicest local station graphics in the industry right now. The open is fantastic. The fullscreen stuff looks like the Scripps package and the CBS O&O package got in bed with each other and had a child.

Their 3x3 monitor wall is actually calibrated correctly so colors show up right on-camera. WITI still can't figure out how to do this. Bonus points for WTTV.

I actually was watching the CBS Evening News today and they had a weather segment with WBZ, and their monitor looked washed-out. An O&O station that is broadcasting weather for a national news program has a worse looking setup than a one that is not either of those.

Granted, the bezels on WTTV's monitor wall are kinda annoying, but other than that it looks like a green screen to me. That just shows how well they calibrated it.

I'm noticing that there is no V/O for the opening of the newscast ("Live from Indianapolis, this is CBS4 Morning News," etc,) not sure if this was on purpose or what

Not sure when it started but they're starting to use a V/O for their newscast intros as well as their cut-aways to commercial. I can't figure out who it is though, it's someone I haven't heard before.

You can check out the stream to see if any of you guys are able to figure it out.

I did some digging. Where I live I also get WISE-33 out of Fort Wayne and WTTV's V/O guy sounds like WISE's. According to Southermedia-NMSA the V/O for WISE is Steve Stone. So I'm leaning in that direction but I could be wrong.

Isn't it more expensive for Tribune to maintain two separate news operations? Why not merge the two or compete in different day parts? Is it union contracts or do they just want to take WISH out of the news business and grab their share?

I wonder what the protocol will be for breaking news stories especially when the stations are sharing Bob Donaldson and some reporters. I also have to give it to Tribune, they truly have WISH a sucker punch by taking away their Colts preseason games.

Isn't it more expensive for Tribune to maintain two separate news operations? Why not merge the two or compete in different day parts? Is it union contracts or do they just want to take WISH out of the news business and grab their share?

I wonder what the protocol will be for breaking news stories especially when the stations are sharing Bob Donaldson and some reporters. I also have to give it to Tribune, they truly have WISH a sucker punch by taking away their Colts preseason games.

I do not know why they do not simulcast newscasts but I'd venture a guess that it was required by CBS. I've read in CBS's past affiliation agreements that a station has to notify the network if they stop producing the majority of their newscasts content which would likely result in the termination of the contract. I would think a duopoly situation would be exempt but I'd guess that since the station is affiliated with Fox, a competitor, CBS didn't want to dilute their news brand. I'm guessing the people at CBS didn't want a simulcasted newscast airing on CBS to use a Fox NewsEdge package to be tagged out Fox News or having a CBS package mistaken for Fox.

It's also worth to note that the big three networks require stations are required to at a bare minimum program 1/2 hour of newscasts before the national morning news program, evening news and late night programming. Tribune could have gone this route to start out and once they bring in some bigger ratings they could expand their programming, instead they jumped in the deep end.

I did some digging. Where I live I also get WISE-33 out of Fort Wayne and WTTV's V/O guy sounds like WISE's. According to Southermedia-NMSA the V/O for WISE is Steve Stone. So I'm leaning in that direction but I could be wrong.

That's what I was thinking too but wasn't 100% sure. For some reason it still sounds a tad different than Steve Stone but still incredibly similar. If that's the case, this would be the second CBS 4 Steve Stone does the V/O for (the other one is WFOR).

I doubt it has so much to do with CBS affiliation requirements so much as it's relatively inexpensive content that can be duplicated easily. The news content that's already being produced for one channel can be easily repurposed for another, which amounts to more ad slots that can be sold. While the ratings are still marginal for the duplicate newscast, they're probably higher than whatever syndicated or paid programming that they might air instead. This is exactly the same setup that has been going on at sister Tribune stations KDVR and KWGN for several years now, only it's more severe at WXIN and WTTV as they also compete in the early and late evenings. It's not a great strategy in terms of producing good or distinct content, but it's a great financial strategy if you can duplicate your newscast on another channel and still get ratings that amount to anything above hashmarks.

I wonder what they'll do when there's severe weather and both stations want to do extended coverage. Will they have separate coverage with multiple on-location reporters covering the same areas? Share all reporters to provide as much geographical coverage as possible? Go all the way and do a simulcast?

I wonder what they'll do when there's severe weather and both stations want to do extended coverage. Will they have separate coverage with multiple on-location reporters covering the same areas? Share all reporters to provide as much geographical coverage as possible? Go all the way and do a simulcast?

If they go by the KDVR/KWGN rulebook (which, so far, they're not far off), it will most likely be the second scenario with delicate rundown planning. In this situation, KDVR might go live to a reporter in the field for 1.5-2 minutes while KWGN would do a studio weather report with a KWGN meteorologist, then the reporter will spin the mic flag and do the same report for KWGN while KDVR would go to their meteorologist. Their producers must go crazy trying to plan who gets which reporter at which time and what to fill the newscast with while they're doing a live report for the other station, but somehow, it works. This is actually pretty much what they do for all four hours of their respective morning shows everyday — they trade off two different rundowns about every 30 minutes, often with even the same exact wording in the scripts but with different talent in a different studio and a different bug in the corner of the screen. Outside of newscast times, usually it seems to just be KDVR that would break in with extended coverage, but either way, it's attack of the clones. I suppose WXIN and WTTV could simulcast, but my guess is that they go the KDVR/KWGN route most of the time.

If they go by the KDVR/KWGN rulebook (which, so far, they're not far off), it will most likely be the second scenario with delicate rundown planning. In this situation, KDVR might go live to a reporter in the field for 1.5-2 minutes while KWGN would do a studio weather report with a KWGN meteorologist, then the reporter will spin the mic flag and do the same report for KWGN while KDVR would go to their meteorologist. Their producers must go crazy trying to plan who gets which reporter at which time and what to fill the newscast with while they're doing a live report for the other station, but somehow, it works. This is actually pretty much what they do for all four hours of their respective morning shows everyday — they trade off two different rundowns about every 30 minutes, often with even the same exact wording in the scripts but with different talent in a different studio and a different bug in the corner of the screen. Outside of newscast times, usually it seems to just be KDVR that would break in with extended coverage, but either way, it's attack of the clones. I suppose WXIN and WTTV could simulcast, but my guess is that they go the KDVR/KWGN route most of the time.

The KTVI/KPLR duopoly here in St. Louis works the exact same way. Except here, there aren't any newscasts that compete with each other.

Some observations - Reports in the last few weeks were that Jessica Hayes from WISH-TV had accepted a position as the Weekend anchor, but this past week it was someone else. Possible Non-Compete issues?

Also, CBS 4 Morning News, I believe, has an actual traffic reporter yet the morning meteorologist is doing doubly duty?

Finally, noticing a lot of crossover from FOX59 reporters still. It was suggested that CBS4 would have its own field of reporters separate from FOX59 (by Bob Donaldson.) Any thoughts?

Finally, noticing a lot of crossover from FOX59 reporters still. It was suggested that CBS4 would have its own field of reporters separate from FOX59 (by Bob Donaldson.) Any thoughts?

Separate newscasts doesn't equal separate newsrooms.

They are running WTTV/WXIN like the other Tribune duopolies. The field reporters (/photogs) are shared. They maintain one combined newsroom. The only thing that's separate are the anchor teams (and producers) allowing each station's newscast to have it's own look and feel.

The only report I saw that even insinuated that they would be totally separate was an IBJ report early on. Either they themselves or their unnamed source were misinformed or misunderstood the information given to them.

Since we have some TVNT'ers in Indy there are couple things I'm kind of curious about. First, was their any real promotion about "the switch" (ads, billboards, etc)? From afar it seems to me that most of the information was left to be disseminated by the local media and, there wasn't a real campaign to educate viewers. Second, does WTTV-DT2 have any branding, imaging, or logo, etc?

I feel bad for WISH-TV because they have been a voice in their community, but with the merger of Lin/Media General I wonder how things will pan out.

I do hope they can persevere, and continue to put out a polished product. I don't know about them being a CW, but I hope they snatch the FOX affiliation away from WXIN for payback.

I notice at the closing credits of their newscast, they still say Lin Corporation copyright. Does anybody know what the deal with that? Now with WTTV/CBS 4 being the new affiliate they block out on sports if you watch it live on the computer, but now WISH can air sports content live on the net. Did that have anything to do with being a CBS affiliate?

I notice at the closing credits of their newscast, they still say Lin Corporation copyright. Does anybody know what the deal with that?

MG has gone the Gannett route of not changing copyrights. The Young stations still have Young copyrights, for example.

MG has gone the Gannett route of not changing copyrights. The Young stations still have Young copyrights, for example.

Of course what is being referred to here is the license holder name. Sometimes it is done to keep a respective trademark active.

Archived