CBS affiliation moving to Tribune's WTTV

The Frog

Well it looks like WTTV is starting the new year by airing the celebrations from downtown Indianapolis. It looks like they're having a countdown and they're dropping an IndyCar instead of a ball.

Also taking a look at the schedule, it looks like they'll air the Late Show and the Late Late Show shortly after midnight which would be the first CBS programs to air under the new affiliation.

http://indianas4.com/2014/12/22/indianapolis-new-years-eve-celebration-to-feature-indycar-drop-instead-of-ball-drop/

http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCSGrid.do?aid=twttv

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well 1 day to go well can anyone record the switch or will be flash cut like ctv two in canda 2011

They're airing the countdown from downtown Indianapolis at Midnight and then Late Show with David Letterman. I imagine they'll probably mention the switch during their coverage at Midnight. Not sure if anyone will catch it because I'm not sure if anyone will be in Indy to catch it.

On a side note, cbs4indy.com redirect's to WTTV's current webpage and it looks like they'll be streaming their newscasts via Livestream like the rest of the Tribune stations.

They're actually streaming now, but it's password-protected. Guess they're doing a test newscast. Kinda funny how it says "CBS4 News" at the top of the page though.

As for the actual switch, there probably won't really be anything to see. I guess WTTV will replace the Indiana's 4 logo with the CBS4 logo at midnight, and mention the switch before going into a delayed Letterman repeat at 12:15, but there won't be a flash cut there. And WISH is airing a special in place of the 25 minutes of Letterman they are contractually allowed to show, so there won't be a flash cut there either.

I've been looking at Facebook comments and it's actually kinda funny. People thinking 4 bought 8, people complaining about both 4 and 8 having a bad signal, people confused about whether CW programming is moving to 4.2 or WISH and whether they even get 4.2, people not sure if Dish will automatically record WTTV or WISH for their Primetime Anytime thing. Some of these complaints are fair complaints though. For example, WTTV's signal is poor north of the Indy tower farm, which is why WTTK exists. Tribune should honestly somehow switch the cities of license (WTTV would be using the tower farm while WTTK WTTB would use the tower in Trafalgar) and increase the power in Indy so 4 has better coverage. WISH may get overridden by WIIH (the translator for WISH) on some TVs/boxes/media center programs due to both stations sharing a virtual channel number. The CW confusion is legitimized by the fact that it was originally supposed to be on 4.2. I don't know how Dish's setup works so that may be fine. But people thinking "channel 4 bought channel 8"? I don't know where people got that from, but I guess maybe some people think everyone has the same channels nationwide or something.

Here's another piece to the puzzle: Media General has signed long-term agreements for The CW on sixteen stations. Springfield, Mass. will be launching The CW on a sub-channel.

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/813-wwlp-tv-to-launch-the-cw-network-on-subchannel.html

This might deserve it's own thread and has somewhat flown under the radar. But, it looks like The CW might be renewing affiliates beyond that initial ten year agreement period extending past 2016. Gray also recently renewed their deals with The CW as well.

What's wrong with the CW, other than the fact that their programming is likely out of your demographic? They've outrated Fox and ABC's primetime offerings many times this season.

There is nothing wrong with The CW's programming. I just don't understand the logic of PAYING (your competitor none the less) for the privilege of paying The CW for their programming. If they had picked up the affiliation that's on thing but, they bought the damn thing off the competition. Unless they somehow fleeced Tribune I don't see how doing that is fiscally responsible.

I'm still utterly dumbfounded at this deal. On one hand, you hope that Tribune got bags and bags of cash in order for that to be truly "financially accretive." But if that was the case, Vincent Sadusky doesn't deserve to keep his job.

Agreed. I am curious to see who got the short end of the stick. I'll be checking out their 10-K's to see if either points out the amount.

I haven't been able to point this out yet and it's kind of a moot point now. But, WTTV-DT2 went up in testing on DirecTV a little over a week ago. While it is not guaranteed that a station in test will launch most do. It also shows they were at least planning to carry the channel. And, to the best of my knowledge it's still up in test. This furthers my opinion that Tribune pointing out "carriage issues" due to being on a subchannel in the press release was nothing more than a red herring. Not that I expect them to at this point but, I'm going have a chuckle if DirecTV (or, any other MVPD) launches WTTV-DT2 on their system(s.).

The weird thing is that I've never seen the WISH logo next to a CBS logo, but now WISH is pairing it and the CW logo in all their promos.

Meanwhile, Tribune seems to shy away from CW branding but loves their stations look like O&Os for FOX affiliates, and possibly CBS affiliates now as well.

Initial thoughts. Small studio when they show the overhead view! IndyStar says this is where they were doing the Hoosier Lottery drawings (btw, pics of new studio in link.) It's okay, I honestly don't like the "rocky/stone" wall that some stations have been using. I would have preferred a flatter wooden or marble panel looking wall. http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/01/01/wttv-cbs-wish-cw-affiliate-knox-wright-indianapolis-colts-moonves/21129519/

Lindsay Riley (met) and Marianne Lyles are doing an outstanding job in my opinion and seem both engaging and professional! Definitely great choices. Tim Doty is decent but seems like he's a little nervous or needs a little coffee lol. Seems to be a little laid back or reserved in his presentation style compared to his on-air colleagues. He's decent tho, as I say.

The graphics are nice. I'm noticing that there is no V/O for the opening of the newscast ("Live from Indianapolis, this is CBS4 Morning News," etc,) not sure if this was on purpose or what. Interestingly, whenever they show full screen info graphics with bullet point info it reminds me a lot of RTV6's similar full screen graphics.

They are showing a new reporter (and I honestly didn't see too much of her) but also using Fox59's Michael Henrich and Lindy Thackston for live reports this morning (so far.)

These are probably some of the nicest local station graphics in the industry right now. The open is fantastic. The fullscreen stuff looks like the Scripps package and the CBS O&O package got in bed with each other and had a child.

Their 3x3 monitor wall is actually calibrated correctly so colors show up right on-camera. WITI still can't figure out how to do this. Bonus points for WTTV.

Archived