CBS affiliation moving to Tribune's WTTV

The Frog

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously the fact that MG already has a multi-million dollar white elephant in KRON played a role in this panic move with WISH.

I would have tried to build some sort of a movie package for primetime, assuming any still exist, and just run with that instead.

Tribune still gets the better end of the deal, no matter how you slice it.

Well, I expect WISH to drop down to 5th place by May sweeps. Like Myron Falwell said, WISH could've did a weeknight movie and maybe even had a "Dialing For Dollars"-like contest during the movie, only with a social media aspect. Epic fail on Media General's part.

Syndication is expensive, but I would rather pay for that instead of two hours of CW.

What's wrong with the CW, other than the fact that their programming is likely out of your demographic? They've outrated Fox and ABC's primetime offerings many times this season.

Here's another piece to the puzzle: Media General has signed long-term agreements for The CW on sixteen stations. Springfield, Mass. will be launching The CW on a sub-channel.

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/813-wwlp-tv-to-launch-the-cw-network-on-subchannel.html

Haha they got the Greenville NC and SC stations backwards.

Wow. So I wonder what WTTV is going to do with 4.2 now and all that syndie programming? The CW does make sense on WISH though.

I would be surprised if Tribune ultimately doesn't sell some of that surplus programming inventory to WISH.

I don't know who would want to watch a likely old, low-rate movie on an independent broadcast TV channel with commercial breaks when there's Netflix. That doesn't seem like a winning content strategy.

It depends on how it's executed. In the not-too-distant future, (okay, back in late 1988) a small Minneapolis UHFer went with a puppet robot show superimposed on top of their B-movie showings. It turned out to be one of the greatest cult TV hits of all time... MST3K.

Put the right content in as a wraparound in-between a movie showing (like the aforementioned social networking / "Dialing for Dollars" idea) and people will still watch.

The fact of the matter is everyone was fine with the current plan (ie: CW on a subchannel, dual HD, etc.) until very recently. They were perfectly content carrying out that plan until MG showed up with what I can only guess was a nice some of money. I really hope for Tribune's sake it was a nice sum as they essentially sold off the "third station" in a potential "triopoly."

And, I am still amazed someone PAID money for a CW affiliation and one that lasts only 20 more months at that. I mean think about for a second. I think that right there tells you MG was feeling desperate (for whatever reason) and made a last ditch effort. I guess the thought of running the equivalent of a two independent station duopoly in Indy was too much to swallow.

Personally at this time I still question the wisdom and judgement of this deal on both sides.

I'm still utterly dumbfounded at this deal. On one hand, you hope that Tribune got bags and bags of cash in order for that to be truly "financially accretive." But if that was the case, Vincent Sadusky doesn't deserve to keep his job.

I don't know who would want to watch a likely old, low-rate movie on an independent broadcast TV channel with commercial breaks when there's Netflix. That doesn't seem like a winning content strategy.

This.

Does anyone ever watch movies with commercial breaks anymore?

I don't know if they can yet, at least on air. There is a PSA kinda thing they made available online but as far as on-air, it sounds like they couldn't yet until Jan 1st. It sounded like Bob Donaldson can't even say the words "CBS4" until January 1st per the interview link I posted up.

Here's the YouTube PSA...

The Steelers win tonight means the first NFL game on WTTV as a CBS affiliate will involve the Colts, next Sunday at 1:05 against the Bengals. Great news for channel 4!

It was going to already regardless of who won last night; the Colts are the 4 seed. But you're right, it is great for WTTV.

It was going to already regardless of who won last night; the Colts are the 4 seed. But you're right, it is great for WTTV.

The way they announced it at halftime was that if the steelers had lost (therefore making them the 5 seed), they would have played the colts in the 8pm Saturday NBC game.

Even better news for WTTV: they and WXIN will have the Colts preseason rights from 2015, stealing them from WISH. The deal also includes the official coaches' shows and such and branding opportunities at Lucas Oil Stadium.

So basically outside of NBC Sunday Night Football, Tribune will broadcast every other bit of Colts content available via WTTV/WXIN. That's a very enviable position to be in.

So basically outside of NBC Sunday Night Football, Tribune will broadcast every other bit of Colts content available via WTTV/WXIN. That's a very enviable position to be in.

I don't know if they'd carry any Monday Night games/non-CBS Thursday Night games either, as that does not always go to the local rightsholder.

Archived