New CNN Bug, Ticker, Lower Thirds

C Block

CNN Domestic debuted new graphics today at the beginning of Early Start. They're all flat and either red, white, black, or gray. All the text is in Gotham. One of the best features of these graphics, however, is the death of the gizmo. Instead, the show's title appears in a simple gray box to the right of the ticker beneath the bug and clock.

I think it looks nice, and it follows all the trends of lots of other graphics out there now. My only complaints are that they seem a little too large compared to what they replaced, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by that, and the Early Start graphics seem to clash with these. I like what I see, but I will forever hold

as the gold standard not only for CNN, but for any graphics package anywhere.

I don't have any pictures, but I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of them throughout today.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had been listening to CNN just before going to bed while on my computer. I hadn't turned around to look at the TV for a while and then I saw on here they had new graphics! I turned around and was quite shocked. Freaky!

Anyways, I really liked the old L3s as they were basic but customizable with color to match each show. Looking at the new elements themselves, it is an interesting look. It's definitely brash and in your face.

So far with Early Start, I'm not liking them. I don't think the red, white, and black match at all with Early Start's graphics package, and I don't think they will with most of CNN's shows. The flat look also doesn't mesh well with the remaining old graphics. I guess we'll see later today if the L3 changes colors at all or if shows get total makeovers as well.

CNNI does not have new graphics yet, though I would guess that they are probably 6-8 weeks behind and will get something similar around then. That seems to be their lag time whenever they've shared the same graphics with CNN Domestic.

I like it, but there really is no reason why each program can't be color coordinated with the existing graphics. It would give some customization, even if it worked off of a common template.

Change the font to DIN and this would make a great refresh for CBC News Network....

Something about it bugs me; I still think that the package CNN had before the 16:9 graphics would have been a better design to work from rather than using every recent cliché in the book. It needs more color, and maybe a rundown squeezed above the ticker.

Why is the hot thing to be "flat" now? First it was iOS7, then Android 4.3 jumped on the "flat" bandwagon, then Windows 8, etc. I don't understand it, I feel like it's a step backwards!

I don't like this at all. The old font says "This is CNN" way more than this one.

Why is the hot thing to be "flat" now? First it was iOS7, then Android 4.3 jumped on the "flat" bandwagon, then Windows 8, etc. I don't understand it, I feel like it's a step backwards!

I don't like this at all. The old font says "This is CNN" way more than this one.

And yet the way the look is organized like the old CNN graphics from last decade. These are way less then those but that's what I thought of. I watched about 5 minutes, fell sorry for poor CNN and turned the channel. It's unwatchable nowadays. These also resemble what WLS is using now to me, but only vauguely.

The gizmos are gone (well, mostly)! That right there is an immediate improvement. Otherwise, I don't like the mishmash of graphics CNN is using (i.e. old Early Start graphics with new L3s,) and I still don't approve of their staff, schedule, and their programming.

Until they fix the network itself and not just the on-air look, I won't be watching CNN Domestic.

(Oh, and one more little nugget: no CNN Domestic programs originate from Atlanta anymore. It's not the end for CNN Center, as CNN International, CNN En Espanol, and various other CNN newsgathering organizations still use the building.)

(Oh, and one more little nugget: no CNN Domestic programs originate from Atlanta anymore. It's not the end for CNN Center, as CNN International, CNN En Espanol, and various other CNN newsgathering organizations still use the building.)

I think weekends might come from there? Also, Sanjay Gupta MD is still going to be coming from Atlanta.

The gizmos are gone (well, mostly)! That right there is an immediate improvement. Otherwise, I don't like the mishmash of graphics CNN is using (i.e. old Early Start graphics with new L3s,) and I still don't approve of their staff, schedule, and their programming.

Until they fix the network itself and not just the on-air look, I won't be watching CNN Domestic.

where does CNN originate?

CNN's graphics are set for 1080p I guess. My CRT 720p has the edges cropped out, wouldn't they be better off making L3s for 720p because it might look better when its downcoverted for the SD audience?

Your TV is likely overscanning the image. Dig through the settings and turn that off.

I'm currently watching on a small SD CRT TV, for the most part everything fits fine, except there's "Reaking News" that "Obin Williams" died and I can learn more on "n.com"

Strangely everything on the right side fits perfectly.

where does CNN originate?

All domestic programming (New Day, CNN (U.S.) Newsroom, The Situation Room, AC360, etc.) now originates from either New York or Washington.

Now, a few days back, CNN Newsroom was broadcast from New York but they used a video shot of the CNN Center studios, making it appear as if the program was broadcast from Atlanta.

Yep. Jeff Zucker ruined CNN and until Time Warner/Turner gets the common sense to toss him out, I won't be watching the US version of CNN anytime soon.

All domestic programming (New Day, CNN (U.S.) Newsroom, The Situation Room, AC360, etc.) now originates from either New York or Washington.

Now, a few days back, CNN Newsroom was broadcast from New York but they used a video shot of the CNN Center studios, making it appear as if the program was broadcast from Atlanta.

when did this occur? Makes no sense as CNN is well known to be based in Atlanta and other programming in their other studios .

Is the studio lights out forever? Do I have to thank Jeffery Zucker for this?

Your TV is likely overscanning the image. Dig through the settings and turn that off.

I'm currently watching on a small SD CRT TV, for the most part everything fits fine, except there's "Reaking News" that "Obin Williams" died and I can learn more on "n.com"

Strangely everything on the right side fits perfectly.

I don't know how to do it without making the picture worse, because whether I turn one setting off, it cancels out between my Comcast box. The LG set I have I've has a neat feature, a "Set by Program" where the set will change the aspect depending on what signal comes in and probably what the PSIP spits out ( this was more relevant back when I used to have the cable go straight thru the set.) I haven't tho, seen that option in their flat panel sets.

EDIT: Checked the box, its a 1080i, played with the HD Zoom button... guess I gotta lobby for a 1080i/p flat panel...

Archived