WABC graphcis leak? Have these even been used before in promos?

NYNewsCoverage

Was just looking at renderon, and I came across this.

http://www.renderon.com/#/wabc/

Has this package been used before in promos, or is this a sign of new graphics to come?

Even if this isn't a graphics leak (knowing WABC, I have a feeling they won't put these in soon or ever), I feel that we can still use this thread to talk about other things regarding WABC's graphics and such.

EDIT: just realized Scott Clark was in one of the photos. Maybe this was created a long time ago, and was never used? I know I've seen SOME of these photos before in promos, but not all.

Even if they don't get new graphics.. Which those are cool. I think they should update their backdrops to look more realistic. Get rid of the blue shadow they have over it for most of them and leave it regular. The one they use for the morning is nice but the one they first used was nicer. They should even try a live camera.

Was just looking at renderon, and I came across this.

http://www.renderon.com/#/wabc/

Has this package been used before in promos, or is this a sign of new graphics to come?

Even if this isn't a graphics leak (knowing WABC, I have a feeling they won't put these in soon or ever), I feel that we can still use this thread to talk about other things regarding WABC's graphics and such.

EDIT: just realized Scott Clark was in one of the photos. Maybe this was created a long time ago, and was never used? I know I've seen SOME of these photos before in promos, but not all.

These were used ages ago, if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure they were discussed somewhere on here. I think WABC just commissioned Renderon for promo work because Giant Octopus is a shell of it's former self (Thanks, FX Group!) and the people who left GO seem to have gone underground. I don't think there was any other work done (Unlike the rumored work Renderon did for WBBM for their "Heart of Chicago" campaign.)

Now, if WABC was happy with the work, there's a chance that Renderon would get the contract for their next graphics package, but that would be pure speculation.

These were used ages ago, if I recall correctly. I'm pretty sure they were discussed somewhere on here. I think WABC just commissioned Renderon for promo work because Giant Octopus is a shell of it's former self (Thanks, FX Group!) and the people who left GO seem to have gone underground. I don't think there was any other work done (Unlike the rumored work Renderon did for WBBM for their "Heart of Chicago" campaign.)

Now, if WABC was happy with the work, there's a chance that Renderon would get the contract for their next graphics package, but that would be pure speculation.

Oh, this makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

Those are clearly station idents. But it makes me wonder why in the US we don't have indents like the UK uses or vice versa?

Here's an example of idents used by the BBC over the last 60 years:

[yt]UZk9-KGZ32Q[/yt]

But I'm guessing the reason why the UK doesn't use US style idents is that BBC and ITV's individual regions (probably equivalent to 2-3 DMA/ in the US) only produce a small amount of local programming a week - if I was being generous I would say maybe 15 hours total. Perhaps another reason would have to do with how stations get local programming on the air: normally the network feeds each individual transmitter and when it's time for an "opt out" (literally meaning opting out of network programming) for local news they have to send the live video via fiber back to headquarters which splices the feed to the right transmitters for each region.

Even if they don't get new graphics.. Which those are cool. I think they should update their backdrops to look more realistic. Get rid of the blue shadow they have over it for most of them and leave it regular. The one they use for the morning is nice but the one they first used was nicer. They should even try a live camera.

You mean this lovely one? http://www.imagebam.com/image/b01180151985211

Agreed.

It should also be worth noting that those graphics are at least 5 years old because the station ID at the bottom lists WABC-TV/DT.

Most stations here in Baltimore dropped the -DT tag immediately like (WBAL) or with in a week (WMAR, WBFF, WNUV and WUTB) after the digital transition but oddly enough for the top of the hour ID logo for WJZ to this day lists it as WJZ-TV/WJZ-DT/Baltimore.

Update: Never mind the WABC indents that included the -DT suffix on the FX/Giant Octopus website which I viewed last night.

Update #2: I can't seem to find that one video that had -DT. I think it was on Vimeo.

Those are clearly station idents. But it makes me wonder why in the US we don't have indents like the UK uses or vice versa?

[yt]UZk9-KGZ32Q[/yt]

But I'm guessing the reason why the UK doesn't use US style idents is that BBC and ITV's individual regions (probably equivalent to 2-3 DMA/ in the US) only produce a small amount of local programming a week - if I was being generous I would say maybe 15 hours total. Perhaps another reason would have to do with how stations get local programming on the air: normally the network feeds each individual transmitter and when it's time for an "opt out" (literally meaning opting out of network programming) for local news they have to send the live video via fiber back to headquarters which splices the feed to the right transmitters for each region.

what works across the pond works across the pond. No other country outside of US/Can/Mexico doesn't use call signs too. I think that would have a lot to do with it.

[yt]UZk9-KGZ32Q[/yt]

what works across the pond works across the pond. No other country outside of US/Can/Mexico doesn't use call signs too. I think that would have a lot to do with it.

Remember, the US has got to be one of the only, if not only, country that requires stations identify themselves by call letters and city of license at the top of the hour.

Remember, the US has got to be one of the only, if not only, country that requires stations identify themselves by call letters and city of license at the top of the hour.

I believe the FCC had some wackos a few years ago that proposed eliminating the TOTH for the stations.

Thankfully that didn't go through!

GO - wasn't that the 2008 package?

that talent reel I bet was within the last 3/4 years. It matches the current look. Unless this was used just before the switch.

I believe the FCC had some wackos a few years ago that proposed eliminating the TOTH for the stations.

If that happened the United States would become the next Canada. We don't want another broken identification system like Canada's.

If that happened the United States would become the next Canada. We don't want another broken identification system like Canada's.

I actually couldn't care less. Average viewer doesn't call the station by their calls and I think only us ,the FCC and the people who work in the business use the calls, unless it's a heritage station who drills the calls in. Especially in radio, those stations go by branding and not calls.

And I don't understand the point of a city of license. A station can be "licensed to serve" Newark but they're really a New York station. Bigger population.

And I'm curious how you think Canada's system is broken. I'm sure the regular viewer calls CFTO, CTV, or channel 9, or even 8 after their cable position. Or in New York they call WCBS "Channel 2", CBS 2, or simply CBS.

And I'm curious how you think Canada's system is broken. I'm sure the regular viewer calls CFTO, CTV, or channel 9, or even 8 after their cable position. Or in New York they call WCBS "Channel 2", CBS 2, or simply CBS.

I didn't say how Canada's system as a whole is broken, although it does have major holes in them. It's the identification process for television stations in Canada. (I shouldn't say in a way it's exactly broken but's it's very confusing.)

Right now, stations hardly use their callsigns minus independent stations. Before, CTV had a mandate where their O&O's must be called by callsign. It was fine. Even if it was a channel number. One day, after several years of publicizing callsigns and channel numbers as brandings, all of that suddenly disappears and replaced with awful generic names.

Problem is, it's doesn't apply to every station. CTS uses callsigns and city of licenses so frequently it's like you're watching an low powered American station - it's unreal. Omni stations like CHNM uses call sign and city of licences for all of the short idents they produce. And then there's the independents, CHCH, CHEK, CJON, etc.

Canadian stations are trying to diminish call signs and channel numbers from people's heads, others are trying to embrace it. I personally call my own CTV station as CFTO. Few of my friends call it CTV. Others calls it by Channel 9. Outsiders call it CTV Toronto. Years and years of branding, major stations still can't make a solid point. I just don't get it.

(Apologies for going off topic.)

• 1 month later...

Archived