NFL Preseason 2014

Viper550

Yes, except for the CBS, FOX, NBC & ESPN telecasts, the rights to the preseason games are held by the teams themselves. The CBS, FOX, NBC & ESPN preseason games are exclusive national telecasts. So, outside of those aforementioned exclusive national games the individual teams hold the rights to the remainder of their preaseason games. They are responsible for production & distribution. Teams produce the games "in-house" either solely, in partnership with a local station, RSN, production company or outsource the production altogether. They then license the games in a "syndication-like" fashion. Some teams like license the games to only a few entities others will have several affiliates. For Example, The Vikings have several affiliates including stations in Omaha (KETV) and Tulsa (KTUL) this year. And, KFVE "affiliates" with a several teams picking up a ton of preseason games. OTOH, The Saints rely almost exclusively on CST for distribution with few OTA affiliates.

Also, The live NFLN preseason games are non-inclusive national telecasts...meaning if the game is available locally on a station or RSN in market, NFLN will be blacked-out. And, The NFL Preseason Live online service operates the same way...if the game is available locally on a station or RSN in market you will be blacked-out.

So, In theory if a team wanted to they could string together a bunch of affiliates and obtain national (or, close to it) coverage if they wanted to. And, The NFL's radio rights are very similar in nature to the preseason allowing teams to sell "out-of-market" rights.

FYI- For those interested there is an entire thread over at the506 forums that currently has screengrabs of I believe every teams preseason graphics except the Bills. I didn't feel like jacking 30+ screengrabs...so, I figured I'd just provide a link, hopefully that's cool.

Maybe you should feel like it.... It's registration only to view.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a larger version.

Clearly the Ravens went in the complete opposite direction to denote the red zone with a McCormick spice bottle.

This week they changed the NBC peacock to the Ravens Productions logo but WBAL still has that odd widget type logo that rotates between a helmet and their broadcast team logo finally showing their standard logo. That ticker only was on screen for 30 seconds.

Sorry about the size I uploaded the full size image but it was resized.

10626391_10203526520596271_3861513745851606169_o.jpg

Fox has debuted the new football graphics.

The new 'FOX NFL' logo is on the L3s, but the 'NFL on Fox' box is plastered on the show open/transitions and the broadcast booth backdrop. It's a mess.

Fox has debuted the new football graphics.

The new 'FOX NFL' logo is on the L3s, but the 'NFL on Fox' box is plastered on the show open/transitions and the broadcast booth backdrop. It's a mess.

That score box is a disaster too. Vertical timeout lights leading into a horizontal possession light, and the whole thing is too big.

My thinking goes like this. I think it's MILES ahead of the old model. That old bug had been bastardized so much over the years, that anything would have been an improvement. I like it better than any of the other score boxes of this new package.

Watching The NFL on FOX's new look.

Overall. The new graphics are really clean, simple and sharp.

I've read that comment about it being big. I actually think it is smaller then the old look on some points

I got the image of it (sorry that the image is big and the quality of the stream is not good). http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/13494-new-fox-sports-graphics-for-real-this-time/?p=118039

They're probably saving the new transitions and intro for the start of regular season; but yeah, that scorebox is interesting. Almost reminds me of what they had before they randomly went to that horizontal one.

I'm quite surprised they didn't make it a bar across the bottom or top; it's going to look awkward when they have to start squeezing in long college names on it (ESPN's college football coverage never used the MNF "pod"; guess that foresaw its demise).

As for the Seahawks preseason games: KTBY is the only Alaskan station that airs them, since they're co-owned along with KATN/KYUR/KJUD.

Fairbanks, being the sad sack of a market they are, would have to watch on NFL Network (What? They didn't ask KTVF, KFXF, or K13XD?).

The NFL has now put an end to the legendary Slap Ya Mama Red Zone, as per the new domestic violence polices of the league, and a ban on virtual on-field ads

Oh good grief. I'm glad they're getting rid of the virtual on-field ads because they just clutter up the screen but this is a pretty stupid reason why.

Archived