NFL Preseason 2014

Viper550

Another NFL season means another month of kitschy local football broadcasts.

So, how are your local teams handling things? Is KFMB still using that ancient mashup of ancient CBS graphics? Also, I know a lot of people are going to be curious about how Fox is going to adapt its new look into football; the scoreboard they had for those recent soccer friendlies actually looked pretty nice. Maybe they'll go with something like that...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, how are your local teams handling things? Is KFMB still using that ancient mashup of ancient CBS graphics? Also, I know a lot of people are going to be curious about how Fox is going to adapt its new look into football; the scoreboard they had for those recent soccer friendlies actually looked pretty nice. Maybe they'll go with something like that...

WXYZ has the Lions and then will run a 1 hour Lions pregame show, Ford Lions Report Live at 11am on Sunday during the season. Their graphics resemble those on NFL network. It's a halfway decent product for what its worth.

The Chiefs are using the new CBS package, but with the wide team bars like is used for college football (though only 2/3 letter abbreviations are being used). There's also like a third bar in the row for a sponsor tag, so the whole thing stretches out of the safe area.

WVUE is carrying the Saints game versus the Rams tonight while KTVI is carrying the game in Saint Louis. NFL Network is also carrying the game. My gut tells me the same graphics from last year will be used on WVUE.

Man, Georgia Dome is empty tonight. Anyway, the Falcons are on WUPA this season...and they took the NFL on CBS package and only replaced the scoreboard logo and full-screen graphics with the CW69 logo. The transitions still use the NFL on CBS logo. I would say that it's because of WUPA's CBS ownership, but KPIX isn't using the same package, so...

Also, I've been wondering what Randy Waters has been up to since I last saw him at WXIA!

This is absolutely unacceptable how messed up WFLD's video of the Bears game is. The whole video is pixelated and jumping around like crazy, and it's been this way for the past 10 minutes or so, and it shows no signs of improving.

Who is responsible for putting this production together? Is it WFLD, or is it an outside company? Whoever it is, it's totally unacceptable. The video is completely unwatchable, and it shows no signs of improving, nor has there been any apology from the announcers.

I've never been a fan of the production of the Bears preseason games, but this is a new low for this group.

EDIT: They finally fixed it 15 minutes later after most of the first quarter was completely unwatchable.

The Ravens broadcast locally through WBAL, Comcast SportsNet MidAtlantic used the the NBC Sports graphics. I asked a producer who produced the games broadcast feed and they said it was the Ravens themselves. The only reason why I asked for clarification was that both WBAL and CSN used the Ravens play by play announcers who normally are sportscasters for WBAL-AM/TV. WBAL-AM/TV Sports Director Gerry Sandusky was doing play by play for the stadium, WBAL-AM, WIYY-FM, WBAL-TV, Comcast SportsNet, WJLA and WHTM.

The game was also simulcast on Sinclairs newly acquired WJLA in Washington and WHTM in Harrisburg which makes me wonder if they had their own graphics package or took the game feed with the peacock branding.

They are still using the old package, I caught it when NFL Network started carrying the game and I thought it looked at least 15 years old. The package looked like it was designed for SD 4:3 but they stretched it to fill out the screen. One odd thing I noticed was that when the game started the score bug had this blacked out circular area which looked like KFMB removed the CBS Eye for the NFL Network feed.

WVUE is carrying the Saints game versus the Rams tonight while KTVI is carrying the game in Saint Louis. NFL Network is also carrying the game. My gut tells me the same graphics from last year will be used on WVUE.

Watching the game on KTVI and it still looks like they're outsourcing their production of the game to Altitude (Colorado-based sports network owned by the same man who owns the Rams).

This is absolutely unacceptable how messed up WFLD's video of the Bears game is. The whole video is pixelated and jumping around like crazy, and it's been this way for the past 10 minutes or so, and it shows no signs of improving.

Who is responsible for putting this production together? Is it WFLD, or is it an outside company? Whoever it is, it's totally unacceptable. The video is completely unwatchable, and it shows no signs of improving, nor has there been any apology from the announcers.

I've never been a fan of the production of the Bears preseason games, but this is a new low for this group.

EDIT: They finally fixed it 15 minutes later after most of the first quarter was completely unwatchable.

In the newscast after the game, WFLD apologized for the terrible video issues but made it clear that the Bears operate their own production for the game, and the issue was on that production team's end, not WFLD's.

10601253_10152268398298240_1951431607_n.jpg?oh=83185e5dba94e3f049eb38ab738d7958&oe=53E7D732&__gda__=1407701603_16d5643a2f82b1a7a486434111c6a3e4

You mean this??? .... #FAIL

Well that must of looked really awkward when the peacock ruffled it's feathers when they came back from commercial. Atleast locally WBAL didn't try to "bolt on" their logo next to the Verizon logo like they did in years past rather they chose to put the bug right outside the 4:3 safe zone with a translucent black background shaped like an iPad icon that constantly transitioned between their logo and the ravens logo.

Well that must of looked really awkward when the peacock ruffled it's feathers when they came back from commercial. Atleast locally WBAL didn't try to "bolt on" their logo next to the Verizon logo like they did in years past rather they chose to put the bug right outside the 4:3 safe zone with a translucent black background shaped like an iPad icon that constantly transitioned between their logo and the ravens logo.

Makes me wonder how WJLA did it since they don't have a boxy logo like that to use.

I hope that KDKA isn't STILL using the 2006 CBS Package.

WTAJ simulcasted KDKA. WTAJ used a gray transparent logo, like they have been as of recently for syndicated programs.

KDKA used the new graphics. It looked just like the KCTV picture.

The Packers are once again using their vaguely bootlegged NBC-ish graphics (likely NBC graphics template translated over to Journal's Renderon system, my guess):

Packers_zps4402585c.png

Packers2_zps48d318ab.png

That's still better than what WKRN uses for preseason coverage, which is the old in-house Young package. In fact, the close still reads "Young Broadcasting Nashville" even though they've been owned by Media General for about a year now.

That's still better than what WKRN uses for preseason coverage, which is the old in-house Young package. In fact, the close still reads "Young Broadcasting Nashville" even though they've been owned by Media General for about a year now.

No arguments. About the only thing that makes me think it might be a local version of the NBC Sports graphics is that some of the text in the graphics doesn't line up, something I'd think the "real" package would address. Otherwise, it's a very good presentation.

Apparently the Packers were having camera issues due to the rain, and had to tap into the Titans' cameras.

You'd think they'd be pooling things from the start, given that due to how things are normally handled (the home conference's broadcaster handles all coverage), it is very rare for a football game to have two separate productions for each team, like in other sports.

I saw a picture; the Titans' scoreboard looks like CBS even though your flagship is ABC. That's ... odd.

Archived