Gannett to spin off publishing business, buy rest of Cars.com

mvcg66b3r

About time. Maybe the synergy between USA Today and the stations will finally end, because it's proving to be annoying...

Here's the press release: http://www.gannett.com/article/20140805/PRESSRELEASES2014/140805001/GANNETT-CREATE-TWO-INDUSTRY-LEADING-COMPANIES-SCALE-THROUGH-SPIN-OFF-PUBLISHING-BUSINESS-GANNETT-SHAREHOLDERS

Apparently the newspaper company will keep the Gannett name. This is insane! Gannett spent so much time trying to tie in their stations with USA Today. It's like someone tattooing the name of their spouse on their face, and then getting a divorce.

Perfect analogy. Both companies will probably keep using the name, like Belo continued to, and as Tribune does now.

And, the need for Sander is finally eliminated and once the spinoff is complete Gannett can finally take full control of those stations.

About time. Maybe the synergy between USA Today and the stations will finally end, because it's proving to be annoying...

Perfect analogy. Both companies will probably keep using the name, like Belo continued to, and as Tribune does now.

And, the need for Sander is finally eliminated and once the spinoff is complete Gannett can finally take full control of those stations.

Oops...they shouldn't have razed 1101 N. Central, because KPNX may need new space. Unless they've struck a deal to continue to be news partners with the Arizona Republic.

I wonder if Gannett wants KASW back now???

I think Gannett didn't want to do this but then realized that not only do newspaper assets hold back the growth of a company financially, they can box it out from otherwise desirable new TV markets — and they had to do it to keep up with the Joneses.

Oops...they shouldn't have razed 1101 N. Central, because KPNX may need new space. Unless they've struck a deal to continue to be news partners with the Arizona Republic.

I wonder if Gannett wants KASW back now???

Looks like KPNX is staying at the Arizona Republic builiding if this article is any indication:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2014/08/05/how-gannetts-split-of-broadcast-publishing.html

Gannett's divisions currently share content widely and use a common publishing software application. Its TV stations and local newspapers receive a large chunk of their national news content from USA TODAY. The newspapers also widely use TV stations' videos to accompany print stories. And Martore said in a conference call with analysts Tuesday that Gannett will continue its "cross-platform efforts."

As Gannett restructures, the broadcasting and publishing companies will have to strike new content and shared services agreements. Some corporate functions and Gannett's marketing services offered to local businesses to help them find customers could be included in new agreements. The company's digital products and websites will remain, but details will be worked out in the coming months, Martore said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/08/05/gannett-carscom-deal/13611915/

Looks like the status quo will continue for the short term but new parternships can form down the road.

Or the Multimedia name. Or the Combined Communications name.

Maybe they'll take on the Belo name...

I kid, I kid.... (or am I?)

[insert Station Name Here], a Combined Belo-Multimedia Communications, Inc company.

Yup, sounds logical.

While few companies are buying newspapers, Martore said "there have been attractive newspaper properties" for sale that Gannett might have looked at had it not been constrained by a federal rule that prohibits companies from owning a daily newspaper and a full-power broadcast TV station in the same market.

"We bump into it more often than you'd imagine," she said.

I think the TV unit has also bumped into this situation. Expect Sander to strike a deal to sell the licenses of his stations to Gannett when this is settled.

This leaves only Cox and Hearst as the large TV-newspaper groups, and Hearst has done utterly nothing in all of this craziness for better or worse. This is a massive transformational moment in the industry.

Would Gracia Martore stay with the broadcast side or print? If any Belo, Scripps and Tribune are any indication, I'm guessing she'll stay with the broadcast company.

"Martore will be the CEO of the new broadcasting and digital company, which will be renamed, and both new companies will continue to be based in McLean, Va."

"Martore will be the CEO of the new broadcasting and digital company' date=' [b']which will be renamed[/b], and both new companies will continue to be based in McLean, Va."

So after all the ex-Belo's and ex-London's just got through having to start using the end-of-credits logo and music and "all this comes into your home" (or "the preceding was just baked fresh from our home" or *whatever* it is this week), now they've gotta get used to something else.

So after all the ex-Belo's and ex-London's just got through having to start using the end-of-credits logo and music and "all this comes into your home" (or "the preceding was just baked fresh from our home" or *whatever* it is this week), now they've gotta get used to something else.

I hope they ditch the "It's All Within Reach" slogan.

And well, hopefully this will mean an end to the free advertising for USA Today.

I'm a bit surprised by this. Only because it seems like Gannett really wanted to keep the newspapers in the fold. And, they didn't make a half-assed effort like Tribune did in integrating the newspaper and broadcasting sides of the company. Gannett is in the final stages of rolling out the "presto" CMS to all their properties, broadcast and newspapers. I feel like this was a recent decision based on the marketplace.

While few companies are buying newspapers, Martore said "there have been attractive newspaper properties" for sale that Gannett might have looked at had it not been constrained by a federal rule that prohibits companies from owning a daily newspaper and a full-power broadcast TV station in the same market.

"We bump into it more often than you'd imagine," she said.

I think the TV unit has also bumped into this situation. Expect Sander to strike a deal to sell the licenses of his stations to Gannett when this is settled.

This leaves only Cox and Hearst as the large TV-newspaper groups, and Hearst has done utterly nothing in all of this craziness for better or worse. This is a massive transformational moment in the industry.

I really think Gracia Martore really hit on something I fully expect to happen. I think we are likely to see a few big "print media" behemoths come out of all these spin-offs. She pretty much came right out and said it. These new "print-only" media companies are ripe to merge or be acquired by one another in order to try and achieve some efficiencies and slow the bleeding. They no longer have broadcast (or, other) divisions to help prop them up. I have a feeling that the "new" News Corp and the "new" Gannett will end up owning a massive amount of the nations newspapers/publications within a few years. The sad thing is that I feel that the NBCO rules the FCC currently has in place is driving some of this. I really feel like some of these companies (like Gannett) wouldn't feel forced into jettisoning the newspapers if NBCO was repealed. The whole point of NBCO is/was to avoid consolidation of media voices. But, sadly I think because it's hung around long past it's time we will end up with a great majority of the nations "print" media owned by a couple companies...and unlike TV or radio consolidation there really isn't anyone to stop it.

Heck, why not Pacific and Southern? Or Globetrotter Communications?

I thought the same thing w/ Pacific and Southern, because WXIA ends their newscast with that name. I say Gannett keep Gannett Broadcasting and for the digital arm/newspapers could be G.Interactive Media & Publishings

Why would Gannett dig up long-retired names for either company? Tribune didn't name its publishing spinoff "Times Mirror".

(Knowing Myron, I think he's being sarcastic, though)

If I had a choice, I'd have kept the Gannett name with the profitable broadcast/digital properties. They could have named the publishing side "USA Today Publishing" or something of the like.It just seems to sound like a more reasonable proposition then renaming all of the TV properties.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived