Gannett Company - General Discussion

TexasTVNews

I figured I'd create a Gannett thread rather than keep sticking stuff in the old threads since it's got less and less to do with them as we move away from the Belo/London purchase etc.

This thread is for rational general discussion about Gannett. Please try not to rant.

Remember that you're encouraged to create a new thread for "big" events (i.e. Gannett purchasing another station group).

I really Hope that Wfaa Keeps it tradition alive i was reading that they were giving up In studio Traffic guy He was not the best in the market IMO. But i don't think a Officer With no On Air experince would make the cut for the ratings for them the came in third place gannett need to fix the mornings on wfaa. .

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/0da1395fad2a8ab4c403032cabd6b2a8-3151.html

I really Hope that Wfaa Keeps it tradition alive i was reading that they Dumb there Traffic guy He was not the best in the market IMO. But i don't think a Office With no On Air experince would make the cut for the raring for them.

http://www.unclebarky.com/dfw_files/0da1395fad2a8ab4c403032cabd6b2a8-3151.html

Well if they are going with a cop that may not be such a bad thing. KSAT uses police officers as morning traffic reporters and they took some getting used to with TV but now that they have the hang of it, I actually prefer them over the eye candy on the other stations. I think cops definitely bring a different perspective to the table compared with some young pretty chick that is hired because she looks good and not because of her experience dealing with traffic.

---------------------

OK, so KENS5 just ran a commercial for USA Today. This is going to take some getting used to. I didn't know Gannett was that infatuated with USA Today. I take it their other stations also run ads for the paper?

This particular ad was for their "pop culture columnist" Josh Gad, who comes across as an absolute tool in the ad. Explains why I haven't read USA Today in years. Although their paper is actually much more tolerable and readable than the partisan crap my local Hearst-owned paper prints. If USA Today is liberal, they're certainly not blatant about it...

The commercial I saw aired during "Extra" so that could be why they picked that particular ad. There could very be other ads they have they are placed on air depending on the program airing.

The ads are seamlessly integrated into local commercial breaks and do not mention they're a Gannett company so the average viewer has no idea these are coming from corporate and think USA Today has all of sudden started to buy ad time on TV. But they don't advertise on cable or other local stations.

----------

Do any other Gannett stations air "Right This Minute"? I hardly watch channel 5 but I've been watching it lately only until the get the new graphics. Anyways I was surprised they replaced the longstanding airing of Friends repeats and replaced it with this. The show is so stupid so I'm glad they put it late at night but I can't believe the Deathstar made them dump Friends for this...

Well if they are going with a cop that may not be such a bad thing. KSAT uses police officers as morning traffic reporters and they took some getting used to with TV but now that they have the hang of it, I actually prefer them over the eye candy on the other stations. I think cops definitely bring a different perspective to the table compared with some young pretty chick that is hired because she looks good and not because of her experience dealing with traffic.

---------------------

OK, so KENS5 just ran a commercial for USA Today. This is going to take some getting used to. I didn't know Gannett was that infatuated with USA Today. I take it their other stations also run ads for the paper?

This particular ad was for their "pop culture columnist" Josh Gad, who comes across as an absolute tool in the ad. Explains why I haven't read USA Today in years. Although their paper is actually much more tolerable and readable than the partisan crap my local Hearst-owned paper prints. If USA Today is liberal, they're certainly not blatant about it...

The commercial I saw aired during "Extra" so that could be why they picked that particular ad. There could very be other ads they have they are placed on air depending on the program airing.

The ads are seamlessly integrated into local commercial breaks and do not mention they're a Gannett company so the average viewer has no idea these are coming from corporate and think USA Today has all of sudden started to buy ad time on TV. But they don't advertise on cable or other local stations.

----------

Do any other Gannett stations air "Right This Minute"? I hardly watch channel 5 but I've been watching it lately only until the get the new graphics. Anyways I was surprised they replaced the longstanding airing of Friends repeats and replaced it with this. The show is so stupid so I'm glad they put it late at night but I can't believe the Deathstar made them dump Friends for this...

WVEC's been inundated with the USA Today ads. While I'm sure they are trying to boost readership of the paper, I think it may have more of a reason to subconsciously get people aware of the color scheme. They are also using the Gannett colors to do the anchor ID's. IMO, all in all, it's a way of making the color scheme stand out.

As for RTM, I doubt that Gannett actually made the choice to push that on the station, considering that it's a Cox-Raycom-Scripps produced show. They may have just dumped the Friends repeats, in order to stop paying the syndie fees for it.

WVEC's been inundated with the USA Today ads. While I'm sure they are trying to boost readership of the paper, I think it may have more of a reason to subconsciously get people aware of the color scheme.

That's a good point. The ads were accompanied with the slogan, "Smarter. Faster. More Colorful."

I don't know how a newspaper can be smarter or faster or full of color since most of the pages are black and white, but I digress.

Here's the press release: http://www.gannett.com/article/20140805/PRESSRELEASES2014/140805001/GANNETT-CREATE-TWO-INDUSTRY-LEADING-COMPANIES-SCALE-THROUGH-SPIN-OFF-PUBLISHING-BUSINESS-GANNETT-SHAREHOLDERS

Apparently the newspaper company will keep the Gannett name. This is insane! Gannett spent so much time trying to tie in their stations with USA Today. It's like someone tattooing the name of their spouse on their face, and then getting a divorce.

I remember the Gannett stations of yesterday, including KUSA in Denver before and after going from ABC to NBC in 1995.

The stations within the group were doing their own thing, including KUSA: (1) theme music from Third Street Music after becoming NBC in 1995; (2) using KUSA custom graphics and animation by TVbD; (3) having their own helicopter; (4) various theme music packages from different composers, including the 1988 It's All Right Here on Channel 9 by Frank Gari.

I remember those good times watching 9NEWS.

Why can't Gannett go back to how good things were back then? That would help bring back old viewers, while still attracting and keeping new ones.

Why can't Gannett go back to how good things were back then?

Because it's not cost-effective.

Like it or not, standardization is here to stay. And it's just going to get more and more prevelant as time goes on.

And for the five millionth time, viewers don't care about news music.

Archived