KENT SHOCKNEK RETIRING

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/8/4/longtime-la-anchor-announces-retirement

It's the end of an era in LA....

Longtime KCBS/KCAL Anchor Kent Shocknek today announced his plans to retire at the end of September 2014.

A veteran of more than 36 years in television news, Shocknek has been a fixture in Los Angeles for 31 years and is believed to have anchored more hours of news on local television than anyone else in the history of the market.

The first and longest-serving morning TV news anchor in Los Angeles, Shocknek was the original anchor of “Today in L.A.,” which debuted in 1986. He joined CBS 2 in 2001 and anchored morning and evening newscasts for the station until November 2013, when he became co-anchor of sister station KCAL 9’s top-rated 8 and 10 p.m. newscasts.

“For years at CBS 2 and KCAL 9, I’ve had the pleasure and privilege of working with the best producers in morning TV; and more recently, the best prime-time anchor team anywhere,” Shocknek said. “Now it’s time to catch up with the people I love, and check out some places I’ve always wanted to go.”

“Kent Shocknek is a Los Angeles TV news institution,” said Steve Mauldin, President and General Manager, CBS 2 and KCAL 9. “He’s a consummate professional who has distinguished himself as an outstanding breaking news anchor with an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of Southern California.”

I never understood why he would move to evening, after being a fixture in the mornings all this time.

But nevertheless, it is indeed an end of an era. He will be missed. :(

I don't think it was his choice. The AM ratings were in the toilet and have been for a long time. My guess is that his "retirement" has more to do more with management trying to shed some salary and at the same time go younger.

Is there any way we can bring back Carlos Amezcua?

He was great on KTLA back in the day. Although I like Rick in the mornings, I think that putting Carlos with Sharon Tay on in the mornings and moving Rick back to evenings would bring the ratings up. To me, Rick seems a bit better suited for evenings. He can co-anchor with Pat Harvey at 6 on KCBS and co-anchor with Suzie Suh at 8 and 10 on KCAL.

Carlos and Sharon had great chemistry when they anchored together at KTLA.

He can co-anchor with Pat Harvey at 6 on KCBS and co-anchor with Suzie Suh at 8 and 10 on KCAL.

I don't see anyone being added to CBS2 in the evenings. I think CBS is tightening budgets on that front, eliminating the 6pm teams and installing the 5 and 10/11pm anchors in that place. Look at WCBS & WBBM. The former is beginning to put both Dubois and Johnson on the desk when Dana Tyler is off and the latter dumped Kurtis and Jacobson to give Johnson and Sullivan that slot. And, of course, KCBS made a similar change last year.

Archived