Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

34 minutes ago, YardLionREW said:

I know it sucks for viewers who just want to be entertained (nee watch DVDs and BluRays), but time moves forward instead of backwards. Maybe in the next decade we could see a return to form.

Ahahahaha! No. We won't. TV stations are going to become less relevant over time.

9 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ahahahaha! No. We won't. TV stations are going to become less relevant over time.

Not in the sense of return to form of watching television (sorry, that ship had sailed), but in the sense of more variety in their programming or it can end up like AM NewsTalk Radio.

On 5/4/2021 at 7:51 AM, YardLionREW said:

Not in the sense of return to form of watching television (sorry, that ship had sailed), but in the sense of more variety in their programming or it can end up like AM NewsTalk Radio.

Probably the latter is more likely than the former.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/journalism/article/scripps-launching-florida-statewide-news-network/

Scripps is launching a statewide news network using the resources of all of its Florida stations......including WSFL. In fact, Nicole Wolfe is leading the effort. 

So, how does WSFL have a news director if they aren't originating their own news? And what reporters from WSFL will actually contribute?

1 hour ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

https://tvnewscheck.com/top-news/journalism/article/scripps-launching-florida-statewide-news-network/

Scripps is launching a statewide news network using the resources of all of its Florida stations......including WSFL. In fact, Nicole Wolfe is leading the effort. 

So, how does WSFL have a news director if they aren't originating their own news? And what reporters from WSFL will actually contribute?

Oh good Bay News9 and CFNEWS13 gets a competitor and at least other providers in Orlando and Tampa Bay can add it.

During their 6PM newscast, WPTV anchors announced the construction of their new set. I watched part of the newscast and didn't notice they were in a temp set since it was the same set as the 4PM news.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Scripps is launching a statewide news network using the resources of all of its Florida stations.

Someone posted the open for FL24 this weekend. I had no idea what it was but it appears to be their answer to CBSN local but statewide. Graphics are standard Scripps apart from the open, and it sounds like they got Stephen to make a custom theme.  

The idea and concept for FL24 is good and all, though the name personally doesn't resonate with me and I keep thinking "oh it's channel 24" even though it's not. I can commend Scripps for trying in an overall growing media market but they're going to need to expend a lot more on brand recognition here. 

5 minutes ago, froyo49 said:

I had no idea what it was but it appears to be their answer to CBSN local but statewide.

This is a good point, and if only CBSN wasn't so limited and slow, it could've definitely been a bigger beast than it really is. Shame for CBS.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, froyo49 said:

Someone posted the open for FL24 this weekend. I had no idea what it was but it appears to be their answer to CBSN local but statewide. Graphics are standard Scripps apart from the open, and it sounds like they got Stephen to make a custom theme.  

PLEASE let this be an alternate music option for the Scripps stations.

I don't dislike the theme music they're using now but this is too good to only be for that news channel. It sounds like an extremely reworked and improved Guardian.

Edited by ColtFromGulfcoast
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

Not too sure why they haven't made a subchannel for this or put this on Pluto. Not too sure what they gain by parking it on the station's website

14 hours ago, froyo49 said:

The open reminds me of the open for 12/13 and 19/20 on France 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be surprised if Scripps does this for Michigan since they own 3 TV stations in Michigan and have MI News 24/7 as I see Scripps expanding it across the country where they have a few TV stations in many states. 

2 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Scripps does this for Michigan since they own 3 TV stations in Michigan and have MI News 24/7 as I see Scripps expanding it across the country where they have a few TV stations in many states. 

At this point, they have the resources to go ahead and completely shutter NewsNet with Local24 programing.

17 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

At this point, they have the resources to go ahead and completely shutter NewsNet with Local24 programing.

Probably a good idea, but Scripps dosn't own NewsNet so how is that going to work?

It's a good way to expand their footprint across states that not only have Scripps news stations, but also any stations they picked up from ION (those they own and the ones now owned by Inyo).

If they are really serious about being able to expand digitally through OTT, they'll put a reporter or two in the smaller markets of a state they serve, but they may be able to achieve decent coverage through adjacent markets.

It looks like WHDT has made the switch to FL24. Last week they kept on putting ads about Court TV moving but didn't announce a replacement. I guess this was a surprise?

Edited by Requiere

2 hours ago, Requiere said:

It looks like WHDT has made the switch to FL24. Last week they kept on putting ads about Court TV moving but didn't announce a replacement. I guess this was a surprise?

CourtTV is on 9.2. Always has been really.

Nice to see that I have a free news channel in Miami (I can easily get WHDT now 😀

Edited by Yankees4life

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

CourtTV is on 9.2. Always has been really.

Yeah, I know. That's why I had a suspicion that something was going to change for the main channel. Honestly going to miss CourtTV in HD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 5:44 PM, mrschimpf said:

WTMJ has given the death sentence to their The NOW as of May 7. I think we're on concept seven now of trying to fill the shoes of Wheel of Fortune since September 2004, this time, it's Milwaukee Tonight (since they bombed with Wisconsin Tonight and can't re-use that trademark); basically what they tried at 3:30 after the second COVID wave until last month (all positive news), now moved to before primetime.

With one of the former contributors of Real Milwaukee on WITI on this show, it confirms the cancellation of the latter.

Will note this elsewhere...but Real Milwaukee isn't actually dead! It comes back at 10 a.m. on the 27th, now led by Rob Haswell.