Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

19 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I wonder if WXMI Fox17 was hub in Indy when Tribune owned them and once they became a Scripps TV station moved to WRTV.

I think it be smart for WZPX to try and get the subs of Doozy & Defy on Charter Spectrum & Comcast even if it's .5 & .6 unless they move them to .2 & .3 move the double Katz networks down. I know Fox17 is adding Doozy & Defy as well you could put one them on the .2 and move Antenna TV kinda surprised their is no double that network since Nexstar owns Antenna TV.

Yes WXMI was hubbed with WXIN/WTTV until the switch to Scripps

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw that LAFF is back on my cable provider (Cincinnati Bell Fioptics). I wonder if WCPO switched the digital channels around or LAFF just moved to another affiliate in the Cincinnati area.

EDIT: Just checked, LAFF is still on WCPO channel 9.5.

Edited by Jakob

• 3 weeks later...

WTMJ has given the death sentence to their The NOW as of May 7. I think we're on concept seven now of trying to fill the shoes of Wheel of Fortune since September 2004, this time, it's Milwaukee Tonight (since they bombed with Wisconsin Tonight and can't re-use that trademark); basically what they tried at 3:30 after the second COVID wave until last month (all positive news), now moved to before primetime.

With one of the former contributors of Real Milwaukee on WITI on this show, it confirms the cancellation of the latter.

I'm not a fan of The Now/Newsfeed from Scripps I think they should ditch the format very cheap I hope that WXMI Fox17 ditches it but they aren't going to do that. If they did Modern Family would go back being a full hour as the second run is aired at 1AM.

5 hours ago, Megatron81 said:

I'm not a fan of The Now/Newsfeed from Scripps I think they should ditch the format very cheap I hope that WXMI Fox17 ditches it but they aren't going to do that. If they did Modern Family would go back being a full hour as the second run is aired at 1AM.

Ok, but if the profit is better than other options, they're going to stick with it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Ok, but if the profit is better than other options, they're going to stick with it.

There can’t be much profit in a show that nobody watches. You could probably make more money with a test pattern.

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2021 at 5:44 PM, mrschimpf said:

WTMJ has given the death sentence to their The NOW as of May 7. I think we're on concept seven now of trying to fill the shoes of Wheel of Fortune since September 2004, this time, it's Milwaukee Tonight (since they bombed with Wisconsin Tonight and can't re-use that trademark); basically what they tried at 3:30 after the second COVID wave until last month (all positive news), now moved to before primetime.

With one of the former contributors of Real Milwaukee on WITI on this show, it confirms the cancellation of the latter.

What is WTMJ doing at 4pm, is it a normal newscast? I’m not In the market anymore and unfortunately (or fortunately for some posters here) I don’t have many connections in the market anymore.

Edited by doublejman69

On 4/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Whether you appreciate it or not, group revenue isn't measured on a station by station basis.

Whether you appreciate it or not your smug know it all attitude isn’t really welcome. Knock it off.

I would try to rebut this but why bother? It’s not like you politely listen anyways. 

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

Whether you appreciate it or not your smug know it all attitude isn’t really welcome. Knock it off.

I would try to rebut this but why bother? It’s not like you politely listen anyways. 

But he's not wrong, here. That makes the difference, in this case.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, 24994J said:

But he's not wrong, here. That makes the difference, in this case.

That’s fine. There’s a better way to approach people here. Whether he’s right or not is immaterial. Being right isn’t a license to flatten people in a condescending manner.

Edited by ns8401
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ns8401 said:

That’s fine. There’s a better way to approach people here. Whether he’s right or not is immaterial. Being right isn’t a license to flatten people in a condescending manner.

To be fair, he told you the fact in 2 different ways, and you challenged that fact 2 different times.

His response is saying "whether you believe it or not, it's the truth", which is a completely valid point. I've seen true snark from this man, there was no snark intended here, just plain speaking. 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctmajka said:

To be fair, he told you the fact in 2 different ways, and you challenged that fact 2 different times.

His response is saying "whether you believe it or not, it's the truth", which is a completely valid point. I've seen true snark from this man, there was no snark intended here, just plain speaking. 😊

Fair enough. I would have liked to have discussed the wisdom of that sort of business decision which isn’t geared to maximize profits but I’ve got a sour taste in my mouth now so forget it.

10 minutes ago, ns8401 said:

Fair enough. I would have liked to have discussed the wisdom of that sort of business decision which isn’t geared to maximize profits but I’ve got a sour taste in my mouth now so forget it.

I would like to learn more about the decisions in terms of profit margins in buying syndicated programming versus producing an expanded newscast.

1 hour ago, YardLionREW said:

I would like to learn more about the decisions in terms of profit margins in buying syndicated programming versus producing an expanded newscast.

I can't speak to the specifics, but from a rudimentary analysis, the collective number of staff hired on a per-station basis to produce an additional newscast is greater than that required to produce syndicated programming, especially with lower production costs like The List and Right This Minute as opposed to the former Arsenio Hall Show or Jeopardy. As a group like Scripps buys more stations, the overall savings further nets out.

This is why I fully expect Nexstar to produce a NewsNation AM newscast for all of their Fox, CW and MyNetTV affils. The investment made in NewsNation is already significant and has no signs of waning (though I would argue about value for the Nexstar, Inc. brand entirely, because it's not their core competency). Therefore a syndicated morning program would A. Reduce staffing needs at many Nexstar stations. B. Drive viewers to the NewsNation cable channel. It's really a no brainer to me. A PM national for those stations a half hour earlier, could drive people to the network as well, if used to tease stories you'll only see on the Network.

5 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I can't speak to the specifics, but from a rudimentary analysis, the collective number of staff hired on a per-station basis to produce an additional newscast is greater than that required to produce syndicated programming, especially with lower production costs like The List and Right This Minute as opposed to the former Arsenio Hall Show or Jeopardy. As a group like Scripps buys more stations, the overall savings further nets out.

This is why I fully expect Nexstar to produce a NewsNation AM newscast for all of their Fox, CW and MyNetTV affils. The investment made in NewsNation is already significant and has no signs of waning (though I would argue about value for the Nexstar, Inc. brand entirely, because it's not their core competency). Therefore a syndicated morning program would A. Reduce staffing needs at many Nexstar stations. B. Drive viewers to the NewsNation cable channel. It's really a no brainer to me. A PM national for those stations a half hour earlier, could drive people to the network as well, if used to tease stories you'll only see on the Network.

Not sure if a syndicated AM show is worth having for Nexstar, because WJW's AM newscast is number one.

Back to Scripps, how are The List and RTM doing in the ratings?  

3 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Not sure if a syndicated AM show is worth having for Nexstar, because WJW's AM newscast is number one.

Back to Scripps, how are The List and RTM doing in the ratings?  

One market's ratings does not a large group's profits make. Nexstar may feel that losing 2-3 morning hours of local news programming across 40+ markets is worth it if the margin is made up in spades.

The ratings (and ad-buy revenue) is very strong in proportion to the overall production costs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

So in other words, it doesn't matter if a syndicated rerun (in which you can watch on streaming and physical media (re: DVD/BluRay) would bring higher viewers or say a syndicated talk show, in which the station has to slice it's revenue pie, with local programming (namely news), they get all the revenue and reinvest it in other properties like (newsvans, helicopters, drones), just to name a few.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YardLionREW said:

So in other words, it doesn't matter if a syndicated rerun (in which you can watch on streaming and physical media (re: DVD/BluRay) would bring higher viewers or say a syndicated talk show, in which the station has to slice it's revenue pie, with local programming (namely news), they get all the revenue and reinvest it in other properties like (newsvans, helicopters, drones), just to name a few.

Sure, if they want to use it as part of the operating expenses or give it to shareholders as dividends.

25 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Sure, if they want to use it as part of the operating expenses or give it to shareholders as dividends.

I know it sucks for viewers who just want to be entertained (nee watch DVDs and BluRays), but time moves forward instead of backwards. Maybe in the next decade we could see a return to form.