Scripps - General Discussion

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like a major news story, I thought this deserved a SPECIAL GRAPHIC, but in light of recent debuts, this is all we're gonna get...  

Needs a beveled outline of the Lighthouse.

Coincidentally, earlier today, I made a spoof of the new Scripps gfx.  I wasn't planning on posting it on TVNT, but now I can't help myself.  Enjoy!     

Posted Images

Glad to see that WSYM got its own in-house newscasts. 

I wonder how it is that Scripps can get WSYM's in-house newscasts going in mere months after the announcement, yet WSFL still doesn't have their in-house newscasts more than a year later after the original announcement.

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I wonder how it is that Scripps can get WSYM's in-house newscasts going in mere months after the announcement, yet WSFL still doesn't have their in-house newscasts more than a year later after the original announcement.

A Fox affiliate newscast in a market where WLAJ long ago tapped out helps for sure, and people will be happy for an alternative to Gray/Nexstar (and Journal was a hamstring to them until Scripps finally came along).

Miami is an extremely over-newsed market where an NBC-owned station struggles and the Spanish stations dominate. It would've likely launched already, but with The CW literally carrying what is usually Saturday afternoon sports filler in CW primetime in months because of production stoppages with their regular shows...do you want your newscast lead-in at the start to be "America's Christmas Choir Challenge" or "World's Funniest Pets"? You'd be suicidal to launch a newscast now with Associated Television drivel.

What you saw today is the final product; anchorless and weather from Grand Rapids with just a few mmj's based in Lansing. It's probably unfair to judge the newscasts on the first day, but if I'm WILX I would bring back the 7-9am and 10pm on a subchannel. 

I believe Scripps has suspended adding a news op in Miami. 

Edited by doublejman69
  • Like 1

Scripps had a webcast this morning about how they'll be operating going forward.

The only real revelation of the webcast was their rather casual dismissal of Qubo and Ion Plus. Adam Symson said that the services weren't "mature" compared to the Katz networks, and confirmed that the company will go Old Yeller on them so they can use their space for the Katz networks as planned. Basically, he brushed them off as worthless wastes of spectrum to be thrown away (and I guess they don't want their channels on their pre-existing spectrum either). Not what he actually said obviously, but that's what I got out of it.

10 minutes ago, Adam MadMan said:

Scripps had a webcast this morning about how they'll be operating going forward.

The only real revelation of the webcast was their rather casual dismissal of Qubo and Ion Plus. Adam Symson said that the services weren't "mature" compared to the Katz networks, and confirmed that the company will go Old Yeller on them so they can use their space for the Katz networks as planned. Basically, he brushed them off as worthless wastes of spectrum to be thrown away (and I guess they don't want their channels on their pre-existing spectrum either). Not what he actually said obviously, but that's what I got out of it.

Will Qubo & Ion Plus be closed or converted into digital services?

3 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

We don't know yet. All we know is that Qubo and Ion Plus are going away.

3 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

Ion Plus; guaranteed to be closed. Their schedule is just second runs of crime series and Cancon already on the main Ion, so the 'waste of spectrum' comment is on the nose. Qubo has pretty much become the last resort network for children's producers to take their shows, so outside of mass E/I credits to keep the main Ion schedule kids-free and little cable/sat pickup, it's probably done too.

And not commented but for sure done; Ion Shop. The days of all-informercial channels are best left to cable systems now. Also expect them to reel back paid religious time solely to Sunday mornings.

6 minutes ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Anything going to change with the new owners of the divested/INYO stations? 

It's probably still going to be ION Television.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Jakob said:

On another note, we don't know the date for when Ion Plus or Qubo are shutting down yet.

We have a date! Ion Plus, Qubo and Ion Shop will be going away on February 28.

https://scripps.com/press-releases/scripps-takes-first-steps-to-realize-ion-synergies-with-multicast-networks-move/

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, channel2 said:

re: Qubo

Dozens of Canadian media executives cried out in terror...

I'm not sure why Scripps didn't at least attempt to sell it to Litton. The distribution deals baked into the original charter have some value.

It seems to me that ION is moving toward the same category as MyNetworkTV, as it will be strictly syndicated primetime programming blocks and local media partners will fill in the rest of the content, likely with locally produced content and syndicated repeats (e.g. The List, Right This Minute).

From a Denver perspective, I'm not sure why Scripps acquired KCDO. Grit, like NewsNet and significantly less so than TEGNA's Quest, doesn't exactly attract a wide, relevant audience. Even if their target demo is men between 25 and 55 years old, that's pretty much in line with the sweet spot of a lot of first run network programs anyway, and those networks aren't producing new westerns. Also, KCDO-TV is the only full power station, O&O or otherwise, for Grit broadcasting on it's main channel... I'm wondering if this acquisition has more to do with ATSC 3.0. KMGH has had signal issues on their main tower due to VHF interference, but that was solved when the signal was duplicated on UHF KZCO-LD (though I'm not quite sure why Scripps didn't piggy back a UHF simulcast onto 7.4 like KUSA did on KTVD's UHF signal).

I can't imagine Scripps would've been excited about Qubo eating up spectrum on their new stations if they didn't own it...

The KCDO deal doesn't make a lot of sense, but I suppose Scripps thought Grit deserved a .1 here because we're Out West.

As for the Katz-Univision deal, the press release does say the migration will happen over the next five years...I'm sure Scripps's thinking is like Disney's seeming patience with regards to Marvel screen rights reversion...

28 minutes ago, channel2 said:

I can't imagine Scripps would've been excited about Qubo eating up spectrum on their new stations if they didn't own it...

The KCDO deal doesn't make a lot of sense, but I suppose Scripps thought Grit deserved a .1 here because we're Out West.

As for the Katz-Univision deal, the press release does say the migration will happen over the next five years...I'm sure Scripps's thinking is like Disney's seeming patience with regards to Marvel screen rights reversion...

Lmao! I'll tell you what Grit looks like after I look at the book.

7 hours ago, Adam MadMan said:

The only real revelation of the webcast was their rather casual dismissal of Qubo and Ion Plus. Adam Symson said that the services weren't "mature" compared to the Katz networks, and confirmed that the company will go Old Yeller on them so they can use their space for the Katz networks as planned.

Honesly not surprised about Ion Plus -- it's basically Ion Television 2, and they can easily spread the few shows it airs across its networks -- specifically and especially Ion.

I'm more focused on Symson's thoughts on Qubo. I'm honesly surprised he would think that Qubo doesn't fit his vision of Scripps networks as "mature" when Laff is one of them (just watch it's promos--they scream [funny but] immature). I mean no, duh Qubo's not mature - it's a network for children. Qubo is a network that still can succeed across the kids demographics and (more importantly) still make them money. Unlike some of the other networks like Grit.

I'm sure by "mature" he meant "for adults only" but that didn't stop Ion Media from running it all these years alongside both Ions.  

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

If any of you missed it, KCDO is back as an indie station. Grit moved to 3.2.

latest?cb=20201231085014

Local3... Ok, Nexstar. Taking a national view. Seriously dumb branding. Akin to Kraft saying "Homemade Goodness From Our Factories"

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Haha 2