Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
ns8401

Scripps - General Discussion

Recommended Posts

On 12/19/2018 at 8:32 AM, TheRob said:

Interesting that in this era of adding newscasts everywhere, KMTV is cutting news. They're dropping midday and 4 (or does that become "The Now" in the future?), as well as early evening weekend shows, but they're tacking on one of those half-hours to the 6:00 p.m..

KMTV has been lost for years.  The problem is that WOWT and KETV are able to pad their Omaha market viewership, and ad revenue, with significant viewership in the Lincoln market (due to relatively weak affiliates), while KMTV gets major pushback from KOLN.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, effseesee said:

KMTV has been lost for years.  The problem is that WOWT and KETV are able to pad their Omaha market viewership, and ad revenue, with significant viewership in the Lincoln market (due to relatively weak affiliates), while KMTV gets major pushback from KOLN.

NBC doesn't even have an affiliate in that area...and the ABC affiliates in the rest of Nebraska (including KLKN) are a ratings joke in comparison. That had been an issue no matter who owned KMTV. KOLN/KGIN has long been the ratings juggernaut in central Nebraska.

Even in Omaha, KMTV has long been a distant 3rd place station.

Edited by GoldenShine9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

NBC doesn't even have an affiliate in that area...and the ABC affiliates in the rest of Nebraska (including KLKN) are a ratings joke in comparison. That had been an issue no matter who owned KMTV. KOLN/KGIN has long been the ratings juggernaut in central Nebraska.

Even in Omaha, KMTV has long been a distant 3rd place station.

KSNB (KOLN's sister) came calling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, effseesee said:

KMTV has been lost for years.  The problem is that WOWT and KETV are able to pad their Omaha market viewership, and ad revenue, with significant viewership in the Lincoln market (due to relatively weak affiliates), while KMTV gets major pushback from KOLN.

KETV isn't available in much of the Lincoln market, specifically in the counties that border the DMAs. KLKN/Citadel has made sure of that. I believe KETV was recently taken off of Spectrum lineups in favor of KLKN exclusively (before you could get both). You can probably pull them in over the air, otherwise it's unlikely you'll get them. KETV/Hearst detest the very existence of KLKN because they take viewers and ad revenue that would otherwise go to them. The two affiliates don't talk to each other.

 

8 hours ago, effseesee said:

KMTV has been lost for years.  The problem is that WOWT and KETV are able to pad their Omaha market viewership, and ad revenue, with significant viewership in the Lincoln market (due to relatively weak affiliates), while KMTV gets major pushback from KOLN.

KMTV doesn't really go out their way to try and complete with KOLN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, channel2 said:

What's stopping Hearst from just buying KLKN? Lombardo still wants out, right?

I don't want to anger the gods mods by getting so far off topic so I'll leave at this, but no not really. Lombardo is still making some money off of two of his three stations. If someone came up and offered him enough cash, sure he'd probably do it, but right now he seems to be content until he dies. Those Citadel stations would benefit greatly from a new owner though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, DetroitTVNews said:

There's a new face on WXYZ's weather team. Mike Taylor, who will be on during weekends, presented the weather yesterday at 6 PM and 11 PM.

He's an in-house hire who came from WMAR. Previous to that, he had a previous stint at WXYZ, as well as positions at WCIA and WBKB.

This could be a definite sign as well that Chris Edwards will actually retire. WXYZ's weather team currently consists of Dave Rexroth, Kevin Jeanes, Hally Vogel, Beth McLeod (for who knows how long) and now Mike Taylor is back.

His previous stint was as an intern. He’s not bad. Allie Hoxie who recently came over from KSHB is awful and yet they let her hang around on the 11pm... she always looks completely frightened of being on TV...

WXYZ has also finally redone the WXYZ.COM lettering on the front of their desk. The Copper from the old 2009 Scripps package is gone and it’s now dark blue just like the flying box. Way overdue.

Edited by ns8401

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 2:03 AM, d247 said:

KJRH has adopted the new site layout.

Now, every Scripps station has the layout. They did it faster than Sinclair's adoption of its new layout and graphics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So KNXV got a new studio robot. It’s from MrMoco and has a large area (in gaffer tape on the floor) where you can’t go near it.  I assume this replaces a tracked camera they had. Put a scalpel on it and it could do surgery.

 

2BAB9CCE-ECA5-4049-A5CF-E16A4F6C3A8A.thumb.png.84ee98ab881f2c9ca039ed9b63740cc9.png

It actually comes in a tracked version as well.

 

It also looks like they replaced their manual pedestals with CamBots.

0583B090-832A-457B-960D-25E154195C31.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rkolsen said:

So KNXV got a new studio robot. It’s from MrMoco and has a large area (in gaffer tape on the floor) where you can’t go near it.  I assume this replaces a tracked camera they had. Put a scalpel on it and it could do surgery.

It actually comes in a tracked version as well.

It also looks like they replaced their manual pedestals with CamBots.

Wow....I've never seen such a thing. Really cool. I wonder if more stations will get something like this. What is the cost? Do you think stations would actually use DSLRs as studio cameras?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PTVNews said:

Wow....I've never seen such a thing. Really cool. I wonder if more stations will get something like this. What is the cost? Do you think stations would actually use DSLRs as studio cameras?

DSLRs really cannot be used in live production. Due to tax regulations they actually cannot run for more than 30 minutes continuously. Video cameras and still photo cameras have different regulations on them that kick in when they can record more than 30 minutes continuously.

That kind of robot is more often found in film than in television, though I know these are more common in TV overseas.

Scripps is probably looking into them because they're really good with virtual sets. 🙄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I heard the new year would bring new graphics. Any updates?

 

Now might be a good time, with those 2 new stations (which they can use to pilot the new graphics) plus the Cordillera stations coming soon. Plus, the current Scripps graphics are quite old although they have aged well. Maybe just do a Hearst-like tweak of them rather than a total makeover?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 6:56 PM, GoldenShine9 said:

 

Now might be a good time, with those 2 new stations (which they can use to pilot the new graphics) plus the Cordillera stations coming soon. Plus, the current Scripps graphics are quite old although they have aged well. Maybe just do a Hearst-like tweak of them rather than a total makeover?

There have been very subtle changes over the years, but I wouldn't mind seeing a complete makeover. That's probably more in line with Scripps' style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 4:31 PM, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

I heard the new year would bring new graphics. Any updates?

 

We're barely a week into the year. If there will be new graphics this year, they've got plenty of time.

 

Rumor is they didn't even start the preliminary process of getting new graphics until late fall. So it probably wouldn't happen until summer or fall 2019 at the earliest.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 6:23 PM, Weeters said:

 

We're barely a week into the year. If there will be new graphics this year, they've got plenty of time.

 

Rumor is they didn't even start the preliminary process of getting new graphics until late fall. So it probably wouldn't happen until summer or fall 2019 at the earliest.

That means we can start speculating on their graphics package that follows the new one in 2026 right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 5:23 PM, Weeters said:

 

We're barely a week into the year. If there will be new graphics this year, they've got plenty of time.

 

Rumor is they didn't even start the preliminary process of getting new graphics until late fall. So it probably wouldn't happen until summer or fall 2019 at the earliest.

 

I'm actually very curious to know how this process works. Do they go to a company and say "hey, pimp my VizRT," and let them work their magic coming back with several concepts, or do they go to them with a set idea in mind and then tweak it as it's developed? Do they consult the stations (I highly doubt it) and ask opinions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently moved stations and my ep said last year news managers at stations were asked to listen to music samples. So if or when new graphics come I almost guarantee new music will come. 

 

Also, interesting to note, my station doesn’t have have VizRT. We are still running with Chryon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, who?cares said:

I recently moved stations and my ep said last year news managers at stations were asked to listen to music samples. So if or when new graphics come I almost guarantee new music will come. 

 

Also, interesting to note, my station doesn’t have have VizRT. We are still running with Chryon

 

Fascinating, so there is some input from the stations (though I don't really expect news managers to have in-depth musical analysis skills).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

 

Fascinating, so there is some input from the stations (though I don't really expect news managers to have in-depth musical analysis skills).

No, but they know what they want their market to sound like and they know what their competitors sound like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MidwestTV said:

 

I'm actually very curious to know how this process works. Do they go to a company and say "hey, pimp my VizRT," and let them work their magic coming back with several concepts, or do they go to them with a set idea in mind and then tweak it as it's developed? Do they consult the stations (I highly doubt it) and ask opinions?

 

In this case, I was told they made up an internal document outlining the kind of stuff they were looking for, with a couple of examples (surprise, it was all the flat, Tegna-style graphics packages in the industry right now.) That goes out to companies that respond with some proposals. They then pick whatever proposal works best.

 

That's how we end up with all those set design proposals people like to come on here with and post about, saying how they found what's totally going to be WXXX's next set, posted three years ago on some random guy's website.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Weeters said:

 

In this case, I was told they made up an internal document outlining the kind of stuff they were looking for, with a couple of examples (surprise, it was all the flat, Tegna-style graphics packages in the industry right now.) That goes out to companies that respond with some proposals. They then pick whatever proposal works best.

 

That's how we end up with all those set design proposals people like to come on here with and post about, saying how they found what's totally going to be WXXX's next set, posted three years ago on some random guy's website.

Scripps really likes using Renderon (do they still exist?) I’m interested in seeing what they would look like. 

Edited by who?cares
I was autocorrected to interesting from interested
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear they're finally moving on with new graphics. The ripoff of the 2011 CNN look hasn't aged that well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.