Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Meanwhile on LinkedIn:

[ATTACH=full]6214[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]6215[/ATTACH]

WOIO tends to get a lot of attention for being an “also-ran” in the market, but WEWS has been terribly unstable WRT management since at least the early 2000s.

Idiots!

So KGTV wants the public help in finding a peeping tom in San Diego..

https://www.10news.com/news/caught-on-camera-peeping-tom-revisits-apartment

Why did KGTV blur the face of the suspect?

Is KGTV worried about being sued by a peeping tom?

What if the was the window of a child? Would KGTV still blur the face?

What if the guy was wearing a trump hat?

Nice job KGTV....keep up the good solid investigative work.

Idiots!

So KGTV wants the public help in finding a peeping tom in San Diego..

https://www.10news.com/news/caught-on-camera-peeping-tom-revisits-apartment

Why did KGTV blur the face of the suspect?

Is KGTV worried about being sued by a peeping tom?

What if the was the window of a child? Would KGTV still blur the face?

What if the guy was wearing a trump hat?

Nice job KGTV....keep up the good solid investigative work.

Eat, are you trying to get on “Next with Kyle Clark?”

Eat, are you trying to get on “Next with Kyle Clark?”

Or are you trying to get on Peep and the Big Wide World because the phrase "peeping tom" made me think of it? Yes, that's a real show, look it up. One of the characters there is called Tom.

You might also want to look up what always comes on after that show. It's called Pocoyo.

• Like 2

Also I partially underlined the previous post by accident. I tried fixing it, but it went horribly wrong as a result of another mistake, so I left it as is. While typing, I was trying to cover the LG logo on my phone with my hand (made very small so I don't pay attention to it), causing those mistakes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Reporters and a photojournalist for WXYZ were beaten during an assignment, one of their vehicles was vandalized in the same attack. WWJ AM reporters were also beaten.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/08/02/journalists-attacked-assignment-detroit/888635002/

Nobody was beaten...

Just the cars and trucks were beaten...no humans, snowflakes or pets were injured.

• 2 weeks later...

Scripps CEO Adam Symson had some sharp criticism of Trump's rhetoric against the press in a memo to employees, comparing it to tactics done by autocratic leaders such as Recep Erdogan, Viktor Orban, Vladimir Putin and Hitler.

His memo also cites polls that find large minorities of Americans of all political stripes (mostly Republican, but even some Democrats and Independents) believe that mainstream news media is "the enemy of the people” and that they believed that the President of the United States should have the power to shut down media for “bad behavior,” saying that the “vitriol and rhetoric in this assault on journalism is hitting the mark.” Symson also discloses in the memo that Scripps has had to increase security at its stations, partly because of the charged rhetoric.

Political leaders who attack the press are attempting to discredit the messenger when they don’t like the message. It’s a tactic that’s been proven highly effective. While I don’t draw conclusions about the endgame to what we’re seeing today, the current administration is in dubious company employing the tactic.[...] To be clear, I am not suggesting our country will become Turkey, Hungary, Russia or Nazi Germany, but it is cause for me to speak up when we start seeing politicians move to demonize and delegitimize journalism, and a fair number of Americans fall in line and eat it up.

I’ve long settled into the belief that we live in a highly polarized society, but this isn’t about left, right or center. I’m afraid what the press is experiencing is the kind of demonization and scapegoating that will lead this country down a dark path.

Before antipathy is apathy, and the antidote to American apathy toward journalism is establishing and strengthening the relationship between the people and the news media. Our journalists and storytellers should take care to report stories that advance understanding. Write copy that brings context to the issues you cover. Above all else, commit to the highest standards of quality and objectivity. Our employees who work outside of the newsrooms can be our industry’s best ambassadors and evangelists — whether it be in church, at a ballgame or during a Labor Day barbecue. Speak up and spark real conversations about the important role of the media in preserving our democratic society. [...] Be careful, stay focused on the important work you do, and remember that we have your back.

• Like 3

Scripps CEO Adam Symson had some sharp criticism of Trump's rhetoric against the press in a memo to employees, comparing it to tactics done by autocratic leaders such as Recep Erdogan, Viktor Orban, Vladimir Putin and Hitler.

His memo also cites polls that find large minorities of Americans of all political stripes (mostly Republican, but even some Democrats and Independents) believe that mainstream news media is "the enemy of the people” and that they believed that the President of the United States should have the power to shut down media for “bad behavior,” saying that the “vitriol and rhetoric in this assault on journalism is hitting the mark.” Symson also discloses in the memo that Scripps has had to increase security at its stations, partly because of the charged rhetoric.

Someone has actually spoken up - wow! I don't think you'd see Chris Ripley say anything like that.

Someone has actually spoken up - wow! I don't think you'd see Chris Ripley say anything like that.

The President has been very clear recently...and most educated folks agree that...

FAKE NEWS is the Enemy of the People.

Start using real "sources" and start confirming stuff in triple.

You might get some viewers back of you do your job in an unbiased way as you are supposed to.

NO Fake News!

• Like 3

The President has been very clear recently...and most educated folks agree that...

FAKE NEWS is the Enemy of the People.

Start using real "sources" and start confirming stuff in triple.

You might get some viewers back of you do your job in an unbiased way as you are supposed to.

NO Fake News!

So FOX goes first?

• Like 6

WEWS has once again hired a news director from KMGH. They haven't filled the assistant news director position yet, though didn't they hire one earlier this year?

https://www.cleveland.com/tv/index.ssf/2018/08/wews_channel_5_hires_new_news_director_from_denver.html#incart_river_index

I have a feeling the investigative team at News 5 will remain unchanged, while more changes happen elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
WEWS is moving "Right This Minute" to 3:30pm next week after "Who Wants to be a Millionaire." Then, on September 17th, the station will expand its Noon newscast back to a full-hour.

The latest to want political $ with the general election season underway no doubt...

• Like 4

I watched WEWS TV5 11pm news, and it seems to be getting it footing back. The station now 71 yrs old, and when you look at other top ABC affiliates they invested in a new generation of anchors/reporters i.e. WCVB, KMBC, WSB, WSOC, WFTV, WPLG, KABC, WLS, & WABC. For Scripps to make that 10 year ABC affiliate deal with Scripps back in 1994. WEWS & WXYZ should of prepare themseleves for the next generation.

My biggest issue is that logo, because logo identify your brand, and it what stand out. The branding name NEWS 5 too generic. I would rather them go back to Eyewitness News, and those damn Scripps graphics are nauseating. The ABC O&Os say what you will, but at the end of the day. Their stations are still able to stand on it legs despite being owned by Disney. Glad to hear their expanding their noon news. Here hoping WEWS & WXYZ can get back on top.

My biggest issue is that logo, because logo identify your brand, and it what stand out. The branding name NEWS 5 too generic. I would rather them go back to Eyewitness News, and those damn Scripps graphics are nauseating.

I like how a lot of people on here think this rebrand was a knee-jerk reaction that they just decided to do one afternoon.

Believe me, they focus grouped this stuff, and did their research, and it took months to settle on this brand and logo combo. YOU may not like it, but apparently the research and focus groups did.

• Like 8

I like how a lot of people on here think this rebrand was a knee-jerk reaction that they just decided to do one afternoon.

Believe me, they focus grouped this stuff, and did their research, and it took months to settle on this brand and logo combo. YOU may not like it, but apparently the research and focus groups did.

...unlike WFXT which has a really bad logo, but did not listen to focus groups or do research for it (this was before the Boston 25 News rebranding, which was based on a survey).

• Like 2

I never said that they didn't, but I just gave my opinion. I know they went through research & marketing and the whole process ,however for the station to have the call letters of it owner, and to be the state first tv station. One would think they would embrace quality over quantity. They can do whatever they want, but we all have given our opinons on everything on this site. YOU don't have to like my opinion, but I'm just sayin'-:)

• Like 1

If you don’t offer the current logo as an either or then the focus group can only change to something new... just sayin...

• Like 2

however for the station to have the call letters of it owner, and to be the state first tv station. One would think they would embrace quality over quantity.

i see the "i wish things stayed the way they were in 1995" side of tvnewstalk is out again... a mediocre logo for a mediocre company... not sure what the problem is... ;)

quality over quantity??? how many logos do they have??? if you don't like this logo... you should have seen some of the drafts... oof!!! this was the best of the bunch... believe me...

• Like 1

i see the "i wish things stayed the way they were in 1995" side of tvnewstalk is out again... a mediocre logo for a mediocre company... not sure what the problem is... ;)

quality over quantity??? how many logos do they have??? if you don't like this logo... you should have seen some of the drafts... oof!!! this was the best of the bunch... believe me...

Why didn't they stick with the one they had or go back to the orignal circle 5? How many drafts did they have? WPTV were able to keep their circle 5 logo, but again what were the reasoning? Look at WCVB, WISN and WTAE there a reason those logos stand out and have been synonymous with their brand identity for decades.

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WEWS-TV

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WPTV-TV

• Like 1

Why didn't they stick with the one they had or go back to the orignal circle 5? How many drafts did they have? WPTV were able to keep their circle 5 logo, but again what were the reasoning? Look at WCVB, WISN and WTAE there a reason those logos stand out and have been synonymous with their brand identity for decades.

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WEWS-TV

http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/WPTV-TV

they did... there were other "circle 5" logo variations pitched too... they were passed on... and most of them weren't great...

the consultants or whoever said they needed a new brand and that's what happened... maybe... just maybe... tv stations that are struggling to attract young viewers... don't want some dated logo and slogan from the 70's serving as their brand...

this happens everywhere... pepsi has done it... mcdonalds... walmart... all for the same reason... to remake their image... hell in the period of time some of these stations have changed their logo once... other brands have changed a dozen times....

oh the times they are a changin'...

• Like 4

they did... there were other "circle 5" logo variations pitched too... they were passed on... and most of them weren't great...

the consultants or whoever said they needed a new brand and that's what happened... maybe... just maybe... tv stations that are struggling to attract young viewers... don't want some dated logo and slogan from the 70's serving as their brand...

this happens everywhere... pepsi has done it... mcdonalds... walmart... all for the same reason... to remake their image... hell in the period of time some of these stations have changed their logo once... other brands have changed a dozen times....

oh the times they are a changin'...

Ok your arguement has value and merit, but remember young people don't watch news, or television. Young people are getting news from social media, or watching from their phones, tablet. If they're watching news. They will not sit for an hour or 30 minute newscast. They may watch a minute clip. Now, you can't dismiss the 35-49 demographic viewer that more educated, and more consumer savvy, and income more stable. Also the consumer who grew up watching that same station with their parents/ grandparents. That brand has stand out for generations.

Again, you said some dated logo & slogan from 70s serving as their brand, but let look at WSB/Atlanta- Coverage You Can Count On slogan since 1991. #1 station in the market.

WCVB/Boston, WATE/Pittsburgh, WISN/Milwaukee the Hearst station have had the same logo since the 70s, but they've just kept their news fresh and kept up with the times.

WXYZ/Detroit another Scripps station and the circle 7 been there for along time when it was owned by ABC. Yes, it been modifed but circle 7 is very synonymous with WXYZ and their brand.

McDonalds brand is the golden arches it been modifed over the years. Since 1971, Nike had the swoosh, and different versions. A girl with freckles and pigtails is the Wendy's brand. There are some logos that have been with brands for decades now. They've just modifed/refresh with new color, but the brand has kept up with the times.

WEWS/Circle 5 and First in Ohio....The first tv station in the state and the market. It maybe old, but it has defined their brand for decades. For Cleveland market the states biggest market. No, it not in the top ten. Des Monies, IA had the same logo on their Channel 5. Whoever said yes to WEWS logo thought it was the cat's meow, but it doesn't define WEWS' brand and looks cheap IMO.

• Like 3