Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if WTMJ drops the "Today's" branding. KIVI did a couple of weeks ago and installed a virtual news set. With the changes Janet has making WTMJ news into a hard news format, hopefully Scripps doesn't make them use "Action News", "On Your Side" or "Works For You".

They tried "On Your Side" as the main branding during the Wexler Trainwreck period when they tried to appeal to nobody but Waukesha County and 'bleed it leads for the entire A-block' fans ("TMJ4 News On Your Side" was how it was displayed); it was dropped the moment Wexler got pushed to the radio side (it was their consumer branding for a long time, but it's been dropped for 'Call 4 Action'), and it can be safely assumed it won't return. And they would've dropped TMJ4 when they got the Scripps graphics, but they didn't and also tweaked the existing logo.

They tried "On Your Side" as the main branding during the Wexler Trainwreck period when they tried to appeal to nobody but Waukesha County and 'bleed it leads for the entire A-block' fans ("TMJ4 News On Your Side" was how it was displayed); it was dropped the moment Wexler got pushed to the radio side (it was their consumer branding for a long time, but it's been dropped for 'Call 4 Action'), and it can be safely assumed it won't return. And they would've dropped TMJ4 when they got the Scripps graphics, but they didn't and also tweaked the existing logo.

Its Scripps anything is possible. Steve Wexler didn't handle the day to day news operation of WTMJ, Bill Berra did and the longer he was there the more power he got. Its uncanny how similar WTMJ and WFTS where he use to be the ND was, Bill uses the same formula. Bill is now working at WFLA is now becoming WFTS lite.

Its Scripps anything is possible. Steve Wexler didn't handle the day to day news operation of WTMJ, Bill Berra did and the longer he was there the more power he got. Its uncanny how similar WTMJ and WFTS where he use to be the ND was, Bill uses the same formula. Bill is now working at WFLA is now becoming WFTS lite.

wexler was responsible just as much as berra was for allowing berra's cockamamie franchise ideas to destroy the station's integrity. "speedbusters"?? "dirty dining"?? and dont forget how he would allow stories to be sensationalized to the point they'd get sued over them...

anyways it's not wtmj that's changing... i will say the biggest thing people on here will have a problem with is the new logo for the station that is rebranding... not good...

• Like 1

wexler was responsible just as much as berra was for allowing berra's cockamamie franchise ideas to destroy the station's integrity. "speedbusters"?? "dirty dining"?? and dont forget how he would allow stories to be sensationalized to the point they'd get sued over them...

My last point about this.. Berra does that where ever he goes. It seem like Wexler didn't care as long as WTMJ brought in $$. The last year or so of their leadership everything went down hill and Journal had to make changes fast. Even though the executives in Cincinnati have made some questionable moves, Janet has made WTMJ's newscasts respectable again.

• Like 2

there is a rebrand coming for at least one scripps station... but 'XYZ isn't it...

if and when it does happen, this site is gonna lose its mind... i can pretty much guarantee it...

no hints. i already said too much!!

By chance are they going to reanimate Dorothy Fuldheim, Bill Bonds, and/or Al Schottelkotte?

• Like 5

It simply sounds like WEWS is just dropping the "Channel" from their branding, going with "News5" and/or "News5 Cleveland."

Which is fine. I wish they would have restored the EWN name but this is relatively harmless.

I never really liked the "NewsChannel 5" brand because of the multiple revamps and turnover which has befallen WEWS since 1996... or that WEWS used that as the sole station brand from day one ("Oprah," today at 4 on NewsChannel 5!").

It simply sounds like WEWS is just dropping the "Channel" from their branding, going with "News5" and/or "News5 Cleveland."

Which is fine. I wish they would have restored the EWN name but this is relatively harmless.

I never really liked the "NewsChannel 5" brand because of the multiple revamps and turnover which has befallen WEWS since 1996... or that WEWS used that as the sole station brand from day one ("Oprah," today at 4 on NewsChannel 5!").

The thought "Why is a news channel running Oprah?!?" Comes into my mind. At least I envision a viewer asking that. Channel 5 or just 5 should have been their overall brand if they were desperate to go away from their old branding and needed to not gum it up much...

• Like 1

That's my biggest pet peeve. I've never liked it when a station's overall brand includes the word "News". They're not airing news 24/7 and it's certainly weird hearing the word "news" when you're not airing news on non-news timeslots.

"News 5" is too generic. It's like most folks used it. WLWT uses the News 5 branding. I'm with you. Eyewitness News wouldn't hurt In this day & age, even though 5's product have drastically changed since the last time they'd used that brand.

"News 5" is too generic. It's like most folks used it. WLWT uses the News 5 branding. I'm with you. Eyewitness News wouldn't hurt In this day & age, even though 5's product have drastically changed since the last time they'd used that brand.

News 5 makes me think of the news op in Tim & Eric's universe...and I get shudders when I think of that series.

I don't understand the cling to the newsnet5 domain though. They haven't used it on-air for years. WEWS.com redirects right to it and is perfectly fine, and though those calls might be a tongue-twister, it just feels like an artifact of the 'citychannel.com' era of Hearst and McGraw-Hill that we should leave behind (*cough*Nexstar should too already*cough*)

News 5 makes me think of the news op in Tim & Eric's universe...and I get shudders when I think of that series.

I don't understand the cling to the newsnet5 domain though. They haven't used it on-air for years. WEWS.com redirects right to it and is perfectly fine, and though those calls might be a tongue-twister, it just feels like an artifact of the 'citychannel.com' era of Hearst and McGraw-Hill that we should leave behind (*cough*Nexstar should too already*cough*)

If you think that's bad, WISC still uses channel3000.com and its sister station, WKBT, still uses channel8000.com.

• Like 1

It's a fair assessment, the WEWS calls don't roll off the tongue that easily. Even during the EWN era, the station was always referred to as "TV5."

That being said, I would probably prefer for them to adopt "WEWS 5" as a non-news brand, though they'll probably use "Channel 5." ("5 ABC"/"ABC 5" is not even on my radar TBH.)

It's a fair assessment, the WEWS calls don't roll off the tongue that easily. Even during the EWN era, the station was always referred to as "TV5."

That being said, I would probably prefer for them to adopt "WEWS 5" as a non-news brand, though they'll probably use "Channel 5." ("5 ABC"/"ABC 5" is not even on my radar TBH.)

Myron has a good point.

Some call letters are meant to be changed...

This may be one of those cases . WEWS just has nothing to work with as far as those calls go. I got no problem with TV5, but I also don't have to live there and watch TV.

Are those calls tied to anything important (didn't google WEWS) and would it kill (besides the accountants) to change the call letters?

How about letting Facebook friends and Twitter types decide the new branding.?

Why not just kiss the viewers facebook asses from the start? Let social media run the entire show?

Myron has a good point.

Some call letters are meant to be changed...

This may be one of those cases . WEWS just has nothing to work with as far as those calls go. I got no problem with TV5, but I also don't have to live there and watch TV.

Are those calls tied to anything important (didn't google WEWS) and would it kill (besides the accountants) to change the call letters?

Edward Willis Scripps, the founder of the entirety of Scripps, which had their first paper in Cleveland. They ain't changing.

• Like 2

Edward Willis Scripps, the founder of the entirety of Scripps, which had their first paper in Cleveland. They ain't changing.

Ohhhhhhhhh...

That explains it.

Edit: Those call letters still suck, they are old outdated and costing Scripps lots of money.....

See where i'm going with this???

• Like 4

Nor will WCPO since Scripps is still headquartered in Cincinnati plus the "C"incinnati "PO"st, a newspaper that Scripps founded, was huge in that area until its folding in 2007.

If you think that's bad, WISC still uses channel3000.com and its sister station, WKBT, still uses news8000.com.

Fixed.

As long as WEWS doesn't change much else, News 5 is fine with me. To be honest, I kinda like the ring "News 5, On Your Side" has.

• Like 2

Also the first TV station in the entire state (let alone Cleveland) and the oldest station in the Cleveland market to keep its original callsign and their historical analog channel number. WEWS is a legacy callsign... cumbersome as hell, but still, legacy.

Fun but silly trivia: at one point in the early 1970s, WKYC was branded as "TV3," WEWS as "TV5" and WJW-TV as "Television ei8ht" (that itself became "TV8" in 1977).

• Like 2

As long as WEWS doesn't change much else, News 5 is fine with me. To be honest, I kinda like the ring "News 5, On Your Side" has.

Outside of swapping in Rob Powers, the rest of the main 6p/11p team - Danita Harris, Mark Johnson and Andy Baskin - has been in place for several years now.

Heck, it took them close to 15 years to replace the late Nev Chandler (gone too soon) with Andy... and close to 1 and 1/2 years to name a replacement for Ted Henry (that being Chris Flanagan).

I only hope that they don't botch the logo, but that's not saying much.

NC5%20black%20font%20(2)%20July%202012.jpg