Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

That is the strangest thing they've ever acquired.. It's a good site for quirky list comedy (new format for the list?!?) but it's a terrible fit...

I imagine they see a future for this type of thing. Last year NBCU invested $200 million into Buzzfeed which is almost all listicles and a majority of their content comes from other sources (gifts and YouTube* videos). I think they see there's future in well produced sponsored content like what BuzzFeed frequently does.

*Still kind of pissed they lifted a video from my YouTube and posted it as their own.

I imagine they see a future for this type of thing. Last year NBCU invested $200 million into Buzzfeed which is almost all listicles and a majority of their content comes from other sources (gifts and YouTube* videos). I think they see there's future in well produced sponsored content like what BuzzFeed frequently does.

*Still kind of pissed they lifted a video from my YouTube and posted it as their own.

You know you could have reported that right?

• Like 1

You know you could have reported that right?

It wasn't reuploaded by YouTube - they probably got it from FTVLive who uploaded it to his own site and MediaITe took that as well. Not worth the hassle. Still somehow got 15K views. It was something of a chyron screw up during way too early where the stock ticker only displayed some very weird dummy text.

• Like 1

"The Crack" weekdays at 3, before "The Now" on Denver 7.

With the right approach and good writers, they could turn the cameras on themselves since the product is soooo bad ..that it's funny in some cases.

On second thought...

They would screw that up also.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
What is the typical source of the bug temp? Is it an official NWS station/ source or can you assign it to any old thermometer like a station one?

Usually has to be station-based so that it has tangible 'movement' and tracking throughout the day since the NWS only updates hourly. If you have a Weatherbug or Weather Underground-based station, all the better.

• Like 1

Usually has to be station-based so that it has tangible 'movement' and tracking throughout the day since the NWS only updates hourly. If you have a Weatherbug or Weather Underground-based station, all the better.

That makes sense,

Thank you mrschimpf

• Like 3

with my local tv station wftx they just changed the weather branding from "power of 4" to storm shield which is much better in my opinion

Well, after all, Scripps owns the Storm Shield app and promotes it for severe weather. I'm not surprised KJRH uses Storm Shield Weather and won't be surprised if other Scripps stations do the same thing.

Well, after all, Scripps owns the Storm Shield app and promotes it for severe weather. I'm not surprised KJRH uses Storm Shield Weather and won't be surprised if other Scripps stations do the same thing.

it sounds much better then "POWER OF 4 "

Now what about the other former journal stations?

they'll get it eventually... this isn't some push-button change... the only reason tmj got it first was because their graphics department picked up some of the work so the (slow) scripps hub didn't have to do it. most of the journal stations don't have proper graphics departments, so...

a lot of the Journal viz infrastructure is old, and they are finding out that upgrades need to happen so the graphics work as well as they do on the stations with brand new hardware...

Yeah. Because "POWER OF 4" sounds like its better suited for sesame street or something else, not newscasts

power of 4 was term trying to promote that they use 4 radars from the weather stations in florida