Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I'm beginning to think that outside of a few stations most of Scripps properties are too far gone to be saved by ABC... They would require billion(s) in investment across all 16 or whatever stations to bring them up to ABC standards. You'd have to completely scrap most of the personell, the graphics, the imaging, completely swap out all the computer equipment, they'd all need set upgrades, new cameras... Sound expensive times 16 yet?

It'd be like taking 2016 car innards and putting them in a 1985 Ford Taurus... You can do it but it'd be a hell of a project.

If ABC was even interested in acquiring stations, I could only see them being interested in about 5 of the Scripps stations at most. But i'll leave that for the speculation thread.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to think that outside of a few stations most of Scripps properties are too far gone to be saved by ABC...

It'd be like taking 2016 car innards and putting them in a 1985 Ford Taurus... You can do it but it'd be a hell of a project.

Time to thin the herd.

I would understand if there was severe weather like a tornado or a hurricane, then those would warrant more attention, but for rain that was forecasted more than a week in advance?

Here's the kicker for those who didn't know: Angela Campos came to KGTV from Cleveland. She covered actual snowstorms and actual severe weather.

I'm beginning to think that outside of a few stations most of Scripps properties are too far gone to be saved by ABC... They would require billion(s) in investment across all 16 or whatever stations to bring them up to ABC standards. You'd have to completely scrap most of the personell, the graphics, the imaging, completely swap out all the computer equipment, they'd all need set upgrades, new cameras... Sound expensive times 16 yet?

That's where a partial ownership stake in Scripps (no more than 20% just to be safe) comes in.

• Like 4

Which is why Scripps ought to be bought by ABC (who can then divest the non-ABC affiliates to any companies of their choice).

A partial ownership stake might. It worked with Fox before it bought NW communications (and had the 2 NBC affiliates divested).

I can't believe that you are even suggesting such a notion, when the mere thought of Disney buying anything television related - especially any TV stations - has been thoroughly debunked, dismissed and discredited endless times on here.

Yes, Scripps is not necessarily the best group owner of television stations out there. But they are not selling out, they are not in a world of financial pain, and - last I checked - none of their stations, even the struggling ones, are in danger of insolvency. Especially to a network, and to a network owned by a company not interested in buying any other television stations, and hasn't since the Capital Cities era**.

I could understand if you were posting this wild dream on the Speculatron boards. But not here.

It's not happening.

No way.

No how.

DISNEY DOESN'T BUY TELEVISION STATIONS, PERIOD!!! THEY SIMPLY DO NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

** Even if Disney wanted to buy WJLA, they didn't buy the station because it wasn't sold separately. Think of a girl who you had a crush on that was totally unattainable.

• Like 2

I can't believe that you are even suggesting such a notion, when the mere thought of Disney buying anything television related - especially any TV stations - has been thoroughly debunked, dismissed and discredited endless times on here.

Yes, Scripps is not necessarily the best group owner of television stations out there. But they are not selling out, they are not in a world of financial pain, and - last I checked - none of their stations, even the struggling ones, are in danger of insolvency.

I could understand if you were posting this wild dream on the Speculatron boards. But not here.

It's not happening.

No way.

No how.

DISNEY DOESN'T BUY TELEVISION STATIONS, PERIOD!!! THEY SIMPLY DO NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anything they are seen as a seller....

• Like 1

More like that they won't sell any of their stations, and maybe they aren't a buyer right now, but what about a few years from now? In fact, that deserves its own thread in the speculatron

Disney has enough to worry about with the pending implosion of the cable bundle, which is bringing down ESPN. They are not a buyer... not now, not in the future.

• Like 1

Y'know... There's probably a greater chance that the current ABC O&O's get sold to Scripps than it is that the Scripps ABC affiliates become O&O's.

Just sayin'.

With Scripps likely to ask for a stake in the ABC network in return under that scenario.

Y'know... There's probably a greater chance that the current ABC O&O's get sold to Scripps than it is that the Scripps ABC affiliates become O&O's.

Just sayin'.

Wouldn't it be a fun ride to see those 7 stations making hillarious mistakes because Scripps cut all the experienced people? WABC playing Happy over a gun control package for example...

Wouldn't it be a fun ride to see those 7 stations making hillarious mistakes because Scripps cut all the experienced people? WABC playing Happy over a gun control package for example...

Or...

Put everyone out of misery by turning those Scripps stations into local Star Wars amusement attractions.

"Brian Lawlor...the force say's you suck!"

And that's why I think ABC really should buy Scripps (except for the non-ABC stations which can be divested into other companies of their choice).

Yeah, and I think Cox should buy all of ABC O&O and merge with Scripps, but it not going to happen. Scripps & TEGNA are so parallel that I get them mixed up at times.

• 2 weeks later...
And people wonder why WMAR doesn't do so hot in the ratings.

[MEDIA=instagram]BAi2ilYJy20[/MEDIA]

Good god almighty...

There's a big difference depending on the stations management:

Their previews are always very hard news heavy for their retooled 11pm...

• Like 4

• 1 month later...