Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I don't know when this change occurred but Ashley James seems to be a co anchor now for Good Morning Maryland. She previously did in studio reporting but now is listed under the anchors tab of their website.

Also you can add WMAR to the outdated traffic ticker list. Weather seems to be on point.

Also you can add WMAR to the outdated traffic ticker list. Weather seems to be on point.

Amazing...

Does it show San Diego road conditions also???

I wonder if these tickers are locked in some kind of "test"

mode.

Or they lost the instruction book at Scripps Corporate.

Amazing...

Does it show San Diego road conditions also???

I wonder if these tickers are locked in some kind of "test"

mode.

Or they lost the instruction book at Scripps Corporate.

Maybe they can get TEAM 10 to investigate?!?

Team-10 would get lost and be late after reading the ticker.

Hey rkolsen...

The wx, stocks, and news are all fine on the tickers here also...

just the traffic....so far in San Diego on 3 different stations now.

Now Maryland???

Are you telling me that you and I are the only people actually reading the tickers ???

I wonder if it's a secret coded communication stream used by the feds to talk to the space people.

• Like 1

Team-10 would get lost and be late for reading the ticker.

I don't even know how or why they still have that unit going. With the departures of J.W., Mitch Blacher and Cristin Severance, there's really nothing going for them right now. They were doing a lot more in-depth investigative work up until this year, then it was just finding easy stories and ripping easy content from other sources.

Although this may be somewhat off-topic, here's something interesting about Scripps' purchase of the Journal stations: from what transpired just yesterday (October 7), it appears that Journal's decision to unload its broadcasting properties and add Scripps' newspapers may have been the precursor to the sale of that company. Gannett bought Journal for $280 million, which means that the newspaper assets of two publishers that used to be broadcasters and one broadcaster that used to be a publisher are now going to be part of one company.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/10/07/gannett-buy-journal-media-group-280-million/73548926/

• Like 1

Team-10 would get lost and be late after reading the ticker.

Hey rkolsen...

The wx, stocks, and news are all fine on the tickers here also...

just the traffic....so far in San Diego on 3 different stations now.

Now Maryland???

Are you telling me that you and I are the only people actually reading the tickers ???

I wonder if it's a secret coded communication stream used by the feds to talk to the space people.

To be honest I only checked the major roadways. I didn't feel like looking up the minor roads to see if it was correct. But chances are if the ticker is wrong about the major roadways/highways they're wrong on the minor roads.

Well Scripps (or someone in Detroit) tweaked the header banner for lists and other such full screen graphics as of 10/8. Now, instead of being one line of text with a colored line below it they have a big plain white bar which has been used as a breaking news bar with red text as well:

IMG_1565.thumb.JPG.151a80cd56e5df260750902a777f3c5f.JPG

I've also been seeing these flat blue boxes in promos and now in a new election graphic they used for the first time during their 10pm newscast tonight (10/9) (the part that says election update is what I am referring to):

IMG_1566.thumb.JPG.b5b3de1da342f34ea5937302dfccbdb9.JPG

I don't know if this is indicative of a slight refresh (the election update style box graphic I really like) or not but the look is changing a little around here although the old header bars for weather and sports are still in full use and the full screen breaking news graphics are as well so the old versions aren't totally gone...

Well Scripps (or someone in Detroit) tweaked the header banner for lists and other such full screen graphics as of 10/8. Now, instead of being one line of text with a colored line below it they have a big plain white bar which has been used as a breaking news bar with red text as well:

[ATTACH=full]2361[/ATTACH]

I've also been seeing these flat blue bars in promos and now in a new graphic they used for the first time during their 10pm newscast tonight (10/9) (the part that says election update is what I am referring to):

[ATTACH=full]2362[/ATTACH]

I don't know if this is indicative of a slight refresh (the election update style box graphic I really like) or not but the look is changing a little around here.

Huh. I'll have to see if WRTV has done this. It looks interesting.

I hadn't seen this graphic used before, I think it's the OTS box from the V2 Sports portion of the graphics package? I like it better than the normal one at any rate. They've used it for a political story as well:

One other interesting thing the last couple days was this customized for Detroit ABC promo. That VO is definitely an ABC talent and not a Scripps one (I heard her do the tonight on ABC for their TGIT programming last night at 8). I haven't seen them do anything close to this before but it's pretty cool. Maybe it's because ABC does so well here and we're usually their highest rated affiliate?

• Like 1

One other interesting thing the last couple days was this customized for Detroit ABC promo. That VO is definitely an ABC talent and not a Scripps one (I heard her do the tonight on ABC for their TGIT programming last night at 8). I haven't seen them do anything close to this before but it's pretty cool. Maybe it's because ABC does so well here and we're usually their highest rated affiliate?

That looks like it might be a "promo swap" spot. Promo Swaps are where affiliates get to opt-out of airing a network promo (usually during primetime) and use that time as they please (local commercials or station promotion) in exchange for airing a different network promo somewhere else (usually during things like syndicated programming or news). It might be from the station's "Co-Op" promo inventory as well, where the network provides content for the station to air on local radio and cable.

I hadn't seen this graphic used before, I think it's the OTS box from the V2 Sports portion of the graphics package? I like it better than the normal one at any rate. They've used it for a political story as well:

Yeah, it's the special sports OTS. KSHB has been using it for a couple years now so WXYZ probably has been as well. Sports has special full screen graphics as well.

Are there other versions for other markets?

• Like 1

It's something WKBW has, and often times this week the regular OTS would shift down a little and break.

Shift down a little and break?

To my knowledge that is the only time WXYZ has used that in the year and a half they've had the full sports package... They don't use OTS boxes in sportscasts nowadays... They did in the V1.

It's something WKBW has, and often times this week the regular OTS would shift down a little and break.

Speaking of WKBW TV, Keith Radford was Inducted in Buffalo Broadcasters Hall Of Fame in Sept. Well deserved for Keith one of the best in Buffalo TV along with Irv Weinstein, Tom Jolls, and Rick Azar.

Here is the link via WKBW's Youtube page also listen at the 4:21 mark "it still lives on".

Speaking of WKBW TV, Keith Radford was Inducted in Buffalo Broadcasters Hall Of Fame in Sept. Well deserved for Keith one of the best in Buffalo TV along with Irv Weinstein, Tom Jolls, and Rick Azar.

Here is the link via WKBW's Youtube page also listen at the 4:21 mark "it still lives on".

They killed the headline teaser before the opens, and they still broadcast in 720p which is really noticable.

And the MCTYW theme is still alive in Buffalo.

They tried to kill it off, I don't hear much of it anymore.

MCTYW has been used mostly in headline teasers right at the start of the newscast, and occasionally at the end of headline updates posted to their Facebook page. That's really all it can be used for now, as MCTYW is otherwise incompatible with the Scripps graphics and Inergy.

It was used as the end of the Keith Radford piece as he, along with Mike Randall, are the last two prominent staffers remaining from KB's glory years pre-Granite.