Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

How did it rate?

No word yet, if I get anything I'll post but we may have wait until November. Not a single ad so it couldn't have been much. The show is done from the newsroom with a freely moving camera that goes in and out so it kinda makes people seasick from what I've heard. Why they don't just use a normal fixed camera I have no clue.

No word yet, if I get anything I'll post but we may have wait until November. Not a single ad so it couldn't have been much. The show is done from the newsroom with a freely moving camera that goes in and out so it kinda makes people seasick from what I've heard. Why they don't just use a normal fixed camera I have no clue.

That's EXACTLY what KSHB does and they get the same complaint. It must be a "required effect" type thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So now in addition to those new newscast preview / feature promo graphics, Scripps has put out these for show promos:

They have those little moving light thingys on the top of the L3 kind of like WLS does when there is a tab on their L3's. They also have the same design style with the different colors with one being much shorter than the other in length and the shorter color on the left side. I realize that WLS is light blue / darker blue. Not saying they are as good or anything, just that that's the closest L3 or banner design I can think of right this second.

WXYZ also used it's downtown studio for the first time on Friday. 5pm anchor Jeff Vaughn was down there Live covering the Detroit bankruptcy plan being approved. Apparently it's not completely done yet but they used it anyway. Here's the first 2 minutes of their 5pm show so you can see what the studio shot will look like:

So now in addition to those new newscast preview / feature promo graphics, Scripps has put out these for show promos:

They have those little moving light thingys on the top of the L3 kind of like WLS does when there is a tab on their L3's. They also have the same design style with the different colors with one being much shorter than the other in length and the shorter color on the left side. I realize that WLS is light blue / darker blue. Not saying they are as good or anything, just that that's the closest L3 or banner design I can think of right this second.

WXYZ also used it's downtown studio for the first time on Friday. 5pm anchor Jeff Vaughn was down there Live covering the Detroit bankruptcy plan being approved. Apparently it's not completely done yet but they used it anyway. Here's the first 2 minutes of their 5pm show so you can see what the studio shot will look like:

I hope they aren't broadcasting from the studio during lunch hour. Seeks rude to watch people eat and also rude when part of their ass is exposed.

I'd imagine they would have what WABC does by having several blinds, one of which is a for a blackout, and the other few filters for letting some sun in and finally I'd expect a fully branded blind with their logo.

I hope they aren't broadcasting from the studio during lunch hour. Seeks rude to watch people eat and also rude when part of their ass is exposed.

I'd imagine they would have what WABC does by having several blinds, one of which is a for a blackout, and the other few filters for letting some sun in and finally I'd expect a fully branded blind with their logo.

Actually the noon show will be the only regular show done from the studio, otherwise it'll be events that warrant it, like yesterday's ruling.

• 2 weeks later...

WEWS has inked a deal with the Cleveland Browns to carry the team's preseason games, in addition to ancillary team-related programming house organ material produced by the team.

WXYZ, WKBW and future sister station WTMJ-TV are other Scripps/Journal stations that are the preseason home of their market's respective NFL team.

WEWS has inked a deal with the Cleveland Browns to carry the team's preseason games, in addition to ancillary team-related programming house organ material produced by the team.

WXYZ, WKBW and future sister station WTMJ-TV are other Scripps/Journal stations that are the preseason home of their market's respective NFL team.

I take it Haslem is leary of WOIO seeing how they messed up their preseason rights when Randy Lerner was the owner.

I take it Haslem is leary of WOIO seeing how they messed up their preseason rights when Randy Lerner was the owner.

I don't think the WOIO/Randy Lerner fiasco had anything to do with this. Almost everyone connected to that story is no longer at the station or with the team. Rather, it's all about the $$$ and available airtime that WEWS was going to offer the Browns.

Look at the radio agreement that the Browns have - it was all about the amount of Browns-produced airtime that competiting all-sports stations WKNR-AM and WKRK-FM were going to give up per week.

Unless this agreement allows for the next-day replay of preseason games on Fox SportsTime Ohio to continue, that's a considerable loss for the regional sports network.

I've been watching a couple of videos on their website and it seems that WKBW is getting help from it's scripps sister stations in covering the massive lake effect snow they've been having. Notice they aren't using WKBW mic flags or jackets, I have the impression that it's because reports from WEWS and WXYZ couldn't get to the WKBW studios to get them (or maybe WKBW just doesn't have that many to give out).

http://www.wkbw.com/news/roofs-collapse-on-several-southtown-homes?autoplay=true

http://www.wkbw.com/news/traveling-to-buffalo-is-anything-but-easy?autoplay=true

http://www.wkbw.com/news/a-snowy-scene-greets-reporter-in-dunkirk?autoplay=true

http://www.wkbw.com/news/southern-tier-dealing-with-its-own-snowy-mess

I've been watching a couple of videos on their website and it seems that WKBW is getting help from it's scripps sister stations in covering the massive lake effect snow they've been having. Notice they aren't using WKBW mic flags or jackets, I have the impression that it's because reports from WEWS and WXYZ couldn't get to the WKBW studios to get them (or maybe WKBW just doesn't have that many to give out).

http://www.wkbw.com/news/roofs-collapse-on-several-southtown-homes?autoplay=true

http://www.wkbw.com/news/traveling-to-buffalo-is-anything-but-easy?autoplay=true

WEWS and WXYZ have been using their reporters on their newscasts too so that's probably why.

It looks like Nima Shaffe was able to get to the WKBW studios; his second report has him in a standup at their outdoor gazebo. It kinda helps that WXYZ and WKBW now use the same Circle 7 logo.

John Kosich (a former KB anchor/reporter himself) probably hasn't or simply isn't able to arrive in Buffalo. Of course, he's covering the area in between WEWS and WKBW, as everywhere east of Ashtabula is getting socked by this storm.

Bringing in Nima and Kosich was the smart move overall, as KB's reporter pool has probably been taxed heavily covering this storm.

KNXV also has the Cardinals (and KWBA in Tucson is their station in Southern Arizona). That said, Monday/Thursday games tend to air on KTVK (the opening MNF game did, for instance; not sure on what's up with the Thursday night St. Louis game in a couple weeks).

It looks like Nima Shaffe was able to get to the WKBW studios; his second report has him in a standup at their outdoor gazebo. It kinda helps that WXYZ and WKBW now use the same Circle 7 logo.

John Kosich (a former KB anchor/reporter himself) probably hasn't or simply isn't able to arrive in Buffalo. Of course, he's covering the area in between WEWS and WKBW, as everywhere east of Ashtabula is getting socked by this storm.

Bringing in Nima and Kosich was the smart move overall, as KB's reporter pool has probably been taxed heavily covering this storm.

Although they did not post the videos online, the versions of Nima's reports that aired here were identical except for "7 Action News" at the end. Pretty nice sinergy here.

KNXV also has the Cardinals (and KWBA in Tucson is their station in Southern Arizona). That said, Monday/Thursday games tend to air on KTVK (the opening MNF game did, for instance; not sure on what's up with the Thursday night St. Louis game in a couple weeks).

I think CBS struck some kind of deal that the remaining Thursday games be aired locally by the CBS affiliates.

KTVK has the rights to the MNF games, while KPHO has aired Thursday night games in previous seasons.

KSHB carried the Chiefs debacle last night.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...