Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

9 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Well… they got some nifty new preview graphics in a light blue color:

Also a new background for use in a multiple person box, not sure how well it shows up but it’s using some of the same light blue color. They’ve had the blue on their jackets for years now. It’s about the same shade that Honda uses for its commercials. Lower Thirds are the same. 

IMG_3693.thumb.jpeg.98ae7dd3100d46f9f9726b3239f21e9a.jpeg

Sports sponsorship bumper showing new sports logo:

11pm Open complete with some actual movement with the logo:

7 News Detroit Sponsorship Bumper:

What's with the Hearst-like rip off diagrid L3's for their 11pm bumpers??

In the scheme of things, losing a heritage brand to a corporate one these days is just another letdown of what local TV has become.   And Scripps' rollout of stripped-down playlists of packages masquerading as newscasts take even more out of it.

I dont know what Scripps has up their sleeve for their soon-to-be independents, but from what they've been putting out, it's a far cry from ever being able to be a dominant player in TV.

• Like 4

On 4/19/2024 at 8:35 PM, Rusty Muck said:

Why? Because they are dropping a name that hasn't really meant anything since Bill Bonds got fired 30 years ago?

Good lord, this fandom is so unbelievably out of touch with reality.

I don't mind the "7 News" branding at all; direct and to the point, though the 'Detroit' suffix just adds clumsiness to the branding just because all the other stations in the market append 'Detroit' to their branding. Nobody is thinking it's a Southfield station despite it being based there. And 'Action', at least for Detroit, is long out of date for a station that sticks to the studio or grabs either pool feeds, municipal-provided video, or freelance video from 'Hank's Discount Detroit Crime and Traffic Videos'.

'7' and '7 News' is simple, and this reminds me of WTMJ under Scripps deciding to add on 'News' to their news branding (i.e. the clumsy 'TMJ4 News Today') because some out-of-town researcher found the one guy who thought 'TMJ4 Live at 10' wasn't a news broadcast and needed it literally spelled out in the title. It's just a pointless 'crouton' word that adds word salad to intros; leave 'Detroit' for the ID small type or for the slogan instead.

Edited by mrschimpf
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In the scheme of things, losing a heritage brand to a corporate one these days is just another letdown of what local TV has become.   And Scripps' rollout of stripped-down playlists of packages masquerading as newscasts take even more out of it.

I dont know what Scripps has up their sleeve for their soon-to-be independents, but from what they've been putting out, it's a far cry from ever being able to be a dominant player in TV.

Thank God that mostly (See KSHB) didn't happen in Kansas City. 

1 hour ago, mrschimpf said:

'7' and '7 News' is simple, and this reminds me of WTMJ under Scripps deciding to add on 'News' to their news branding (i.e. the clumsy 'TMJ4 News Today') because some out-of-town researcher found the one guy who thought 'TMJ4 Live at 10' wasn't a news broadcast and needed it literally spelled out in the title. It's just a pointless 'crouton' word that adds word salad to intros; leave 'Detroit' for the ID small type or for the slogan instead.

Yea, I agree. They could call it 7 News. I mean, come on, it's an DETROIT station. 

• Like 1