Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 12:14 AM, mrschimpf said:

There's a new tradition in the subchannel market thanks to chains wanting to own their own networks (it's technically syndication); like for your local colleges, September 1/Labor Day is "Moving Day", and Weigel is seeing a lot of MeTV movement off stations this year thanks to Scripps and Sinclair wanting their own networks on their bandwidth. If you're 'lucky' enough to see MeTV switch to Stadium or Defy, this is why.

This is somewhat related. The last Scripps' outlet to carry MeTV is dropping the network.

Next Friday (4/21), WPTV is yanking MeTV off of 5.2, and its moving to Hearst's WPBF 25.5.

The memo is on top of the MeTV page:

South Florida Viewers: On Friday, April 21st, MeTV is moving to a new broadcast station in the West Palm Beach / South Florida area.  You can enjoy MeTV on WPBF 25.5 with your antenna by rescanning your TV. MeTV will also be found on Comcast channel 1181 and will continue to be on AT&T Uverse channels 136 and 1136.

No word on what diginet (likely their own) WPTV will replace on 5.2.

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

This is somewhat related. The last Scripps' outlet to carry MeTV is dropping the network.

Next Friday (4/21), WPTV is yanking MeTV off of 5.2, and its moving to Hearst's WPBF 25.5.

Well, based on what I read on Zap2It, the content on WPTV 5.2’s replacement channel is, IMO, God Awful. The channel is DeFy. I have HotWire, and I’m worried that MeTV isn’t getting a new home, anytime soon. I’d prefer it move to 399 because, ever since WWHB-CD 48.4 switched to TBD, channel 399 has been blank with a Technical Difficulty message that has been there since late February, Seriously.

5 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Very surprised they didn't move Estrella to 25.5 and Weigel took 25.2, but it must've been an abrupt drop for that to happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 1:11 PM, CircleSeven said:

Another win for Hearst here. They love Me-TV so much. Some of its affiliates have been carrying it from the beginning.

EDIT: The only Hearst stations now that don't carry Me-TV after KOAT Albuquerque (its on low-power KTEL-CD), KSBW Salinas (its on low-power KYMB-LD), WISN (Weigel has a grip on its diginets across its Milwaukee stations, including WBME-CD where Me-TV is at), and WTAE Pittsburgh (its on WPXI instead).

Edited by TheRolyPoly
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scripps signed a deal for the Vegas Golden Knights to have every locally televised game on broadcast tv:

Games will air in Vegas on KMCC, which is currently an Ion station. As a result, Ion will get a new home in Vegas, as KMCC will be rebranded.

• Like 1

And that answers the question about why KMCC hasn't gotten rid of those old calls for KINV or something like that since the Scripps purchase. The Golden Knights are the true local and homegrown team, so this is nothing but good news for Scripps and viewers; within the ATTRM territory, SLC, Montana and Boise have Scripps stations to spare, and it won't be hard to find a Reno affiliate (Wyoming may be an issue because that market is a complete mess of distant uncaring owners outside of Gray, though there for not of lack of trying).

Edited by mrschimpf

On 5/4/2023 at 4:56 PM, mrschimpf said:

And that answers the question about why KMCC hasn't gotten rid of those old calls for KINV or something like that since the Scripps purchase. The Golden Knights are the true local and homegrown team, so this is nothing but good news for Scripps and viewers; within the ATTRM territory, SLC, Montana and Boise have Scripps stations to spare, and it won't be hard to find a Reno affiliate (Wyoming may be an issue because that market is a complete mess of distant uncaring owners outside of Gray, though there for not of lack of trying).

It's corporate malpractice not to bring the WLWC call letters to Columbus. You can design an entire marketing campaign around that to give your station some recognition instead of just some station on autopilot. They're based in Cincinnati so you'd think they'd have some kind of an appreciation of the way you could market using that heritage, but they don't have a very good track record. They seem to always screw up their businesses.

• Like 1

Likewise in Indianapolis. I would put the WLWI call letters on the ion station there, which I think they own but I'm too lazy to look up. Then I'd start running all kinds of old Avco things maybe once a month. Not that anybody would watch them (I doubt many would), but people do have fond memories of those shows. You could still build a great marketing campaign around those shows to build awareness of your station.

David Letterman doing the TOH announcement, "That's right kids, I used to do the weather on WLWI, Indianapolis, now Channel 63."

12 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Likewise in Indianapolis. I would put the WLWI call letters on the ion station there, which I think they own but I'm too lazy to look up. Then I'd start running all kinds of old Avco things maybe once a month. Not that anybody would watch them (I doubt many would), but people do have fond memories of those shows. You could still build a great marketing campaign around those shows to build awareness of your station.

David Letterman doing the TOH announcement, "That's right kids, I used to do the weather on WLWI, Indianapolis, now Channel 63."

Honestly, Nexstar should use those call letters for one of their stations. They have two of the stations (the former WLWC and WLWD), although WLWT is pretty much off limits to them.

5 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Honestly, Nexstar should use those call letters for one of their stations. They have two of the stations (the former WLWC and WLWD), although WLWT is pretty much off limits to them.

Nexstar does not have the WLWC calls. They had only bought the programing assets of the then CW station in Providence/New Bedford.  The former ION kept the calls and operated the staton as Ion2. It is  now owned by Inyo.

5 hours ago, NowBergen said:

Nexstar does not have the WLWC calls. They had only bought the programing assets of the then CW station in Providence/New Bedford.  The former ION kept the calls and operated the staton as Ion2. It is  now owned by Inyo.

Inyo, though not a sidecar, is operated by parties friendly to Scripps if I remember correctly. It's not like they have a lot invested in identity that they couldn't give up those call letters. Like CBS using WWJ in Detroit, just a way to get attention. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, TheRob said:

Scripps wants to integrate Scripps News more deeply into its local news.

https://rbr.com/scripps-ceos-view-on-reimaging-local-news/

Aren't they already starting to do this on a local level with some newscasts? (read: on (most?) local 4pm newscasts where "The NOW" used to be, most of it is pre-recorded national material from Scripps News)

Edited by kfc513

WXMI Fox17 never aired The Now only daily they aired was Newsfeed after a year they moved it from 7PM to 4:30AM in July 2021 and ditched it and brought back the 4:30AM local newscast. I'm surprised that The List is still on the air I thought that it have been canceled years ago been on for 10 or 11 years ago.

15 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

I just noticed this on twitter.  

"Scripps News Norfolk". Is that how they are telling other stories from other markets? 

image.png.948404acd11735d104a14e1f4eaaee68.png

Asking for a friend… doesn’t anybody proofread anything or understand what the edit button does?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates for Scripps, mainly that as of Friday, The List and The Upside were cancelled, and have been replaced with a live hour of Scripps News a la NBC News Daily, which connects to the integration mentioned above. For The List, here's their goodbye video.

The second thing is that the withered corpse that was the original HD graphics package for The Morning Blend from the Journal days (2008 vintage!) is gone and replaced with a sunnier Scripps-generated package. It's been on for months on KTNV, but just got to WTMJ.

And here's the TVNC article regarding the change; it looks like it'll roll out to more stations in the fall, and KIRO is actually carrying it in Seattle. 

Edited by mrschimpf
Add List's goodbye from YT
  • Like 3