Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

On 6/15/2021 at 8:17 PM, froyo49 said:

Someone posted the open for FL24 this weekend. I had no idea what it was but it appears to be their answer to CBSN local but statewide. Graphics are standard Scripps apart from the open, and it sounds like they got Stephen to make a custom theme.  

Here's the article from TVNewsCheck's Market Share about the new Florida24 theme from Stephen Arnold. It also includes the full main theme.

Stephen Arnold Makes Music For Scripps News Network - Marketshare (tvnewscheck.com)

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 8:25 PM, ColtFromGulfcoast said:

PLEASE let this be an alternate music option for the Scripps stations.

Welllll.... I think you got your wish. WTKR and WGNT are now using the Florida24 version of the theme for all their opens.

Blaine Stewart's Twitter post from the 12th...

Blaine Stewart on Twitter: "Tracking more big stories in our 8:00 hour. Also, I'm loving the new music in our show opens. @WTKR3 https://t.co/3DnWlLwO1D" / Twitter

Here's the full theme from Stephen Arnold Music's YouTube Page.

Florida 24 Network - YouTube

Edited by tw-804
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tw-804 said:

Welllll.... I think you got your wish. WTKR and WGNT are using the Florida24 version of the theme for all their opens.

Blaine Stewart on Twitter: "Tracking more big stories in our 8:00 hour. Also, I'm loving the new music in our show opens. @WTKR3 https://t.co/3DnWlLwO1D" / Twitter

Lol. I know why too, but I can't give away the tea.

I hope WTMJ picks up that theme. They seem to be changing around a lot of set pieces here and there and shuffling things around (there seems to be a new full-sized array monitor finally on set instead of TVs on wheels?), although whoever designed the color during this transition chose a very blinding baby blue background that just doesn't work. 

2 hours ago, tw-804 said:

Welllll.... I think you got your wish. WTKR and WGNT are now using the Florida24 version of the theme for all their opens.

Alright, WTKR/WGNT! 

That sounds much more like them. 

• Like 1

Laura Velasquez leaves WXMI Fox17 after just 8 months she joined the station in Feb of 2021 she is a native to West Michigan as she worked for Wood TV for 7 years before leaving for Denver to work at KDVR and then ACCUWeather Network before she was laid off in March 2020 and is suing them. I thought that Laura would've stayed for at least a year & half to 2 years I didn't think she would be gone after just 8 months.

Ever since Scripps took over Fox17 2 years ago a lot of talent have left the station either to other TV stations or getting out of the business as Fox17 lost 2 of the morning anchors a couple of months ago one moved to Cal to be closer to family another is still at the station doing different stuff.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Lol. I know why too, but I can't give away the tea.

Lemme guess the tea… every single Scripps station communicated how crappy the new music was and told corporate they needed a more urgent cut. 

The “Florida 24” theme is a way of corporate caving and giving them what they want while being able to say “we didn’t screw up… this is a totally new theme that we only ever intended for Florida24 to use… but if it turns out our other stations want to use it, so be it.”

4 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

Lemme guess the tea… every single Scripps station communicated how crappy the new music was and told corporate they needed a more urgent cut. 

The “Florida 24” theme is a way of corporate caving and giving them what they want while being able to say “we didn’t screw up… this is a totally new theme that we only ever intended for Florida24 to use… but if it turns out our other stations want to use it, so be it.”

Too much conspiracy.

Completely unheralded, but Scripps has begun to add Ion in markets where a Scripps station exists, but an Ion Media station didn't;

•For the first time, southwest Florida has over-the-air access to the network thanks to the fifth subchannel of WFTX. This was of the few places where Paxson never grabbed a station in the Sunshine State, and the network's only market to never have a network affiliate at the very least.

•Ion moved from the sixth subchannel of Gray's WBAY to the fifth subchannel of WGBA in Green Bay.

•WTVR in Richmond has it on their sixth subchannel, replacing Nexstar's WRIC-DT2.

•Down in Corpus Cristi, KRIS-DT5 was launched for Ion, taking over for Tegna's KII-DT3.

•For a bad trades-like pun, Ion is no longer KOLD in Tucson (where it was the fourth subchannel), and now is being shot out of KGUN's fifth subchannel. (ducks 🍅, and somehow a 🥫, really?! 😲)

• Like 1

Sorry for the double-post, but it looks like Scripps has also sped up the process of getting rid of the remaining physical studios Ion had (if you can even call them that, as they were mostly all office suites with a public file binder in them) after the FCC repeal of the Main Studio Rule. Many of the stations are now en masse 'based' out of Scripps Center in Cincinatti, though the Ion Media HQ in West Palm Beach is also seen in several public files.

On 11/1/2021 at 6:09 PM, J1975am said:

KATC is now using the Scripps graphics and music (and they kept Robert Burton as their longtime station voice, too)….

Hard to believe “The One and Only” Gari package is gone after 23 years at KATC…..

Is the “Good Morning, Acadiana” theme gone too? If so, Boo!

Jim

On 11/1/2021 at 3:47 PM, mrschimpf said:

Sorry for the double-post, but it looks like Scripps has also sped up the process of getting rid of the remaining physical studios Ion had (if you can even call them that, as they were mostly all office suites with a public file binder in them) after the FCC repeal of the Main Studio Rule. Many of the stations are now en masse 'based' out of Scripps Center in Cincinatti, though the Ion Media HQ in West Palm Beach is also seen in several public files.

Looks like Inyo has done the same thing, moving their "studios" to Salt Lake City.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 3:47 PM, mrschimpf said:

Does that also include the ex-Ion stations that are in markets that Scripps already had a station in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Does that also include the ex-Ion stations that are in markets that Scripps already had a station in?

Yes it does; even though it could be at Radio City with WTMJ, WPXE (along with WTPX, which WPXE previously handled studio ops for) is out of Scripps Center. Looks like more of an organizational move to have one team handle Ion issues, so what FCC stuff WTMJ has to do is confined to that. Not sure of their engineering though, since many Ion stations are still on different towers (WTMJ's is behind their building, while WPXE pretty much has to work with Fox since they're on the WITI tower).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

Scripps has renamed one of its diginets again....

First known as Escape, then renamed Court TV Mystery. It is now named Ion Mystery.

Honestly, Ion is a much better spinoff brand for Mystery than Court TV ever was -- since it is very well known as the cop/crime drama rerun network, so this makes so much sense.