Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Glad to see that WSYM got its own in-house newscasts. 

I wonder how it is that Scripps can get WSYM's in-house newscasts going in mere months after the announcement, yet WSFL still doesn't have their in-house newscasts more than a year later after the original announcement.

1 hour ago, TheRyan said:

I wonder how it is that Scripps can get WSYM's in-house newscasts going in mere months after the announcement, yet WSFL still doesn't have their in-house newscasts more than a year later after the original announcement.

A Fox affiliate newscast in a market where WLAJ long ago tapped out helps for sure, and people will be happy for an alternative to Gray/Nexstar (and Journal was a hamstring to them until Scripps finally came along).

Miami is an extremely over-newsed market where an NBC-owned station struggles and the Spanish stations dominate. It would've likely launched already, but with The CW literally carrying what is usually Saturday afternoon sports filler in CW primetime in months because of production stoppages with their regular shows...do you want your newscast lead-in at the start to be "America's Christmas Choir Challenge" or "World's Funniest Pets"? You'd be suicidal to launch a newscast now with Associated Television drivel.

What you saw today is the final product; anchorless and weather from Grand Rapids with just a few mmj's based in Lansing. It's probably unfair to judge the newscasts on the first day, but if I'm WILX I would bring back the 7-9am and 10pm on a subchannel. 

I believe Scripps has suspended adding a news op in Miami. 

Edited by doublejman69
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple months after the sale closed, KMGH has relaunched KCDO as "Local 3".

• Syndie shows include Right This Minute, The ListFamily Feud and secondary airings of Tamron Hall & Kelly Clarkson during the evening hours.
  • It will have an extended morning news from 7-9am and a "special" 1pm broadcasts. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CircleSeven said:

If any of you missed it, KCDO is back as an indie station. Grit moved to 3.2.

latest?cb=20201231085014

Local3... Ok, Nexstar. Taking a national view. Seriously dumb branding. Akin to Kraft saying "Homemade Goodness From Our Factories"

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

When did KMGH start producing 8pm news on KCDO? Also, they now do 7-9am and 1pm on KCDO?? I see there's also news at 11pm, but I'm going to guess that's a 10pm repeat.

Denver is approaching LA levels in terms of how much news is available around the clock.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/kcdo-now-local3-new-shows-entertainment-and-expanded-colorado-news-from-denver7

Edited by C Block

• 3 weeks later...

Scripps has announced that the KMGH & KCDO Studio facility is up for sale.   They are now fighting with Denver County over historic status for the building.  I have it posted on my blog.  https://coloradonewscenter.blogspot.com/ 

Here is paperwork from the county about the property:

https://www.denvergov.org/files/assets/public/community-planning-and-development/documents/landmark-preservation/demo-cde-postings/2021-demos_cdes/123speerboulevard_cdeapplication.pdf

Edited by DENDude
  • Like 1

How absurd. I’ve never been in that building, but I’ve always heard it’s pretty cramped inside. When you think about how much they’ve expanded with their national projects and KCDO, I’m sure it is getting to be pretty tight in there.

I don’t see what value there would be in preserving it. It’s such a good location. A 5-10 story residential or mixed use building that takes up the full footprint of the property would be a much better outcome.

Edited by C Block

47 minutes ago, C Block said:

How absurd. I’ve never been in that building, but I’ve always heard it’s pretty cramped inside. When you think about how much they’ve expanded with their national projects and KCDO, I’m sure it is getting to be pretty tight in there.

I don’t see what value there would be in preserving it. It’s such a good location. A 5-10 story residential or mixed use building that takes up the full footprint of the property would be a much better outcome.

I'm honestly surprised Scripps hasn't replaced it with a more suitable facility already.

The Communications Center is hideous, sure, but there must be some sort of KLZ nostalgia at play here...it's the oldest active broadcast facility in Denver, isn't it? And channel 7's been in it for most of its existence...

Edited by channel2

I think KCNC has been in there facility  longer, they moved in to there current studio facilities in May of 1966.   KMGH/KLZ has been on that block in it's entire existence it started in a converted car dealership, where the satellites are located now.

33 minutes ago, channel2 said:

I'm honestly surprised Scripps hasn't replaced it with a more suitable facility already.

The Communications Center is hideous, sure, but there must be some sort of KLZ nostalgia at play here...it's the oldest active broadcast facility in Denver, isn't it? And channel 7's been in it for most of its existence...

The KCNC/KOA building is definitely about a decade older than the KMGH/KLZ one. There’s a good tour of it that aired nationally on the Today show in 1959:

The studio at 11th and Bannock is probably the oldest one that’s still standing. I think it was KBTV/KUSA’s original facility from the early 50s. KRMA moved into it in 1992 and moved out a few months ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, channel2 said:

No, it's not. As DENDude indicated, KCNC's is older, but KLZ used to be located in a different facility in a different area. I know this because my grandfather was an anchor there in the late 50s and early 60s.

Also, CBS will never pay for a new studio for KCNC. I'm familiar with a lot of the nuances of the station. They run at wider margins than most.

KMGH is seeing some advocacy for a new building, but I can't imaging that the current lot would be serviceable for that purpose. It is centrally located, however, so we shall see.

9 hours ago, channel2 said:

Do they need a new building?

I don't understand why there's such a hunger here to knock down facilities that are "old." NBC shows off 30 Rock like a prized heirloom, but everybody else's old digs? Gotta go!

Guessing a lot of the staff isn’t working from home either?

9 hours ago, channel2 said:

I don't understand why there's such a hunger here to knock down facilities that are "old." NBC shows off 30 Rock like a prized heirloom, but everybody else's old digs? Gotta go!

Guessing a lot of the staff isn’t working from home either?

10 hours ago, channel2 said:

Have you ever been inside? It's cramped as f*ck! The studio can't hold a weather center (which is off in a conference room). There's no studio B (unless you like a wide hallway) nor way to expand if they want to add staff. News, sports and weather staffers share desks (day-side and night-side).

I mean, KMGH is on the large side. I don't know why they'd need a new building, but CBS 4 certainly would.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, channel2 said:

I would think yes, the building was set up for 1960s TV,  plus I've read in the past that due to the building limits that is why McGraw-Hill installed "Parker Vision" the computerized master control system, because they didn't have room to add equipment to KMGH's master control.  Plus now they have KCDO3 there with them and all of that master control equipment.

And I think it might not get knocked down very fast, esp if the city has already filled for historic status.

The KMGH studios aren't nearly as big as the 9NEWS/My20 studios down the street or the FOX31 News & Technology Center.

Edited by DENDude

36 minutes ago, DENDude said:

I would think yes, the building was set up for 1960s TV,  plus I've read in the past that due to the building limits that is why McGraw-Hill installed "Parker Vision" the computerized master control system, because they didn't have room to add equipment to KMGH's master control.  Plus now they have KCDO3 there with them and all of that master control equipment.

And I think it might not get knocked down very fast, esp if the city has already filled for historic status.

The KMGH studios aren't nearly as big as the 9NEWS/My20 studios down the street or the FOX31 News & Technology Center.

KCDO, iirc, is still operated for the most part out of Aurora (for now). However, since Scripps has National programming operating out of the KMGH building, real estate is tight. The question would be where to put the new studio. Anything outside of downtown Denver is a haul into the city. A friend of mine suggested a lot scrape, but that would make it impossible for staff to work during construction, especially since there is limited off-site parking. My thought is that since the KMGH lot is a valuable commodity right there on Lincoln and Speer, I'd sell that and build a new studio in RiNo (in-kind real estate trade). That seems like a great spot since it's up and coming.

Of course, if Scripps waits they could move into the new River Mile development with a street level studio.

Edited by ABC 7 Denver

I was also thinking that RiNo would be a good location. They could probably rent out a decent amount of space in any of those new buildings or under construction projects. It’s a cool neighborhood, you’d still be close to downtown, and you’d also be close to freeways, which is good for dispatching crews. If they were really worried about parking, they could maybe find some space in the Taxi Building or something else on that side of the river.

Somehow I hadn't heard about River Mile before now...

Surprised Kroenke's actually seeming to gain any traction with it! People seem to consider Elitch's this beloved institution, even though it's...really not great.

Also I have never set foot inside KCNC's building.

Edited by channel2

So I wonder what happened to the KCDO TV building? Did it got sold once Scripps brought the station?

EDIT: The building most likely got sold.

Back on topic, I am pretty surprised the building is up for sale. As somebody mentioned earlier, it is pretty cramped inside.

Edited by Jakob

On 2/21/2021 at 7:24 PM, channel2 said:

Somehow I hadn't heard about River Mile before now...

Surprised Kroenke's actually seeming to gain any traction with it! People seem to consider Elitch's this beloved institution, even though it's...really not great.

Also I have never set foot inside KCNC's building.

I mean, I would love to see it relocated to Larkspur and the true Garden's returned. Six Flags added a ton of concrete to it and management has been meh. 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:58 PM, DENDude said:

I'm pretty sure the reason they're relocating has more to do with space for people than equipment. Most stations technical cores are surprisingly empty these days - where you'd once have three racks filled with VTRs (which take up the space one 2" VTR took up 50 years ago)  you now have one rack with two servers doing the same exact job as those tape decks. ParkerVision was a product of the time period in which equipment space needs were peaking. You can now fit multiple switchers and automation servers into a single rack.

• Like 2