Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

If anything Scripps could potentially be looking at more stations however, I just can't imagine them with Meredith's stations because in spite of the overlaps it's just simply not a good fit for them and I think Scripps has bigger fish to go after than Meredith

40 minutes ago, oknewsguy said:

If anything Scripps could potentially be looking at more stations however, I just can't imagine them with Meredith's stations because in spite of the overlaps it's just simply not a good fit for them and I think Scripps has bigger fish to go after than Meredith

Why is it not a good fit? 

1 minute ago, ns8401 said:

Why is it not a good fit? 

I think that the bigger issue here is that the odds of them getting Meredith aren't looking too good that and I think there may be other fish to go after than Meredith

That and given that Meredith is looking more and more likely they're going bankrupt is suggesting to me that Scripps may have to stay away from Meredith although they could still go after maybe one or two of the Meredith stations, maybe more.

I'll save further thoughts in Speculation

2 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

Yep! WLEX also got one too. 

In their case, it was for an ongoing series they do....https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lex18.com/news/state-of-the-commonwealth/lex-18-wins-regional-edward-r-murrow-award-for-state-of-the-commonwealth-series%3f_amp=true

Edited by J1975am
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CINCINNATI – The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) will expand its commitment to Michigan audiences early next year by producing its own local newscasts at WSYM, its Fox affiliate in Lansing.

The introduction of local news operations at WSYM builds on Scripps’ footprint across Michigan: its three markets reach approximately 81% of the state’s TV households. Scripps also owns WXYZ (ABC) and WMYD (MY Network) in Detroit and WXMI (Fox) in Grand Rapids. WSYM previously aired local news from WILX, the NBC affiliate in Lansing owned by Gray Television.

https://scripps.com/press-releases/scripps-station-expands-news-operations/

• Like 3

On 10/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, LexTVandRadio said:

CINCINNATI – The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) will expand its commitment to Michigan audiences early next year by producing its own local newscasts at WSYM, its Fox affiliate in Lansing.

The introduction of local news operations at WSYM builds on Scripps’ footprint across Michigan: its three markets reach approximately 81% of the state’s TV households. Scripps also owns WXYZ (ABC) and WMYD (MY Network) in Detroit and WXMI (Fox) in Grand Rapids. WSYM previously aired local news from WILX, the NBC affiliate in Lansing owned by Gray Television.

I'm glad... Lansing is big enough for them to support.. no need for outsourcing the news from WILX... Excited to see how this turns out

• Like 1

110? That's around the same ballpark as the Springfield, MA market, where I live. That market's never really been big enough to support three separate news producers. WSHM tried, but in the end, it wound up being rolled into WGGB after the latter was bought out by Meredith, so I'm skeptical whether Scripps can really get any traction in Lansing among the established competitors.

Edited by Adam MadMan

13 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

How is Lansing, the 110th DMA, capable of supporting a new news operation from Scripps, but we continue to wait for WSFL in Miami to get their act together for now almost a year?

I think Scripps realized the competition in the 110th largest market (Lansing) isn't as fierce as the 16th largest market in the country (Miami).

Not only that but also the Spanish language stations doesn't even come close to being dominant in Lansing that they are in Miami.

I think Scripps realized the competition right now in Miami is too much vs what Lansing is right now.

Edited by dman748

13 minutes ago, dman748 said:

I think Scripps realized the competition in the 110th largest market (Lansing) isn't as fierce as the 16th largest market in the country (Miami).

Not only that but also the Spanish language stations doesn't even come close to being dominant in Lansing that they are in Miami.

I think Scripps realized the competition right now in Miami is too much vs what Lansing is right now.

Also I believe WILX and WLNS are very close in ratings so there isn't a dominant force there?

34 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Also I believe WILX and WLNS are very close in ratings so there isn't a dominant force there?

That's also a very good point.

2 hours ago, Adam MadMan said:

110? That's around the same ballpark as the Springfield, MA market, where I live. That market's never really been big enough to support three separate news producers. WSHM tried, but in the end, it wound up being rolled into WGGB after the latter was bought out by Meredith, so I'm skeptical whether Scripps can really get any traction in Lansing among the established competitors.

Difference here is that Springfield, MA by the time Western Mass News was established WWLP had long established itself as THE dominant station in that area.

In the case of Lansing, as GoldenShine said WLNS and WILX (the latter currently does news for WSYM) are pretty much neck and neck with one another in the ratings, that combined with an ABC station with only news being simulcasts of WLNS, yeah for a market that size (and a state capital might I add) I think Lansing does actually have the room for a 3rd full scale news department that Springfield, MA simply doesn't have room for.

Edited by dman748

Getting back to WSFL, I hope their morning news has the vibe like the Good Day format that can be found on most of the Fox O&O’s. You know I actually find it appalling that Miami has only one English language choice for local news from 7-9am, Hard News, and no other alternative. Apparently, to me, WBFS and pre-Scripps WSFL were not willing to compete and provide an English language lighter option. If WBFS were to have one, of course it would be from WFOR.

I mean, imagine living in Miami, raising children waiting to go to school, and it was around 7:30am. You want to watch local news in English. Unfortunately, you’re stuck with the compelling newscast that is Today in Florida on WSVN. This is why I’m hopeful that WSFL in ‘21 will provide audiences with a lighter alternative from 7-10am, along with the 4-7am portion, of course.

Edited by nbc4ne
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, nbc4ne said:

Getting back to WSFL, I hope their morning news has the vibe like the Good Day format that can be found on most of the Fox O&O’s. You know I actually find it appalling that Miami has only one English language choice for local news from 7-9am, Hard News, and no other alternative. Apparently, to me, WBFS and pre-Scripps WSFL were not willing to compete and provide an English language lighter option. If WBFS were to have one, of course it would be from WFOR.

I mean, imagine living in Miami, raising children waiting to go to school, and it was around 7:30am. You want to watch local news in English. Unfortunately, you’re stuck with the compelling newscast that is Today in Florida on WSVN. This is why I’m hopeful that WSFL in ‘21 will provide audiences with a lighter alternative from 7-10am, along with the 4-7am portion, of course.

Miami used to have 3 BTW but WBFS cancelled theirs and then WSFL followed. 

It is madness, I agree tho. Hopefully, WSFL brings in a different newscast compared to 7...

In other news, Scripps has announced the kickoff of its annual "goodwill = good PR" campaign: The "If You Give a Child a Book" campaign, which seeks to give thousands of books to underprivileged kids.

CINCINNATI, Oct. 13, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The national "If You Give a Child a Book ..." campaign will distribute over 165,000 books to kids in low-income households across the country this school year after raising $825,369 during its annual fundraiser this fall.

The childhood literacy campaign is led by the Scripps Howard Foundation and supported by employees of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP), members of the Scripps family and communities where Scripps does business in more than 40 markets across the country. The campaign helps Scripps fulfill its vision of creating a better-informed world.

Beginning January 2021, each Scripps TV station and national brand will partner with schools and nonprofits in their communities to ensure the books go to children who need them most, whether they are learning in a traditional classroom setting, remotely or a hybrid of the two.

Since the campaign's first year in 2016, more than 352,000 new books have been donated to children facing poverty in communities served by Scripps businesses. With the additional funds raised through this year's campaign, the total number of distributed books will surpass 500,000.

This year for the first time, the Foundation invited Scripps audiences to support the cause. Fundraising campaigns ran throughout September across Scripps' local and national media platforms:

• Scripps stations ran multiplatform community fundraising drives – including on-air and digital content – to encourage additional giving from their audiences. View examples from WRTV in Indianapolis here and from WXYZ in Detroit here.
  • National brands Newsy, the Scripps National Spelling Bee, Simplemost, Triton Digital and the Katz networks brands – Bounce, Court TV, Court TV Mystery, Grit, Laff and The List – also supported the campaign with a mix of dedicated promotional content and on-air and digital public service announcements.

The first $50,000 raised during the campaign was matched through a generous gift from The Kroger Co. Foundation. Additionally, members of the Scripps family matched Scripps employee gifts toward the campaign and granted each Scripps station a match of $5,000 toward their local campaigns.

"Having access to books at an early age is an important predictor of a child's success. In fact, kids who learn to read are more likely to graduate, to vote and to be civically involved," said Liz Carter, president and CEO of the Scripps Howard Foundation. "That is why the need this year is particularly urgent, with the pandemic affecting access to books for many families. We are blown away by the generosity shown during such a historic year – it's a true testament to Scripps' commitment to the communities they serve daily and the collective impact we can achieve for the future of thousands of kids across the country."

Scripps businesses place high priority on giving back to their local communities, including raising more than $2 million for food banks across the country in June.

Learn more and donate at ifyougiveabook.com.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:53 AM, LexTVandRadio said:

I like that Scripps is bringing more news options to markets at a time when most other companies are reducing the news options in markets.

Whether or not a market can “support” this many news options, it can never hurt to give people as many options as possible.

The alternative (see Anchorage and St. Joseph) is never the answer.

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, LexTVandRadio said:

Here's WSYM's updated schedule starting Monday.

5-6am: 7 Action News This Morning (simulcast from WXYZ; moved from 6:30-7am)

6-9am: FOX 47 Morning News

Noon-12:30pm: FOX 47 News at Noon (NEW)

5:30-6pm: FOX 47 News at 5:30 (New)

7-7:30pm: FOX 47 News at 7 (moved from 6:30pm)

10-11pm: FOX 47 News at 10

https://www.fox47news.com/news/local-news/new-newscasts-coming-to-fox-47-news-starting-jan-4

• Like 1