Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Scripps is beginning to integrate KASW into KNXV; there is now a KASW section of abc15.com. Looks like they will change from "The CW Phoenix" to "CW61 Arizona". However:

• Nexstar's KASW website is still active,
  • KASW's public files and children's programming files are not on KNXV's website yet, and
  • KASW has not moved into KNXV's studio yet, although I bet that will come soon.

Also, none of Scripps' other new stations have switched to their website styles yet.

Edited by NewsMaster
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, NewsMaster said:

Scripps is beginning to integrate KASW into KNXV; there is now a KASW section of abc15.com. Looks like they will change from "The CW Phoenix" to "CW61 Arizona". However:

• KASW's public files and children's programming files are not on KNXV's website yet, and
  • KASW has not moved into KNXV's studio yet, although I bet that will come soon.

Also, none of Scripps' other new stations have switched to their website styles yet.

They sure love pushing the Arizona... What is this, the 90s? (Ironically, when KNXV debuted its news operation in 1994, they were the only news outlet without an Arizona gimmick: "Arizona's Family", "Arizona 5", "Spirit of Arizona", "Arizona's News Station".)

Tuning in now, they're still running "30-Second Download" capsule-type spots with the "YourPHX.com" URL but they now end with the new CW61 Arizona logo.

They hadn't branded as channel 61 alone since about 2002 (when they went to "WB 6/61").

Edited by Samantha

I'm sure they'll move KASW to KNXV in due time.. I know where both stations are and it's a decent drive between the two... KASW is located at 7th St. and Missouri, while KNXV is at 44th st and Washington, near Loop 202.  Makes sense to condense it to KNXV

Edited by MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I'm sure they'll move KASW to KNXV in due time.. I know where both studios are and it's a decent drive between the two... KASW is located at 7th St. and Missouri, while KNXV is at 44th st and Washington, near Loop 202.  Makes sense to condense it to KNXV

I would be surprised if they didn't consolidate.  But I'm sure it takes some time to get the master control, transmitter link, and all the other equipment and stuff relocated to KNXV's facilities. 

Especially if KNXV is going to be debuting new gfx anytime soon, I'd assume getting KASW relocated isn't at the top of their priority list.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I would be surprised if they didn't consolidate.  But I'm sure it takes some time to get the master control, transmitter link, and all the other equipment and stuff relocated to KNXV's facilities. 

Especially if KNXV is going to be debuting new gfx anytime soon, I'd assume getting KASW relocated isn't at the top of their priority list.

Master Control for KASW and WSFL goes live in Indy on Monday. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, who?cares said:

Master Control for KASW and WSFL goes live in Indy on Monday. 

So there isn't as much to move over to KNXV, then.

But Wikipedia is claiming on KASW's page that KASW's master control and "most internal operations" are "based" at KNXV's studios.  I'm thinking Wikipedia might need to fix that.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious how they deal with moving master controls.  Do they need to take the station off the air while the switch is made?  Or can it be done internally without interrupting the signal or programming?

Edited by TheRyan

19 hours ago, TheRyan said:

Slightly off-topic, but I'm curious how they deal with moving master controls.  Do they need to take the station off the air while the switch is made?  Or can it be done internally without interrupting the signal or programming?

You shouldn't have to take the station off the air (or get knocked off the air) with a little proper planning.

Don't Try This At Home or Without proper Adult Supervision.

Pretty simple actually...

Your video,audio and data links all (presumably) have active back-up paths and circuits, that are used for maintenance or emergencies..

They are extra channels or spare "pipelines".

On the big day, all you do is switch to the back-up circuits while you shut down the "main feeds" and establish and test the new signals.

Once you are happy with the new signals...you just switch back from the back-up line to the main lines.

...and since you did a secret "test of the test" a few hours or days before...you are certain all will be fine once it's all "official".

Practice Safe Engineering for a Green Planet.

Edited by Eat News
Raina ,Wuno, - All day All Night (MV)..https://youtu.be/QRC6AYnaf2U
  • Thanks 4

It pretty much involves building out the new site and configuring it with all of the feeds and programs, of course this involves some redundancy in the transition phase where materials are fed to both locations for operations and testing.

And it should pretty much be a flick of a switch where the old site no longer feeds then the new site kicks in.

And as a safety measure, the old site is usually kept going a little while longer (if it was automated) as a backup in case there are hiccups or failures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They changed over the social handles to the new name so those did go along. The yourphx.com site is probably going to go away once all the important and mandated stuff is on the new one.

Worth noting here that as part of ATSC 3.0 work the KASW mux is planned as the high power 3.0 test site complete with three DTS facilities. The KNXV mux would air KASW's main programming and Grit sub and the other subchannels are placed with other stations. (This would also see the ATSC 3.0 mirrors of some of the stations on KFPH-CD be moved over to KASW.)

A few other KASW notes...

• MMJ Adam Waltz, who hosted the 30 Second Download and Phoenix Rising halftime show, is now a reporter for KNXV as well and his bio has been added. (Not a bad way to return to news reporting: his last news gig was at the NPG TV operation in St. Joseph, MO!) He says he'll still be doing the 30-Second Downloads "for the time being".
  • MMJ Chloe Mar also made the move to reporting at ABC15.
  • Their other on-camera personality, Hailey Frances (who also was KASW's "Content Manager"), is not listed and hasn't mentioned anything about ABC15 on her Twitter, so I'm unsure what she's up to. Given the lack of social media postings on a regular basis from the CW61 Arizona accounts... They removed that one post that they had that was a sports show live feed from WOOD, so it had to have been unintentional.
  • The yourphx.com site now shows Anita Helt as the general manager of KASW. She is KNXV's GM and also the only person on that site with an @abc15.com address.

Scripps's next priorities, outside of general integration, should be renewing the Phoenix Rising deal and getting local news on 61. Those are big ratings and promotional drivers to the station.

Edited by Samantha
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 3:49 PM, NewsMaster said:

They've now closed down the Nexstar site and the yourphx url redirected to the new CW 61 site. The old site was still up yesterday.

Edited by CircleSeven

3 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

WXMI and WPIX has now gone from the Tribune web layout to the Scripps layout

http://www.fox17online.com

http://www.pix11.com

Also, the WXMI logo no longer has the Fox Searchlights in the 17 box...

You can add the following:

WSFL

We'll update as migrations continue.

From the nice touch department... WXYZ has started using the traditional “Good evening I’m”... across all of its newscasts when there isn’t breaking news leading off... its been almost 10 years since they used this style of open consistently. They’ve started doubling down on hard news so this may be connected to that. 

• Like 3

Isn’t WCPO supposed to be a major station? 

Happened to run into this video and I don’t have words to describe how bad this live shot went... 

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/riverside/pd-train-derailment-closes-river-road

Im not sure if I should feel sorry for the reporter or what... but what she’s saying is unintelligible...

• Confused 1