Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s WXYZ’s new 11pm teaser graphics... the cities scroll at the bottom. There’s a cityscape “next on 7 action news at 11” graphic that comes before this, I’ll try to grab a shot of it. Maybe this is the direction Scripps will go later this year?

3EBEDAB3-8160-43A4-AF73-BD76EB7E6A36.thumb.jpeg.b91c347f666fda16d610a2ea5c621eef.jpeg

Edited by ns8401
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

Here’s WXYZ’s new 11pm teaser graphics... the cities scroll at the bottom. There’s a cityscape “next on 7 action news at 11” graphic that comes before this, I’ll try to grab a shot of it. Maybe this is the direction Scripps will go later this year?

3EBEDAB3-8160-43A4-AF73-BD76EB7E6A36.thumb.jpeg.b91c347f666fda16d610a2ea5c621eef.jpeg

Reminds me a bit of the Limerick graphics and the former TEGNA package.

17 hours ago, ns8401 said:

I see a mix of Tegna and Raycom (Gray) influence in it. Looks pretty good

On 8/12/2019 at 10:18 PM, ns8401 said:

2011 called. It wants its graphics back. No way this is going to be the ‘new’ package. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 10:09 AM, who?cares said:

I learned that the CSD’s have been shown the new package at a recent meeting. Apparently some of them tried to take pictures and they were made to delete them. Still no estimated launch date.

So we're pretty certain their is a new look coming? What about music? Kind if tired of Inergy.

2 hours ago, jbnews said:

So we're pretty certain their is a new look coming? What about music? Kind if tired of Inergy.

I haven’t heard of new music. I would say that Inergy since pretty well used across by non-Scripps shops, they’d be pretty inclined to get a new package. Also, personally every station I’ve worked at has used Inergy and I’m tired of hearing it. 😂

12 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

2011 called. It wants its graphics back. No way this is going to be the ‘new’ package. 

Note that I said “direction”.. 2012 is when the current Scripps graphics were introduced and this paper flat look wasn’t even in then anyways... but it’s way in now... 

6 hours ago, jbnews said:

There is a new look coming eventually. When it debuts is anyone's guess. As of right now, we have no real confirmation as to what it will look like or if there's any progress on it.

We know they prepared a document to send to potential design companies asking them to pitch graphics along the lines of Tegna and other similar packages.

54 minutes ago, Weeters said:

There is a new look coming eventually. When it debuts is anyone's guess. As of right now, we have no real confirmation as to what it will look like or if there's any progress on it.

We know they prepared a document to send to potential design companies asking them to pitch graphics along the lines of Tegna and other similar packages.

Across between Tegna and Hearst would be nice.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:18 PM, ns8401 said:

How have none of you noticed the resemblance to World News Tonight? That's what I first thought of.

• Like 1

Screen shots are always better:

A9CDC4E4-6418-47DA-A3AF-AD798BBF63E6.thumb.png.1e514f08adb968419c87a1f1ea078380.png

3890CB03-1532-4D87-966D-5705EA04DD3C.thumb.png.b05cb877f2db44517ae938a865ae6cce.png

Somebody should tell them to update the computer that runs their livestream... wouldn’t want it unsupported or anything... that message disappeared when the newscast actually came on so it was only on this placeholder screen during breaks. The new graphic is also used as a headline card on monitor shots and it can turn red for breaking news. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Somebody should tell them to update the computer that runs their livestream... wouldn’t want it unsupported or anything...

And as soon as IT comes in, there's going to be the inevitable "No, you can't update this, you're gonna break this that and the other"...followed by the email chains with bosses CC'd when IT updates it anyway.

(Good times.)

• Haha 3

On 8/14/2019 at 1:20 PM, ns8401 said:

Note that I said “direction”.. 2012 is when the current Scripps graphics were introduced and this paper flat look wasn’t even in then anyways... but it’s way in now... 

This look is neither paper, nor flat, to this reporter’s eyes. 

Edited by MarkBRollins88_v2

21 hours ago, ns8401 said:

What prey tell is non flat about it?

That whole mess all up the left side is not flat. Neither is the ugly ticker across the bottom. And the fake light shining on the bottom left corner... that’s about as non-flat as you can get. 

2 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

That whole mess all up the left side is not flat. Neither is the ugly ticker across the bottom. And the fake light shining on the bottom left corner... that’s about as non-flat as you can get. 

Perhaps you have a new definition of flat you would like to share with the rest of us? It’s a damn sight flatter than:

5DBB8C27-D02F-4D8D-B513-867E9362AE02.thumb.png.9d1ff4fa0a222fd80d1691154428d2cf.pngEEE7574C-4B2B-4A25-840B-ACFE393BC9E5.thumb.png.9f48301d30d1b3a75626baa951a1451c.png

These have 3D elements galore... where do you see a similar element in the new version? I don’t even see a single rounded edge or deep curve or anything...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MarkBRollins88_v2 said:

But...tickers are inherently flat...and the "whole mess" on the left is something that would probably be called "layers." You can have layers of something and it still be flat. The light is effectively lip gloss.

If you think that's "about as non-flat as you can get," then what does that make WPTV's 2009 look? 5D?

• Like 2

On 8/17/2019 at 1:05 AM, ns8401 said:

Perhaps you have a new definition of flat you would like to share with the rest of us? It’s a damn sight flatter than:

5DBB8C27-D02F-4D8D-B513-867E9362AE02.thumb.png.9d1ff4fa0a222fd80d1691154428d2cf.pngEEE7574C-4B2B-4A25-840B-ACFE393BC9E5.thumb.png.9f48301d30d1b3a75626baa951a1451c.png

These have 3D elements galore... where do you see a similar element in the new version? I don’t even see a single rounded edge or deep curve or anything...

(Oh, didn’t realize only some graphics are allowed to be non-flat.)

Actually... it is possible that these graphics you presented are non-flat, but so is this Scripps garbage we’re talking about too. It is in fact possible that multiple packages can have non-flat elements. Some can have more than others. But that doesn’t mean those others are now magically flat. You wanna see flat? Look at Tegna’s graphics or WISC’s graphics. That’s flat. 

Knock it off. Those graphics are certainly a lot flatter than the shiny glass panels that all other Scripps graphics have.

That said, hasn't WXYZ had one-off topical graphics for a while now? I feel like we've been here before, wondering if some different topical graphics were a sign of things to come.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Weeters said:

Knock it off. Those graphics are certainly a lot flatter than the shiny glass panels that all other Scripps graphics have.

That said, hasn't WXYZ had one-off topical graphics for a while now? I feel like we've been here before, wondering if some different topical graphics were a sign of things to come.

Possibly? As the years have gone by it seems like Scripps stations have been allowed some form of individual creative freedom because the look certainly isn't has cohesive as it once was. To entertain you, it makes me wonder if they're considering pulling a Nexstar and having a unique look for each affiliate. I suggest that because, again, that topical is reminiscent of World News Tonight.

6 hours ago, Weeters said:

They last got some in 2014 so I think wondering a full 5 years later is fair game and they were preview graphics and not topicals used regularly in newscast when going to break. That said it’s fun to have something different to look at regardless of whether it tells the future...

Edited by ns8401