Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if this acquisition pushes the debut of any new graphics back. Now they have MORE stations to upgrade to Viz, when it looks like they still haven't finished their legacy stations (at least KGTV is still on Chyron)

Graphics should be the least of Scripps worries right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Other Cordillera stations that now have the Scripps layout:

KRIS (and KZTV)

KIVI/KSAW (it looks like they've adopted the Scripps graphics too)

KSBY, KTVQ, KRTV, KXLF, KBZK, KPAX, KXLH and KTVH don't have the layout just yet.

KIVI/KSAW are ex-Journal stations so they've been with Scripps for several years.

4 hours ago, Weeters said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this acquisition pushes the debut of any new graphics back. Now they have MORE stations to upgrade to Viz, when it looks like they still haven't finished their legacy stations (at least KGTV is still on Chyron)

Exactly. All of the Tribune stations Scripps is getting are on Trib's in-house newsroom operating system and graphics software. There's a lot that has to be upgraded/changed. We're getting the impression any graphics and music changes are not on the horizon for 2018.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:52 AM, Weeters said:

Scripps already has plans to launch a new graphics package later this year.

Edited by Conrad

22 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Scripps already has plans to launch a new graphics package later this year.

"Later this year" is what people on here were saying last year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Weeters said:

"Later this year" is what people on here were saying last year.

I'll believe it when I see it.

We've been told to expect a new package around November sweeps. 

Last year our managers were given music samples to chose from.

But, I fully think corporate will wait until they finish with the Tribune acquisitions. 

Maybe, we'll be surprised.

12 hours ago, who?cares said:

We've been told to expect a new package around November sweeps. 

Last year our managers were given music samples to chose from.

But, I fully think corporate will wait until they finish with the Tribune acquisitions. 

Maybe, we'll be surprised.

"Around" meaning +/- (usually +) 2 or 3 months. Perhaps February sweeps 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

While the play button is getting pretty tired across the board, I can't say I hate it. Easy to read, not an uninspired flat design, full width of the screen used with no stupid branding box to the left. It's something I could live with, but I'll believe it when I see it used on-air.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, alaskanews said:

I noticed this on a KMGH live stream today.

*ducks and covers*

A117CD4C-6172-4F3C-81C2-CA61EB8AD5A5.png

95% sure this was done in-house. There seems to be little care for how their stations do graphics on Facebook Live. WTMJ uses the news graphics, but the fonts and text colors are all wrong. A quick look through a lot of their stations Facebook pages show that most don't use graphics on Facebook Live, and those that do are inconsistent. KNXV uses massive versions of the news graphics with weird elements. WFTS, in the same building as the graphics hub, uses this mess.

Long story short, I don't think anyone is paying attention to how the stations present themselves on Facebook Live. I have a hunch that they've grown so much in recent years, the stations are free to get away with a lot more than they used to be able to.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

95% sure this was done in-house. There seems to be little care for how their stations do graphics on Facebook Live. WTMJ uses the news graphics, but the fonts and text colors are all wrong. A quick look through a lot of their stations Facebook pages show that most don't use graphics on Facebook Live, and those that do are inconsistent. KNXV uses massive versions of the news graphics with weird elements. WFTS, in the same building as the graphics hub, uses this mess.

Long story short, I don't think anyone is paying attention to how the stations present themselves on Facebook Live. I have a hunch that they've grown so much in recent years, the stations are free to get away with a lot more than they used to be able to.

Btw, if you watched that KNXV video link you provided, they may have shown some attention to their competitors, KTVK and KPHO as the chopper showed one of their news vans and the copter was like... woah. We're done. We're getting out.

Sorry for going off-topic but... lmao. It deserves a laugh.